Unrestricted Free Agent Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but is he considered a DFA because he retired at the end of his contract? Or is he a UFA based on time served at Richmond?

If the former, what stops any out of contract player simply retiring and getting picked up by their preferred team as a DFA?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but is he considered a DFA because he retired at the end of his contract? Or is he a UFA based on time served at Richmond?

If the former, what stops any out of contract player simply retiring and getting picked up by their preferred team as a DFA?
DFA and UFA both allow the same flexibility of movement, no?

I get it if you’re referring to RFA’s retiring, though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he submitted his formal retirement form?

The apology needs to be as loud as the hate

View attachment 2109310
Food Pancakes GIF

Credit to the supporters who don't care, as it is a spit in the face to them. Why not just announce you're departing Richmond at the end of the season?

They won't get compensation for him but they can and should hold it against Dimma and the Suns for Rioli. He has taken that club for a ride since the end of the 2022 season

DFA and UFA both allow the same flexibility of movement, no?

I get it if you’re referring to RFA’s retiring, though
So he's a DFA because he's a UFA?

Might be exposing my ignorance again but don't UFA's who leave their club attract compensation? And doesn't this move circumnavigate that?

Surprised people were insisting he wasn't going to The Gold Coast, seemed all part of the grand plan to retire and comeback through the preseason draft or something.

You’re right, but I doubt Dusty would get the Tigers anything of value at his age
Would still have to be the principle though. If the AFL ticked off Dusty doing it then they can't really stop anyone else in future, which would essentially nullify the principle of UFAs. I think there has to be something more to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back