Drugs in sport - Where we've been, where we are at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just another of our "good blokes" letting his hair down and being a blokey-bloke with his blokes - or possibly (tin-foil hat time) maintaining the NFL edge?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/2f3c4036ab2c896e8a4bbea4ad4be0b9
smoking the dragon incorrect technique smoking with the tin foil hat. like a rollie, but instead of tally-ho, just al-foil from the safeways. i can give instruction. opium dens in shanghai peking and FILTH meds medusala

smoking the dragon incorrect technique smoking with the tin foil hat. like a rollie, but instead of tally-ho, just al-foil from the safeways. i can give instruction. opium dens in shanghai peking and FILTH meds medusala

Chasing not smoking old boy. Chasing.

NB kudos for use of Peking. Nothing more irritating that the bien pensant use of Chennai, Mumbai etc.

Mumbai duck? Chicken Chennai? I think not.

I think we can officially call the Olympics of the past decade a farce at this point.

We now have medallists moving into and out of medal positions faster than scantily clad thespians, in and out of bedroom doors in a local, amateur farce!

5th placed lifter now in line for gold, 8th for silver and 9th for bronze. As Ings queried the other day, hope the testing goes down below 9th place in all events!

http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...onze-after-moldovan-tests-positive-in-retests

Last edited:

@61_99 I think it was the 20 minute version of the John Oliver spiel. Prolly got taken down cos of copyright. I know they do not say that, it is just blank. Cos often copyright will just say that on youtube, so that is the flaw in my position mr youtube is not telling us he or she, mrs youtube, never say they removed it cos of copyright
Stumbled across it tonight - love the parody at the end. Interesting seeing it after the Olympics have finished ... and numerous announcements of further Beijing/ London positives.

So, the IOC now want governments to be more active and involved and do more .... I dunno ... I think that the problem was largely that the Russian government was too active, too involved and doing too much?

http://www.evolutionary.org/bach-wants-greater-clarity-on-doping-roles/

International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach has remarked he wants governments to do more to combat drugs in sport after the Russiandoping scandal that rocked the buildup to the Rio Olympics.

Bach, reinforcing his belief that the World Anti-Doping Agency should be fully overhauled, said governments should play a more active role so that a better and more transparent system of tackling cheats can be created. Bach told the Olympic Council of Asia General Assembly this has had to happen together with WADA because WADA, in the fight against doping, is the platform and added we also need the commitment of government and we together with governments want to make WADA more efficient.

The IOC and WADA have been at odds over their roles to deal with anti-doping cases after the World Anti-Doping Agency called for Russia to be banned from Rio following allegations of state-backed doping. The IOC decided to go against the suggestion of WADA and left the decision to individual sports and also remarked it believes a clearer system should be established, to take key decisions away from sports and national federations.

Bach also commented we think the whole anti-doping system should be independent from sports organizations with regard to testing and sanctioning. Bach added this is why we left sanctioning to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Rio, and this can serve as an example for all other sports organizations. The International Olympic Committee President added the system has to be more transparent and we have to be very clear who is responsible for what: testing, compliance, and sanctioning. Bach added we owe this to the athletes so they know what is happening, and we owe it to the public to be fully transparent.

The IOC has convened a summit in Switzerland next month to look at the issue before a global doping conference in 2017. Bach added you are all aware of the challenges we had with regard to the protection of clean athletes before the Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro. The IOC President remarked the IOC, on very short notice, had to take some preliminary decisions and actions in order to protect clean athletes. Bach added it in these discussions has become more obvious that we have to look at the WADA system and further said we decided that the IOC will ask for a full review of the WADA anti-doping system in order to make it more robust, more efficient, more transparent and more harmonious.

The IOC also denied claims that it is planning to form a new Integrity Unit to oversee anti-doping and match fixing issues. IOC Presidential spokesman Mark Adams said it is a "total fabrication" and added it has not been considered and will not be considered. Canada's IOC Athletes' Commission member Hayley Wickenheiser remarked there can only be one anti-doping agency worldwide - WADA - to maintain the faith and confidence of the athlete community. The four-time Olympic ice hockey gold medalist said the role of WADA should not continue to be undermined.

