DT 2011 Forwards Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

any thoughts on Yarran?

he had a pretty damn good game today against the Crows from what I could gather on the radio, and seemed to be getting a lot of touches. this was as close to full strength as Carlton will play in pre-season. nobody was missing. he could be a nice unique to have and use as an upgrade target to a Didak or Goodes.

I'm having a lot of trouble settling on my 5th/6th forward - Krakouer is the obvious 6th - and seem to be toing and froing on heaps of players. like Gary Rohan for instance. gah.

any thoughts on Yarran?

he had a pretty damn good game today against the Crows from what I could gather on the radio, and seemed to be getting a lot of touches. this was as close to full strength as Carlton will play in pre-season. nobody was missing. he could be a nice unique to have and use as an upgrade target to a Didak or Goodes.

I'm having a lot of trouble settling on my 5th/6th forward - Krakouer is the obvious 6th - and seem to be toing and froing on heaps of players. like Gary Rohan for instance. gah.

Check Yarran's score on Freako, not sure where it will come out. Apparently he had 30+ touches and was clearly BOG but not many marks and a lot of handball receives. If he has had 30+ touches and not scored 120ish it would be a worry for a "normal" game.

Also factor in that the Crows love to zone off defenders so the time and space could be different against a fwd press.

Certainly on the radar though, with Gibbs to the guts plus Garlett / Betts up fwd it looks like the role is his. He's an excellent decision maker, great in traffic and good disposal.

Yarran has really come onto my radar in the last couple of weeks. As 54Dogs says, we need to see what he's scoring is like. He is though ticking a lot of boxes at the moment and if he continues to get a lot of the pill, would make an excellent mid $ FWD.

Could see Yarran scoring a lot like Gilbee. Could earn you some cash but whether or not he becomes a keeper is debatable. Could be a decent 7th forward BUT if he continues playing the way he is throughout the season I could see he and Judd copping the tags. Could be a good thing for Murphy and Gibbs.

Thinking of getting rid of Chappy. I heard he's had some injury troubles. Not sure whether I should replace him with another expensive premium, or downgrade to someone more affordable to upgrade somewhere else.

My forward line is Chappy, Riewoldt, Pavlich, Higgins, Zaharakis, Krakouer, Prestia (Matera, Richardson, I. Smith)

With Chappy gone I have $482,000. The next best choice looks to be Buddy, but I'm not that sure about his consistency and his number of frees against. Then there's Didak, but I hear he's had a troubled pre-season. The next best choice might be Brad Green. I haven't heard anything about him so I assume he's had a good pre-season? Then there's some slightly cheaper options like Goodes, Gia, Gilbert, J. Brown, ROK and Rioli who would would free up a fair bit of extra cash which I could use elsewhere. But if I do that I'm worried that my forward line will look too bare-boned. Any suggestions?

Yarran scored less than 100. A better sc prospect IMO

He didn't have the 30+ possessions that were mooted, he had 24 and scored 90 odd.

He's priced around 60 and I'll be suprised if he doesn't average 75. That's not good enough as a 6th forward in the initial team for you ?

He didn't have the 30+ possessions that were mooted, he had 24 and scored 90 odd.

He's priced around 60 and I'll be suprised if he doesn't average 75. That's not good enough as a 6th forward in the initial team for you ?

This notion that anyone above rookie price has to be a keeper is not good. One of the biggest advantages that someone like Yarran has is that he has late byes. He's priced at 60, with a bit of luck you might be able to upgrade him to someone who has just about completed both byes. Even if Yarran only averages 75 on the year, that's largely irrelevant, it's what he does say between rounds 5-8 that really matters. If Yarran puts together 3 weeks of say 85+ scores then his price will obviously rise very sharply, so by round 8-10 he should be at a juicy price such that you might be able to straight up swap him to someone like Didak who, with a bit of luck, might have fallen in price considerably given his lack of preseason.

So yeh, it's not just about what a player averages on the year. There are other factors that come into consideration, particularly this year.

they negate each other as Cox will score more than Jolly and I would bet on Petrie scoring more than Astbury.

