DT Forwards 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

is stevie j worth the price tag?

I haven't really seen anything this pre-season to jump out at me and say "pick me!"

But at the same time I've seen nothing to suggest he can't do what he did last year...I had him last year and it was a great ride, I won't start with him this year as i do expect him to drop, but I'd be very wary of sides with him as he is more than capable of 150+ scores!

He's definitely better than anybody on that list not named Boak and Hartlett, and he's arguably better than everyone on that list. Plus Pearce is a half-back now.

Does the second half of last year count as 'the past'? Because he was a midfielder for the majority of that.

Like he was last yea ... wait, no, he got through a full pre-season, played 22 games and has since completed another full pre-season and played 4 out of 5 NAB cup games.

Sounds like somebody got burnt by Robbie in the past and is letting his feelings get in the way of logic. I'm not saying definitely pick Robbie, but when determining whether or not to pick him you should definitely ignore banana bus's inaccurate post.

I'd pick Gray before Lewis. Both should average 90-95 but Gray is much cheaper due to starting last year off in the forward line.

Disclaimer: I don't watch Hawthorn enough to know whether Lewis had a similar role change at some point last year, and if he has then I retract this post.

Really good summary. Ive currently got Gray in my team despite being previously burnt & declaring him a never again. Maybe, just maybe, this year could be his real 3rd year breakout after having injuries etc and finally getting a good year last year.
Rd 13 onwards last year was awesome, averaging 100ppg & not dropping below 84 in the midfield. At that price, with a full preseason, you'll take that output & the possibility of more.
Will Ebert hurt him at all?

Thoughts on Allen Chrisso? Have had him all preseason... but now it is here I am starting to question it?

I had him early, but then dropped him for Cloke, then Fyfe. His pre-season form has been virtually non-existent, only having played one or two games, IIRC. I thing it was a minor niggle, but that's enough for me to not select him as a speculative mid-pricer.

I'm currently tossing up between Pfeiffer and Couch. Couch is still on the rookie list, yeah? I've heard Pfeiffer isn't in Port's 22, but being upgraded and at mature-age rookie price is very tempting.

I had him early, but then dropped him for Cloke, then Fyfe. His pre-season form has been virtually non-existent, only having played one or two games, IIRC. I thing it was a minor niggle, but that's enough for me to not select him as a speculative mid-pricer.

I'm currently tossing up between Pfeiffer and Couch. Couch is still on the rookie list, yeah? I've heard Pfeiffer isn't in Port's 22, but being upgraded and at mature-age rookie price is very tempting.

Considering Couch didn't get elevated and Pfeiffer did, i would go with Pfeiffer, he is pretty much a shoe in to play round 1.

gocowsmoo said:
Will Ebert hurt him at all?

The additions of Ebert and McCarthy are the only reason why Gray isn't an absolute lock in my side. If I knew he'd be a full-time midfielder he'd be in, but with those two added to the side and Mitch Banner (who played small forward in the second half of last year when Gray was playing midfield) seemingly on the outer, I'm not so sure. I still think he'll score better than last year, but with the possibility of being a 50-50 midfielder/forward as opposed to probably 75-25 in the second half of last year, he might not reach the 90+ average I want my premiums to be scoring.

CrozaN said:
he is pretty much a shoe in to play round 1.

FFS :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but Gray's flexibility counts against him here. Gray is a quality midfielder and a quality forward whereas Ebert and McCarthy are only average forwards, so if all three are on the field at the same time then Gray will probably spend a fair bit of time in the forward line.

Didnt Ebert play a defensive HFF role for eagles last year? eagles also finished 4th didnt they?

Not quite the same situation. Ebert is originally a midfielder who was pushed to the forward flank because he couldn't crack the Eagles midfield but they didn't want to leave him out completely. Gray is originally a forward who was pushed to the midfield because gun forward flankers usually do get pushed to the midfield.

I think Gray is a better midfielder and forward than Ebert (and McCarthy), but the gap between them is a lot bigger in the forward line than it is in the midfield.

Not quite the same situation. Ebert is originally a midfielder who was pushed to the forward flank because he couldn't crack the Eagles midfield but they didn't want to leave him out completely. Gray is originally a forward who was pushed to the midfield because gun forward flankers usually do get pushed to the midfield.

I think Gray is a better midfielder and forward than Ebert (and McCarthy), but the gap between them is a lot bigger in the forward line than it is in the midfield.

Now I'm worried about Gray. I also am currently punting on Ebert in mids as well.
Port stressing me out.

In the modern game you need not only the 5 starting mids + 1 ruck but you need 2-3 players who can rotate into the guts that start forward plus the 3 bench starters. Ebert is one of those players. Port already have Boak and Cassisi as starting onballers. The other one im not sure who that will be, maybe a tagger?

Ebert and Gray will be heavily involved in midfield rotations but may well start as half forwards.

Dickson vs Hall vs Saad, pick one to start.

Hmm, i'd wait until teams are named to make sure they're all actually playing.

Then probably choose the guy who is named on the ground to minimize vest chance.

Might Saad because Saints play port so might have the ball up forward are bit more??

Remove this Banner Ad

DT Forwards 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back