So, the IOC now want governments to be more active and involved and do more .... I dunno ... I think that the problem was largely that the Russian government was too active, too involved and doing too much?

http://www.evolutionary.org/bach-wants-greater-clarity-on-doping-roles/

International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach has remarked he wants governments to do more to combat drugs in sport after the Russiandoping scandal that rocked the buildup to the Rio Olympics.

Bach, reinforcing his belief that the World Anti-Doping Agency should be fully overhauled, said governments should play a more active role so that a better and more transparent system of tackling cheats can be created. Bach told the Olympic Council of Asia General Assembly this has had to happen together with WADA because WADA, in the fight against doping, is the platform and added we also need the commitment of government and we together with governments want to make WADA more efficient.

The IOC and WADA have been at odds over their roles to deal with anti-doping cases after the World Anti-Doping Agency called for Russia to be banned from Rio following allegations of state-backed doping. The IOC decided to go against the suggestion of WADA and left the decision to individual sports and also remarked it believes a clearer system should be established, to take key decisions away from sports and national federations.

Bach also commented we think the whole anti-doping system should be independent from sports organizations with regard to testing and sanctioning. Bach added this is why we left sanctioning to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Rio, and this can serve as an example for all other sports organizations. The International Olympic Committee President added the system has to be more transparent and we have to be very clear who is responsible for what: testing, compliance, and sanctioning. Bach added we owe this to the athletes so they know what is happening, and we owe it to the public to be fully transparent.

The IOC has convened a summit in Switzerland next month to look at the issue before a global doping conference in 2017. Bach added you are all aware of the challenges we had with regard to the protection of clean athletes before the Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro. The IOC President remarked the IOC, on very short notice, had to take some preliminary decisions and actions in order to protect clean athletes. Bach added it in these discussions has become more obvious that we have to look at the WADA system and further said we decided that the IOC will ask for a full review of the WADA anti-doping system in order to make it more robust, more efficient, more transparent and more harmonious.

The IOC also denied claims that it is planning to form a new Integrity Unit to oversee anti-doping and match fixing issues. IOC Presidential spokesman Mark Adams said it is a "total fabrication" and added it has not been considered and will not be considered. Canada's IOC Athletes' Commission member Hayley Wickenheiser remarked there can only be one anti-doping agency worldwide - WADA - to maintain the faith and confidence of the athlete community. The four-time Olympic ice hockey gold medalist said the role of WADA should not continue to be undermined.

Agree, sounds like all he wants to do is pass the buck from sporting bodies onto governments but Russia is the perfect example this does not work.

IMO need to overhaul WADA and to a lesser extent CAS to ensure their funding is independent of sporting bodies (like the IOC) and give WADA (and NADOs) the power to send athletes direct to CAS* rather than via the sporting bodies which currently happen.

* Note - Or a national equivalent but with what happened in Russia i'm changing my mind about having an Australian version of CAS - while I think an Australian version would work not sure about other countries...so happy for two separate and clear divisions of CAS - general and appeal.

This looks like an interesting development - will it close the current time lag in identifying and developing tests for some substances; and how many/ % of substances in use could it cover?

Maybe the cat will know, so I'll leave it here like a dead-rodent offering ...

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/n...stellas-announce-global-initiative-to-prevent

World Anti-Doping Agency and Astellas Announce Global Initiative to Prevent Misuse and Abuse of Medicines for Doping in Sports

MONTREAL and TOKYO, October 14, 2016 – The World Anti-Doping Agency (President: Sir Craig Reedie, “WADA”) and Astellas Pharma Inc. (TSE: 4503: President and CEO: Yoshihiko Hatanaka, “Astellas”) today announced a global agreement to partner on the prevention of misuse and abuse of medicines for doping in sports. Doping in sports relies primarily on the misuse and abuse of commercially available medicines, as well as compounds in development that are not as well-known or easily detected.

To support WADA in its efforts to address this issue, Astellas will identify compounds solely developed by Astellas or its affiliates with the potential for sport-related doping abuse and will cooperate in sharing relevant information to aid WADA in the organization’s development of detection methods for these compounds. Additionally, Astellas will cooperate with WADA to minimize the risk of misuse of compounds with doping potential during clinical trials to avoid opportunities for abuse.

