Society/Culture Drag Queen Story Time Cancellations

Remove this Banner Ad

schneebly111

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2023
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought this deserved a thread of its own instead of being lumped into other threads. I’m very dismayed recently at the cancellation of various drag queen story time events or them moved online to ensure safety of staff, parents and kids:

These events are being cancelled due threats and abuse received from far right protesters, the same anti vaccination groups, closely aligned with the neo Nazis and some religious fundamentalists.

I thought in Australia if a group was going around violently threatening a kid’s event 99% of society would want the government and police to crack down on that group and to ensure the kid’s can safely attend that event. However we seem to be kowtowing to the protesters and not doing anything to ensure these legal events can go ahead safely?

Even if you personally would not attend a drag queen event every parent has the right to decide whether or not they should attend such an event, and not have themselves or their children face harassment.

I don’t get what the problem is. If some parents want their kids to go and see it, then go for it. If you don’t want your kids to go, then don’t.
What’s the issue?

Being forced to be in attendance is one thing, but a public library event isn’t that.

It’s not for me personally, but I don’t get why anyone would want to go and protest for someone else’s children, knowing that those parents are happy with their decision.

Last edited:
I live very close to Eltham and was interested to see how this went. Eltham was targeted some time ago for a United Patriots Front protest, there'd been a group of Sudanese (I think) refugees move into an old people's village I think. Anyway no one rocked up other than 10 or so of those ****wits, Eltham is very white but I don't think there are many Nazis luckily.

These things have trickle down effects everywhere, De Santis started with drag now he's passed laws allowing doctors to deny healthcare to any LGBTQIA+ people they feel like it. Talking to my gay mates there's a general feeling that for the first time in a good while we feel more threatened and that there's a get even process going on in some corners for marriage equality.

I don’t get what the problem is. If some parents want their kids to go and see it, then go for it. If you don’t want your kids to go, then don’t.
What’s the issue?

Being forced to be in attendance is one thing, but a public library event isn’t that.

It’s not for me personally, but I don’t get why anyone would want to go and protest for someone else’s children, knowing that those parents are happy with their decision.
Parents who don't like their children are excluded from hearing a story because of their own paranoia.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s their decision. It’s their kids.
If they go about it the correct way and don’t impact other parents/kids being able to go, I can’t and won’t criticise their decision making.
OK, they want 'inclusion' for their children, and freedom from the consequences for their decision.

... well, that's a bit ****ed.

Here's an idea: perhaps let's remove the cops from protecting nazis at protests and plonk them at these events, to ensure that those who would seek to be inclusive are protected whilst doing so.

Yeah totally.

Though the thought of kids going to the library and walking past cops and cookers: might just be a bit too traumatic.

These things have trickle down effects everywhere, De Santis started with drag now he's passed laws allowing doctors to deny healthcare to any LGBTQIA+ people they feel like it. Talking to my gay mates there's a general feeling that for the first time in a good while we feel more threatened and that there's a get even process going on in some corners for marriage equality.

Florida is a bit ****ed at the moment. They just banned a kids book by Mem Fox because it has a picture of someone having a bath (no naughty bits showing btw) in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I live very close to Eltham and was interested to see how this went. Eltham was targeted some time ago for a United Patriots Front protest, there'd been a group of Sudanese (I think) refugees move into an old people's village I think. Anyway no one rocked up other than 10 or so of those *******s, Eltham is very white but I don't think there are many Nazis luckily.
True of the entire country. Nothing blown more out of proportion than the claims the amount of nazis supposedly running around

I don't get why we need to import every completely unnecessary US culture war BS issue now.
Cos social media echo chambers and smartphones.

If people put their phones down for one second and actually talked to real people about what they think of these things it wouldn't get quite so stupid all the time.

This seems like such a weird thing to care about or stand up for

I mean we are living in a time where we have the highest usage of child slaves ever and this is the issue we are protesting and stand up for?

A ton of energy focused on niche issues as opposed to ones which impact 1 in 10 children worldwide...

This seems like such a weird thing to care about or stand up for

I mean we are living in a time where we have the highest usage of child slaves ever and this is the issue we are protesting and stand up for?

A ton of energy focused on niche issues as opposed to ones which impact 1 in 10 children worldwide...
Mate, even if you were to focus on more 'selfish' issues:

Where are the protests over cost of living? Ridiculous rent hikes? Low wage growth? Resource companies paying f all tax?

The genius of the Right's puppet masters is in curating what to their minions get angry about.

OK, they want 'inclusion' for their children, and freedom from the consequences for their decision.

No. They want to right to attend a library with their small children for a reading event and not have a bunch of meth’d up cookers and religious nutters screaming at them to “repent” and calling them “pedophiles” as they walk in the library.

Take a look at the cookers live-streaming themselves, in Perth yesterday it was a split between meth’d up cookers, fundamentalist “repent” types, Proud Boys and Nazis.

Mate, even if you were to focus on more 'selfish' issues:

Where are the protests over cost of living? Ridiculous rent hikes? Low wage growth? Resource companies paying f all tax?

The genius of the Right's puppet masters is in curating what to their minions get angry about.
100% true. Im more going with a direct correlation angle but this is spot on

If anyone is upset about this or even boasting and supporting it like Dan Andrews is, you are basically focusing on the wrong thing 100% of the time and ignoring things that truly matter

“We” - being the protesters - are a fringe minority of various far right types. The general public for the most part don’t care.
Dan Andrews cares more then the we though. He has devoted days upon days talking about it.

Its not a right thing. Its a right vs left thing and its nothing but a distraction from things that matter

100% true. Im more going with a direct correlation angle but this is spot on

If anyone is upset about this or even boasting and supporting it like Dan Andrews is, you are basically focusing on the wrong thing 100% of the time and ignoring things that truly matter

Politicians like Andrews weren’t “supporting” DQST until far right cookers starting issuing death threats, so Dan A and co have held events in solidarity for support.

Dan Andrews cares more then the we though. He has devoted days upon days talking about it.

Because of the threats. That’s why.

When DQST was running without the far right cooker threats no one saw the need to get involved. Now they need to.

Society/Culture Drag Queen Story Time Cancellations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back