Rumour Dunstall to likely be named Legend in hall of fame

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, especially as the OP said early on that he never saw dunstall play as well, so the fact that dunstall is alive seems to a key plank in his push for him being a legend?
i've seen plenty of videos of Dunstall and he was a very good and extremely underrated player,

i've seen plenty of videos of Dunstall and he was a very good and extremely underrated player,
I don’t think Dunstall is underrated by many at all . I watched both of his and pluggers career in full (with family members being hawks fans I had to go to a lot of their games as well as the saints) and he was and is always recognized as one of the greatest full forwards, however he also played at the same time as two other great full forwards. The goal record obviously draws some attention to Lockett straight away, but I don’t think Dunstall is forgotten.

Dunstall probably will become a legend at some point, when there is enough in the hall of fame to meet the criteria of elevating others to that status. I wasn’t alive to see Oates or McIntosh play or coach either, however I trust that the selection panel was across their achievements pretty well.

I don’t think Dunstall is underrated by many at all . I watched both of his and pluggers career in full (with family members being hawks fans I had to go to a lot of their games as well as the saints) and he was and is always recognized as one of the greatest full forwards, however he also played at the same time as two other great full forwards. The goal record obviously draws some attention to Lockett straight away, but I don’t think Dunstall is forgotten.

Dunstall probably will become a legend at some point, when there is enough in the hall of fame to meet the criteria of elevating others to that status. I wasn’t alive to see Oates or McIntosh play or coach either, however I trust that the selection panel was across their achievements pretty well.
what im saying is like it was Brereton, Dipper, all those other guys who were like the Hawthorn guys then there was Dunstall who was a good player but Brereton was like the main Hawthorn guy,

Just simply two opposing personalities that had little in common off the field. Believe it or not, Dunstall was usually the boisterous drunk/trouble-maker, not Brereton..!
Dunstall sounds like the kind of player I'd most enjoy being around, from that me and him are quite similar (likes to enjoy himself then play well on gameday), Full forward myself so must just be a thing, He should be even more of a legend now

what im saying is like it was Brereton, Dipper, all those other guys who were like the Hawthorn guys then there was Dunstall who was a good player but Brereton was like the main Hawthorn guy,
You should probably do some more Hawthorn history or speak to those that watched them live, as it's obvious you weren't around when they all played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was looking at the AFL website and it said this Oatey bloke had a lot of rules for the players, Dunstall would not be in Oateys category for footballer
1- not the most well shaven through career eg mullet
2- didn’t attend the function if it was not compulsory (avoid brereton)
3- have a bit more than 1 small beer on occasion eg 2 slabs on plane going to Miami for exhibition match, see good for football video for more of that
4- conduct himself eg steal coach’s car then crash it and don’t shoot the fat one
Still piggy should be in hall of fame legend

I can tell you are fairly young by referring to a genuine great of Australian rules football as "this Oatey bloke".

For modern day parlance it would like asking "who's Nat Fyfe?".

I realise there's little incentive for Champion Data to retcon games from the 80s and 90s but if they did:

- Who would have the most "targets" out of the era's leading full-forwards? Dunstall, Lockett, Modra, Ablett etc.
- How would those targets stack up against the total inside-50s
- Which players would have the best record in marking contests, one-on-ones, one-on-twos etc.

I feel like some modern stats could significantly change how we view the history

I can tell you are fairly young by referring to a genuine great of Australian rules football as "this Oatey bloke".

For modern day parlance it would like asking "who's Nat Fyfe?".

Don't expect much more than glazed eyes in response throwing words like 'parlance' around...

And Burke is a fair bit younger than Dunstall and is still involved in the game yet PiggyFever over here has no idea who he is :drunk:

I like the Chief …. Not underrated at all I think ….fantastic kick for goal … should be a legend

Games all time leading goal kicker is Ken Farmer
It’s ridiculous that he’s not recognised as legend. Kicked the ton in 11 consecutive seasons. Also kicked 81 goals in 17 games for SA. He missed out on footy due the 2nd World War. He even has a trophy named after him for being SANFL leading goal kicker for 11 seasons. This was between 1929-1941.

it’s time we honour the legends that are no longer alive compared someone being out of the game for 20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back