“WADA is encouraged to be partnering with Astellas on the prevention of misuse and abuse of medicines for doping in sports,” said Sir Craig Reedie, President, WADA. “It’s a win-win arrangement. Essentially, Astellas will inform WADA during compound development if there is potential for future abuse in sport; and, the Agency commits to inform Astellas should it uncover evidence of black market supply involving their compounds. This partnership acknowledges that the impacts of doping extend well beyond elite athletes to include society on the whole.”

“Astellas is committed to ensuring the safe and effective use of its therapies in appropriate settings, and we are proud to be the first Japan-based company to partner with WADA in its efforts to prevent the inappropriate use of medical products through doping,” said Kenji Yasukawa, Ph.D., Chief Strategy Officer, Astellas. “Enhancing performance in sports through doping is considered a serious public health issue by the sport movement and public authorities worldwide. It is critical that pharmaceutical companies play a role in helping to address this important public health concern.”

Astellas’ activities are aligned with recent guidance published by WADA and the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations (IFPMA) to help pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies increase their role in the fight against sport-related doping. The guidance, titled Points to Consider: Identification of Compounds with Potential for Doping Abuse and Sharing of Information with WADA, includes best practices on establishing a voluntary process for determining the potential doping risk of compounds in their development pipelines before they are commercially available.

The Points to Consider guidance is an extension of the Joint Declaration on Cooperation in the Fight Against Doping that was signed by IFPMA and WADA in July 2010, and endorsed by the global Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) in June 2011, to combat the latest doping techniques.

To learn more about Astellas’ commitment to its anti-doping efforts, please read the company’s newly published Position Statement, available at https://www.astellas.com/en/corporate/comp_policy/anti_doping.html.

Not sure if it's been posted before, but this is a pretty detailed article on world records and their coincidence with the introduction of certain drugs and anti-doping protocols

Not sure if it's been posted before, but this is a pretty detailed article on world records and their coincidence with the introduction of certain drugs and anti-doping protocols

No link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a very good article by a Ross Tucker and is an amalgamation of several good ones he has written since 2008. I have posted the first graphic and last three graphics several times on big footy on various boards on big footy including this one. I saw the article on my phone during the Olympics but never got past the first graphic. The fourth to last one is very instructive and shows how the old Eastern bloc athletes and some Yanks really doped up their women to elevate their testosterone levels to be closer to men's and how the drugs since have been more subtle and those records have stood for so long or are still top 10 or 20 best times/distances/heights 26 to 35 years later. The are about 7 or 8 events which women didn't compete in at the Olympics or world champs before 1990 eg Pole Vault, Triple Jump, Hammer Throw, Steeplechase and the longer distances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we think Sun Yang is suspicious because of heart issues at 18 then we must also question Kyle Chalmers and his recent heart concerns.

Chalmers pulls out of Short Course Final

OLYMPIC champion Kyle Chalmers’ hopes of his first national title were dashed on Thursday night when he was scratched from the 100m short course freestyle final after suffering an ill-timed attack of a lifelong heart condition.

The Rio 100m freestyle Gold medallist hopes of selection in the Australian team for the World short course championships in Canada next month now rest on a special exemption being granted.

Chalmers suffers from Supraventricular Tachycardia, a condition that can cause his heart beat to spike dramatically without warning.

He has previously revealed his heart rate can rocket to 200 beats per minute without warning, leaving him feeling dizzy.

The 18-year-old suffered an attack about twenty minutes before his final in the 100m at Chandler and despite protesting his ability to trace, was ruled out by Swimming Australia medicos and head coach Jacco Verhaeren.

Lets hope he applies for a TUE ;)

Blackcat - Sniper is one mighty obsessed poster - Has a track record of twisting words to suit an agenda - Strangest thing is most of us understand athletes dope- But it all seems to be a surprise to Sniper - Does Sniper enjoy cycling ?

Last edited:
The Meldonium operation was a good one by WADA. We deride them for their incompetency as an anti-doping governing body, but in their actual role as a geopolitical tool used to cover up doping among Western athletes and attack its adversaries, they have performed admirably recently.

They quietly added an ineffective drug primarily used in the former Soviet Union that stays in the system for ages to the banned list, did it after the Russian doping agency had already been suspended so as to ensure the majority of athletes were oblivious to its inclusion anyway and then used the set up to claim evidence of systematic doping.

