Drug Use Rampant in AFL (especially at the Weagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, you havent been on many PLAYERS end of season trips have you?

I am unaware that any Eagles officials went on the trip. Further, the hospital will contact whoever is listed as contact in event of emergency - or the family but only if they are aware of who the patient is and only if they have access to that contact info.

You are overplaying this Eagles official trip/sanctioned trip and making it sound like the Board were there with them.

They are very very nervous are they? How the **** would you know that?

Sir Bushie indeed. ;)

We didn't get many overseas trips in bush footy, but the ones we took to the coast always had the club chairman as the bus driver.:D

But back to the point your honour.

Can you categorically deny that there were no club officials on this trip!!

My mail says that there were at least two non playing senior execs!

If that is the case then it makes sense that they are the initial contact point in the advent of an emergency.

And I don't think Chad had his Mums number in his wallet at the time.

The point is young man that the eagles officials should have higher standards that require them to investigate the matter. They should not just accept any crazy old explanation because finding out the truth might open a giant can of worms.

Its the club's repsonsibility to ensure that Fletcher's explanation was truthful or at least feasible. It is not for reasons already stated in this thread. If they are not interested in the truth then they are complicit in the problems at the club.

Thanks again Dad. Not sure what makes you think I am young (although you may well be older than God). I am on a few boards, I have a fair idea how to meet those sort of corporate obligations.

Fletcher has explained himself to the club and the club have accepted his explanation. Knowing Dalton Gooding (Chairman and former senior partner at EY) the club would have done whatever was necessary to investigate the veracity of the story. This does not mean that they couldnt have been misled but seriously what did you want a police inquiry into a report that he got sick while overseas on holiday?

The "problems" at the Eagles pale into insignificance relative to the on-field and financial issues at most clubs in Melbourne. We have a couple of blokes who party too hard just like most other clubs, just happens that the blokes at our club happen to be champions and so there is interest.

But thanks again for your concern Dad.

Thanks again Dad. Not sure what makes you think I am young (although you may well be older than God). I am on a few boards, I have a fair idea how to meet those sort of corporate obligations.

Fletcher has explained himself to the club and the club have accepted his explanation. Knowing Dalton Gooding (Chairman and former senior partner at EY) the club would have done whatever was necessary to investigate the veracity of the story. This does not mean that they couldnt have been misled but seriously what did you want a police inquiry into a report that he got sick while overseas on holiday?

The "problems" at the Eagles pale into insignificance relative to the on-field and financial issues at most clubs in Melbourne. We have a couple of blokes who party too hard just like most other clubs, just happens that the blokes at our club happen to be champions and so there is interest.

You are on a few boards, are you? Are they skateboard?

Dalton Gooding seems as interested as revealing the truth as an employee of the AWB. If he accepts the explanation that Fletcher gave then he is a fool or worse. Not too hard to uncover the truth in a case like this, hardly need a police enquiry.

And kitty might give away that I'm a girl and a pretty young one at that so unless you are toddler you can't be my son. So sorry.

We didn't get many overseas trips in bush footy, but the ones we took to the coast always had the club chairman as the bus driver.:D

But back to the point your honour.

Can you categorically deny that there were no club officials on this trip!!

My mail says that there were at least two non playing senior execs!

If that is the case then it makes sense that they are the initial contact point in the advent of an emergency.

And I don't think Chad had his Mums number in his wallet at the time.

I cannot state categorically who was on the trip. Half the players didnt go for a start.

Can you categorically state that Fletcher did not have an adverse reaction to a yellow fever injection?

The funny thing is of course that both these stories could be true. I mean Fletcher could have adversely reacted to something he "took" because of the afforementioned shot. This remains a possibility and while I agree it would rank with the "Bill Clinton semantics" defence, it would be technically true.

I guess since you feel confident that Rule has more tricks up his sleeve, we shall see..... Somehow I think the Eagles will survive.