Who is considering Jarrad Grant? Only second year so at a very risky price, but gets marks and tackles, so doesn't always need to kick goals to score well.

He is in my side at the moment, but I could trade to Higgins, but I don't like the fact he always misses games.

Either Zaharakis or Duncan. Both should be good midpricers who has a chance of turning into a keeper or at least a decent enough 7th fwd..

But I cant decide which, as both will be given midfield time.
Duncan has the advantage of having a better team around him to boost his scores, but in saying that his JS is much lower than Zaha who is a definite lock in our best 18 every week..

Personally, gone with Zaha atm (prob biased) but the extra $$ Duncan brings in and his impressive NAB cup score (indicating a higher ceiling as opposed to Zaha who hasnt really posted a massive score yet) is tempting me.

And we havent had a look at Fyfe yet.. watch him rip it up this weekend and giving us a bigger headache!

Just looking on Zaha and your comments about him playing bursts through the mid. Based on http://www.fantasyfootyclub.com/stats/player.php?id=232&display=possessions he actually spent more time through the midfield than he did in the forward line last year. At least he got more touches there than in the forward line.

Fyfe actually spent fair bit more time in the Mids last year than Zaha 72% compared to Zaha's 65%.
Fyfe: http://www.fantasyfootyclub.com/stats/player.php?id=245&display=possessions

That could change a fair bit in 2011 though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is considering Jarrad Grant? Only second year so at a very risky price, but gets marks and tackles, so doesn't always need to kick goals to score well.

He is in my side at the moment, but I could trade to Higgins, but I don't like the fact he always misses games.

Thought about him but can't just bring myself to pick him ahead of others. Far worse picks out there.

Not sure if this has been asked before but how would you rate the power forwards from 1 to 5 for DT scoring in 2011? Mine would be:

1 L Franklin
2 N Riewoldt
3 M Pavlich
4 A Goodes
5 J Brown

Is anyone considering Didak? Heard he will play this wknd. I know he won't be what you'd call match hardened come round 1, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me to see him step in and do well pretty quickly, it's the type of player he is.

I am strongly considering taking him from the start, but will obviously wait and see how he goes this wknd (if he plays). The fwds are probably hardest line to pick this year with so many injury concerns and multiple byes among gun players.

I personally dont see whats wrong with Didak. He gets a bit of a bad wrap just because he has a pectorial injury which at the end of the day didnt really hamper him from much preseason actual fitness based exercises.

Didak is 28, a nullified preseason wont impact him to much. Even though he still wuldve been running and cycling heaps and the pies started very late anyway. He basically missed very little.

Hes always been very good with a footy in his hands so not being able to handle the ball wont impact him to much. Hes a freak basically.

He also avg 99 when playing permantly as a forward, this year he will be required quite a lot in the midfield with the reduced bench. So he will spend even more time in the guts/wings. Also the addition of Krakouer means he can push further up the ground. Dick has also had a good preseason although i havnt seen him playing many games, did he get injured??

is anyone picking pavlich/ what are peoples thoughts on him. durable and somewhat consistent player. could be a unique pick if going for a league win with freo having both multi byes. thoughts??

Was at the game last night and Krak looked very good. Most of what he did was composed and classy. Saw some midfield time as well. Definitely part of the Pies' best 21.

Leon's also worth a comment. Appears very settled as a back. Took a lot of the kick-ins and played on from those quite a bit (Pies have got the shepherding the kicker routine down to a fine art). Given his price, he could be a good option as a FWD.

Rioli or Pavlich?

Pav will be more consistent but Rioli is set to go up another level after his stunning preseason. Thoughts?

is anyone picking pavlich/ what are peoples thoughts on him. durable and somewhat consistent player. could be a unique pick if going for a league win with freo having both multi byes. thoughts??

Thought about him, briefly. The (early) problem is he has a bye with Hawthorn and Geelong, so if you're trying to plan for these bye's you basically have to choose one (or two if you're brave) of Pav, Franklin, Chappy or SJ. I've gone with Franklin. Had Pav every year so far, but he was a bit disappointing in patches last year. I'll see how he's going after the round 6 bye and consider bringing him in then.

Remove this Banner Ad

DT 2011 Forwards Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back