I posted in the Essendon ASADA thread in Feb/March that Meldonium would become a disaster for WADA - Yes you have a valid argument but at what cost to WADA - Meldonium is a debacle of the highest order.

dean capabianco's coach too
he posted on the FigBooty a while back, just googles the Matt Barber site:figbooty.com/forum

Capobianco also a room-mate of Dave Culbert on overseas trips - The same Dave Culbert who is shrill in his condemnation of doping in sport, and of the part played by Olympic Federations/National federations etc in not doing enough to stop doping - The same Dave Culbert whose company Jump Media has and is currently organising events for the UCI and the IAAF - The same two sporting federations who are at the cutting edge of doping - Culbert's hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Agree, sounds like all he wants to do is pass the buck from sporting bodies onto governments but Russia is the perfect example this does not work.

IMO need to overhaul WADA and to a lesser extent CAS to ensure their funding is independent of sporting bodies (like the IOC) and give WADA (and NADOs) the power to send athletes direct to CAS* rather than via the sporting bodies which currently happen.

* Note - Or a national equivalent but with what happened in Russia i'm changing my mind about having an Australian version of CAS - while I think an Australian version would work not sure about other countries...so happy for two separate and clear divisions of CAS - general and appeal.

The better scenario is for each country ( if possible ) or even a regional body, to have an independent Anti-Doping Tribunal to cover all sports, which I believe happens in New Zealand, and is starting to take place in Asia - It's important that any independent Tribunal is completely separate and completely independent from CAS - Interested that you mention CAS gets its funding from Olympic bodies - It's essential that CAS gets its funding from alternative bodies, especially seeing Non-Olympic sports are not represented in any of these bodies whether it's NADO's, WADA, IOC, CAS etc - Surely if you encourage Non Olympic Professional and amateur sports to join the WADA Code, then you should ensure they have representation on your bodies.

Capobianco also a room-mate of Dave Culbert on overseas trips - The same Dave Culbert who is shrill in his condemnation of doping in sport, and of the part played by Olympic Federations/National federations etc in not doing enough to stop doping - The same Dave Culbert whose company Jump Media has and is currently organising events for the UCI and the IAAF - The same two sporting federations who are at the cutting edge of doping - Culbert's hypocrisy knows no bounds.
he ferkin jumped on essendon and jobe didnt he. me think the lady doth protests too hard. I was somewhere, musta been a sporting event, or something like a cycling promotion evening, prolly st kilda. culby was there. gees he has massive calves. like, body builder size calves. I was also around elwood, and saw some guy with buttocks like a greyhound dog, muscular muscled buttox. have you seen betsy andreu, betsy i asked her, have you seen tyson gay's buttocks, and she looked at the jpeg i was swapping with her, and she said, buttocks impants, like kim kardashian. i said, nup, just a 100 200 sprinter world champ.

well, i saw this guy who had, mebbe not tyson gay qua gay bubble but as they like to call it in the milieu. I stroked my memory when I looked at the guy, no hair, bald. then google imaged him, it was rohan robinson the ex fiance of jana pitman and 400 hurdles national champ thru all the 90s. think a world jnrs champ

culbert and his type, they dont care about doping. they care about being in the public eye and being seen to dope. salient qualifier, "seen".

as you say, manifest hypocrisy.

and... conspiracy non conspiracy, GreenEDGE went on to win the Team Timetrial that TdF. Ogrady drove that. They DO NOT WIN that TTT if Stuey mate does not think he is gonna get outted and retire in disgrace. He NEEDED that for his legacy. So they win.

So it sort of worked out in our favour :D
yaco55 re: the TTT the tour de france team timetrial that they won. this was not a conspiracy.

my thesis is.
i know the team timetrial basically depends on solid team driving together, smooth lubricant teamwork. lubricant not an idiom for something else, I mean, clockwork, french cuckoo clock of pjKEating. humming perfectly.