Sorry mate, but if a Melbourne AFL player was hospitalized and nearly died of an OD - I would agree with you.

IF an Eagles player, say Fletcher, Cousins or Kerr - household names - were to OD and die of a cocaine overdose, would you still claim it's just a matter of partying too hard?

Sorry mate, but if a Melbourne AFL player was hospitalized and nearly died of an OD - I would agree with you.

IF an Eagles player, say Fletcher, Cousins or Kerr - household names - were to OD and die of a cocaine overdose, would you still claim it's just a matter of partying too hard?

Well, technically it would be the definitive case of partying too hard.

I would be unhappy about it, it would be a shame but as I see it they are big boys who are allowed to make their own decisions ... and do.

Of course, at present, their behaviour or alledged behaviour (actually both) are causing some irritation to my team which is unfortunate. However, on balance, the benefits they have brought to the club (IMO) outweigh the negatives. Although Fletcher would want to have a good 2007 or he might be "Gardinered" out of the club ....

;)

Can you categorically state that Fletcher did not have an adverse reaction to a yellow fever injection?

No but the Eagles could provide undeniable proof in a heartbeat if they wanted too.

Or if they could.:eek:

And that would be the end of the fat ladies song!

The funny thing is of course that both these stories could be true. I mean Fletcher could have adversely reacted to something he "took" because of the afforementioned shot. This remains a possibility and while I agree it would rank with the "Bill Clinton semantics" defence, it would be technically true.

Cigar anyone??

I guess since you feel confident that Rule has more tricks up his sleeve, we shall see..... Somehow I think the Eagles will survive.

Of course they will survive.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now your borrowing my material?????

FFS, isnt this copyright.

Your material? Think that saying has been around longer than either of us.

As for semantics? You clearly don't know what the word means.

With brain power like this in the west no wonder the State is in disarray. Have you dealt with Brian Burke on all these "boards" you serve on?;)

Your material? Think that saying has been around longer than either of us.

As for semantics? You clearly don't know what the word means.

With brain power like this in the west no wonder the State is in disarray. Have you dealt with Brian Burke on all these "boards" you serve on?;)

I dont live in WA. Currently in KL.

Brian Burke is an embarassment - perhaps we could give him some yellow fever shots and send him to Vegas.

Semantics - commonly used in discussing the study of meaning (in linguistics). Clintons defence was all based on his view of the meaning of the phrase "sexual relations". In that sense it was a defence based on semantics.

In this case, if the club claimed that Fletcher has an adverse reaction to a yellow fever injection when in fact he had an adverse reaction to a yellow fever shot brought on by some other factor or thing ;) while perhaps not entirely an issue of semantics it is correct but ummm slippery.

Better?

No but the Eagles could provide undeniable proof in a heartbeat if they wanted too.

Yes, perhaps they could.

Should they be required to under duress from a newspaper? What, if any, are the potential implications of caving in to said newspaper?

Can they compell their player to trot out his private medical records?

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Considering the current set of circumstances and the implications held within then....

Yes, perhaps they could.

Yes perhaps they should if there is nothing to hide.

Should they be required to under duress from a newspaper?

It would certainly clear things up in a very definitive matter.

Fat lady?

What, if any, are the potential implications of caving in to said newspaper?

Absolutely none.

If there is nothing to hide.
Can they compell their player to trot out his private medical records?

No!

But I am damn sure that if me and my club were being dragged through the mud for no reason, then I would be making them public quick smart.

You see, I value my integrity.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

As are mine.:)

Surely clubs will continue to push for full disclosure/ stat decs from players they seek to trade as to drug code violations.

If it's "rampant" then maybe we have lots of folks on strike #1? Who knows...

let me rephrase: they are only putting themselves at (very moderate) risk. they are adults, so who cares?

christ, playing AFL is alot more dangerous than exstacy.

A player is an asset to a club, so from a clubs perspective they are putting club assets at risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Drug Use Rampant in AFL (especially at the Weagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back