Speculation Jack Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

While I'm always happy to have more quality players, the Lions already have a logjam in the forward line. Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron, Lohmann, Rayner, Bailey, Morris and Ah Chee is a very strong group, and there's still Linc McCarthy to come back in. A fit Martin would be a better player than Morris at this point in time, but Morris has shown a lot in his first season and I doubt the club would want to set back his development. I think Brisbane would pass unless Martin is happy with playing VFL and isn't asking for much money. Freo is a far better place for him as they actually need small/medium forwards.

Martin shouldn't have burned his bridges at the Suns if his partner loves Queensland that much. Several players have gone back to their first club after asking for a trade away, but going to the PSD would have left a lot of bad blood and I can't see the Suns wanting him back.
Qld link seems like a manager play to get Freo to sign him asap. He'll probably have to wait till after trade period now and wait on list spots

While I'm always happy to have more quality players, the Lions already have a logjam in the forward line.
According to the Herald Sun, GC and Brisbane have inquired about him but the move to Queensland has mainly come from his own desire. It'll be unlikely for either team to find a list spot for him, which means Freo is the likely outcome.
Jack Martin requested Carlton to delist him this week to keep his options wide open amid strong interest from Fremantle and inquiries from both Queensland-based clubs.
Martin started as a brilliant mid-forward on the Gold Coast and while he expressed some desire to return to Queensland it will be harder for the Suns or Brisbane to find a spot for him.
Fremantle shapes as a natural home for a player born in Broome, who moved to Geraldton at 12 years of age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the Herald Sun, GC and Brisbane have inquired about him but the move to Queensland has mainly come from his own desire. It'll be unlikely for either team to find a list spot for him, which means Freo is the likely outcome.
Fairly sure his wife is a Gold Coast girl (certainly a Queenslander) who would like to be closer to her parents as they raise their daughter and any other future kids. That seems to be the main motivation for Martin to return to Queensland and both clubs are at least hearing him out. I would've thought either Queensland team could find a rookie spot for him if he's really that desperate to return to QLD.

Fairly sure his wife is a Gold Coast girl (certainly a Queenslander) who would like to be closer to her parents as they raise their daughter and any other future kids. That seems to be the main motivation for Martin to return to Queensland and both clubs are at least hearing him out. I would've thought either Queensland team could find a rookie spot for him if he's really that desperate to return to QLD.
I can see the Suns wiping away the tears as he tells his story

Why not? I would imagine a club could get him on a rookie base contact, he hasn't shown any ability to be able to stay on the park.
You can play in the country for big bucks on top of a job handed to you through the club and come out far on top in terms of $$$. Then there’s the cherry on top of lower training standards and nobody always up your bum regarding your preparation and recovery for games.

If by rookie contract offer, you mean $150k max then yeah - might as well work during the week, rock up to train whenever you feel like it, play on a Saturday somewhere and sink all the piss you want, and he'll probably come out on top.

You can play in the country for big bucks on top of a job handed to you through the club and come out far on top in terms of $$$. Then there’s the cherry on top of lower training standards and nobody always up your bum regarding your preparation and recovery for games.

If by rookie contract offer, you mean $150k max then yeah - might as well work during the week, rock up to train whenever you feel like it, play on a Saturday somewhere and sink all the piss you want, and he'll probably come out on top.
What country league is paying upwards of 150k a year per player? Not to mention match payments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jack Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back