it requires solid leadership. Greenedge are freekin masters, Matt White the team DS and manager is a master in the team car, when he is not merely in the team hotel with strategy, Matt White in team car, then Ogrady knows he is going out, going out in scandal, then the team is packed with teampursuit olympians like Bewley and the Australian teams pursuiters. They were always gonna boss it. The only thing that they like, is an individual timetrialist of world champs stature, or rohan dennis. they need someone like martin, wiggins, or cancellara to win the World Champ Team timetrial from the trade teams, cos all the World champs winners, usually have that guy driving the last 5kms in the TTT, and the pro trade team TTT is usually decideded in fraction of sections. some years the Quickstep team won, Martin may not have been yet on QS, and Cancellara may not have been on BMC. but my point stands. They require a little more class than just Tuft and Durbridge hammering the last few ks

Some nice motherhood statements and bromides here, but the thing is this: drugs follow money; then money follows drugs. Prohibition never works - it merely drives the problem underground. Trying to control pro sports PEDs is futile. Better to let athletes juice themselves up, à la carte, and wait for the market reaction - i.e. the paying public and sponsors.

There are 2 possible outcomes -

A. No restrictions: drugged-out competitors thrilling the bread and circuses crowd eager for cartoonish hyper-feats of sporting prowess will be a huge market winner (and a marker for future historians tracking the steps to final cultural degeneracy); or
B. After a period of the former, with many of the athletes/players/farm animals having died at an early age (reminiscent of hamsters on acid), and with parents prohibiting junior from participating, and with sponsors losing sales, a more Corinthian form of sport will re-emerge, with A possibly lingering on as an outlier for the truly desperate last chance saloon grifters, similar to WWW.

If I were a betting man I would go for A.

Some nice motherhood statements and bromides here, but the thing is this: drugs follow money; then money follows drugs. Prohibition never works - it merely drives the problem underground. Trying to control pro sports PEDs is futile. Better to let athletes juice themselves up, à la carte, and wait for the market reaction - i.e. the paying public and sponsors.

There are 2 possible outcomes -

A. No restrictions: drugged-out competitors thrilling the bread and circuses crowd eager for cartoonish hyper-feats of sporting prowess will be a huge market winner (and a marker for future historians tracking the steps to final cultural degeneracy); or
B. After a period of the former, with many of the athletes/players/farm animals having died at an early age (reminiscent of hamsters on acid), and with parents prohibiting junior from participating, and with sponsors losing sales, a more Corinthian form of sport will re-emerge, with A possibly lingering on as an outlier for the truly desperate last chance saloon grifters, similar to WWW.

If I were a betting man I would go for A.

basically a gr8 post, but I can improve and add some devils advocates

A. basically, that is the default status. The tests are IQ testing, you need to be an idjit to fail it. For everything illegal under WADA, there are things that will not be tested for, or show you as positive, because they dont glow under the MSGC masssepctometergaschromatography assay (ok, technically it is not an assay, or so I was told)

so you can get the equivalent strength pharmaceutical(s) gain, and you can get the O2 vector transfer ^ing red cells that carry your O2, and you can get your recovery drugs that wont have you popped.

*** people were not dying of drugs in sport as in PEDs, the EPO thing was a massive SCARE campaign that was successful scaring the succour moms, the class you defined in your bromides and motherhood statements point. I was also using the term succour moms as a metaphor. cos the uniquely N American phrase of Winnebago and soccer mom, is... north american. and succour is still spelled succour there, but mum is spellled thus mom. so it becomes succour mom, but this only works when I am making light of this anti-doping puritanism outside north america.

The belgian cycling populace have the best position. they dont care about the doping. but you are still not allowed to test positive and spit in the soup or take a crap in ur own backyard.

the money thing, this aint prohibition and smuggling mooshine across the illinois or michigan border from otowa and al capone bringing moonshine in

sport transcends the money and extrinsic motivators... it is existential, the biggest determinant is winning and the #WIN and carving out a hierarchy and exclusivity

David Walsh (sports writer who got sued because he claimed Lance Armstrong was a cheat) is on ABC radio now.

Edit: He's in Melbourne and Sydney for the Sports Writer's Festival over the next 2 days.

http://www.sportswritersfestival.com.au/index.php/speakers/speaker/5-david-walsh
I had an email from him around 2010 when Wiggins was riding high in GC in the Giro and said Wiggins was BS and he said he agree'ed. I got his email off Betsy Andreu.

So Walsh is just another liar and gatekeeper and out for himself. He knows Froome is full of it, he could talk(write) in code without saying Chris Froome is charging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Drugs in sport - Where we've been, where we are at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back