Unrestricted Free Agent Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Good move for Dusty and the suns, not an ideal way but he might have you had second thoughts and wants to unretire.
I don't see how it's a good move the Suns, maybe a good move for Dusty & Ralph Carr's wallet, did you see how he played this year completely checked out.

Did Martin make money off the memorabilia? If he did and he decides to unretire he really should make an apology and say he changed his mind, otherwise he is a selfish campaigner who basically stole peoples money by deceiving them
Yep, it opens up a can of worms given Richmond has been selling Dusty Retirement merchandise in the Roarstore.
If I brought anything I would want a refund.

I don't see how it's a good move the Suns, maybe a good move for Dusty & Ralph Carr's wallet, did you see how he played this year completely checked out.
As much as Dusty looked cooked, new surrounds will perk him up and he can add leadership value worth the short contract.

I can’t for the life of me see what the Suns what with Dusty. He’s cooked as a player, he isn’t a leader’s butthole and marketing wise… he hates the camera and attention??

Looks like a major Crazy Vossy move from Hardwick.

Hardwick figured out he’s a terrible coach that should’ve got sacked in 2016 but got carried by a group of gun players.

Dusty’s only cooked mentally, all the injury stuff is BS. Was playing golf a few days after his supposed back injury this year.

Hardwick figured out he’s a terrible coach that should’ve got sacked in 2016 but got carried by a group of gun players.

Dusty’s only cooked mentally, all the injury stuff is BS. Was playing golf a few days after his supposed back injury this year.
I’m not happy with Dimma as well the last 18 months, however to suggest a 3 time premiership coach is terrible is just fanciful.

I’m not happy with Dimma as well the last 18 months, however to suggest a 3 time premiership coach is terrible is just fanciful.
Beyond fanciful it is disrespectful and ignorant, you must be embarrassed by some of your supporters, fanciful takes

I believe you have to have the cattle to be a mutiple Premiership coach, but he was great 2017-2020 where he let the players play to their strength & we had our best players at their peak, after that I reckon we back to the Dimma of 2012-2015 where he was just a control freak. we also lost a lot of great assistants who are now coaching AFL teams.

Morris on SEN today.

“There’s been a little bit of misinformation around Dustin Martin. He can go to Gold Coast as a free agent, so people comparing this to the Luke Hodge situation, that’s not accurate,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“If you’re going to compare it to anything, it’s Liam Shiels from Hawthorn to North Melbourne. The paperwork for retirements doesn’t get lodged until late October.

“That means that Dusty can change his mind as many times as he wants between now and then and get to the Suns as a free agent.

“In terms of compensation for Richmond if it does happen, it’s unlikely to be anything because he’s in the top age bracket and he probably won’t get paid more than the average AFL wage, maybe even less. I’ve been told all year that the only way he gets to the Suns is if he’s happy to be on $300,000.

“This can get done. If he wants to get to the Suns and if they want him, there’s nothing that can stand in their way.

“This has been pushed by the Dusty camp. Even when he retired, it was the Dusty camp talking about maybe getting to the Suns.”

Morris on SEN today.

“There’s been a little bit of misinformation around Dustin Martin. He can go to Gold Coast as a free agent, so people comparing this to the Luke Hodge situation, that’s not accurate,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“If you’re going to compare it to anything, it’s Liam Shiels from Hawthorn to North Melbourne. The paperwork for retirements doesn’t get lodged until late October.

“That means that Dusty can change his mind as many times as he wants between now and then and get to the Suns as a free agent.

“In terms of compensation for Richmond if it does happen, it’s unlikely to be anything because he’s in the top age bracket and he probably won’t get paid more than the average AFL wage, maybe even less. I’ve been told all year that the only way he gets to the Suns is if he’s happy to be on $300,000.

“This can get done. If he wants to get to the Suns and if they want him, there’s nothing that can stand in their way.

“This has been pushed by the Dusty camp
. Even when he retired, it was the Dusty camp talking about maybe getting to the Suns.”
I mean this would have been pushed by Dimma, let's be honest. As soon as Dimma knew he was heading up there, there's no doubt he was on the phone to a few Tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean this would have been pushed by Dimma, let's be honest. As soon as Dimma knew he was heading up there, there's no doubt he was on the phone to a few Tigers.
Quite clearly reported that it’s coming from Coasty Martins team

He has given great service to Richmond if he wants to play elsewhere then he has every right as a UFA

As someone else said, if Dusty hadn't gone through the immediate retirement palava, then this isn't as big as an issue. Purely from the club marketing perspective, we could have marketed the hell out of the last game of the year against the Suns and got another 90k+ into the MCG, but the club weren't given that opportunity.

As it stands, IMO having watched Dusty for years now, he's lost the acceleration that he had that made him so good and so unstoppable in his prime, and if I had to guess, he has similar hip issues to Kane Lambert who retired and had a hip replacement.

I'd have no problem with Dusty continuing his career at the Gold Coast, it was pretty obvious it wasn't in the clubs interests for him to play on again next year, but I don't really see the benefit to him of doing this. $300k for a year or so, isn't big money for what he has earnt over his career and potentially impacts the ongoing benefits that he'd have earnt from being that one club player that we all hoped he'd be.

He has given great service to Richmond if he wants to play elsewhere then he has every right as a UFA
"Quite clearly reported" - a little bit of critical thinking probably suggests Dimma had an influence in this, I'd be pretty sure they've been in contact a fair bit since he left.

"Quite clearly reported" - a little bit of critical thinking probably suggests Dimma had an influence in this, I'd be pretty sure they've been in contact a fair bit since he left.
You said “pushed by Dimma” Martin loves him and I don’t think Coasty Martin is doing anything he doesn’t want to. He’s not a puppet

As someone else said, if Dusty hadn't gone through the immediate retirement palava, then this isn't as big as an issue. Purely from the club marketing perspective, we could have marketed the hell out of the last game of the year against the Suns and got another 90k+ into the MCG, but the club weren't given that opportunity.

As it stands, IMO having watched Dusty for years now, he's lost the acceleration that he had that made him so good and so unstoppable in his prime, and if I had to guess, he has similar hip issues to Kane Lambert who retired and had a hip replacement.

I'd have no problem with Dusty continuing his career at the Gold Coast, it was pretty obvious it wasn't in the clubs interests for him to play on again next year, but I don't really see the benefit to him of doing this. $300k for a year or so, isn't big money for what he has earnt over his career and potentially impacts the ongoing benefits that he'd have earnt from being that one club player that we all hoped he'd be.

I reckon he just likes being a professional athlete, and hasn't been able to accept yet that his time is up. If Dimma wasn't at GC he probably retires now and we never hear from him again. But I reckon Dimma has gotten in his ear and said the right things. Maybe it works out okay, he might even have two years up there.

He would look shit in a Gold Coast jumper, that's not saying much though as everyone looks shit in that abomination.

Park him in the forward pocket and he definitely contributes to the scoreboard with King and Walter taking the big defenders.

Another year into Bailey Humphrey and Long and you've got a threatening forward line.

Really good recruitment if Dusty is happy to play for a small amount of money. From what I understand he doesn't need it anyway, has a huge commercial Real Estate portfolio that he and his manager have mutual stakes in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back