Unrestricted Free Agent Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Would still have to be the principle though. If the AFL ticked off Dusty doing it then they can't really stop anyone else in future, which would essentially nullify the principle of UFAs. I think there has to be something more to it.
No Dusty was always an Unrestricted Free Agent this year, he’s out of contract, his ‘retirement’ has no effect on this (and isn’t official until Oct anyways).

We will sign him as a UFA the same as if he had never announced an intention to retire

Sit in a forward pocket on $350k - $500k (according to the HS) for a year or two, hardly breaking the bank with the new cap and giving up no trade assets, don't mind this having a crack at it.
Players don't "sit in the forward pocket" anymore.

They have to work their butts off to get a goal.

He's cooked mate, and will not play again.

GC are supposed to be contending, FFS.

1. Why are Richmond fans so upset about this? Dusty is cooked.
2. Why are Suns fans happy about this? Dusty is cooked.

Barring this year, where he clearly did NGAF.

The backend form of his career is pretty good.

In 2023 he averaged 24 touches and 1.25 goals per game.

Put him in the GC forward line and it's already a massive improvement on the 6th forward they have.

I dare any of you to tell me you would categorically say NO to Dusty walking around in your forward half

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but is he considered a DFA because he retired at the end of his contract? Or is he a UFA based on time served at Richmond?

If the former, what stops any out of contract player simply retiring and getting picked up by their preferred team as a DFA?
Apparently, he did not sign official retirement papers. So he is unrestricted free agent.

Excited John Cena GIF by WWE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, he does.

If he was cooked, why would he be trying to join GC?

Does dusty strike you as the kind of player to not know his own body or drive?
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he had a bit of a lift playing for a new club like GC. How long the enthusiasm boost would last I don't know, but he looked like he couldn't give two stuffs as much as just being cooked. Never seemed quite broken down enough for that, just not 100% in it anymore.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but is he considered a DFA because he retired at the end of his contract? Or is he a UFA based on time served at Richmond?

If the former, what stops any out of contract player simply retiring and getting picked up by their preferred team as a DFA?
Neither. AFL rules state that if a player retires they lose FA eligibility.

I guess it's down to whether Richmond is happy to delist him or GC wants to trade for him. I reckon it'll end up being a goodwill thing as it sounds like they're going to look after us very well in the Rioli trade.

Barring this year, where he clearly did NGAF.

The backend form of his career is pretty good.

In 2023 he averaged 24 touches and 1.25 goals per game.

Put him in the GC forward line and it's already a massive improvement on the 6th forward they have.

I dare any of you to tell me you would categorically say NO to Dusty walking around in your forward half
It wasn't that he didn't give a ****, he was just cooked. The cliff has come quickly for him and he's grabbing one last pay day at GC.
I would categorically say no to a 33yo Dusty in our forward half.

Dustin has retired publicly it even states "Retire Or has lodged"
1726211995588.png

You have the Richmond Football Club selling retirement merchandise in the RoarStore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back