Unrestricted Free Agent Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Park him in the forward pocket and he definitely contributes to the scoreboard with King and Walter taking the big defenders.

Another year into Bailey Humphrey and Long and you've got a threatening forward line.

Really good recruitment if Dusty is happy to play for a small amount of money. From what I understand he doesn't need it anyway, has a huge commercial Real Estate portfolio that he and his manager have mutual stakes in.
Agree

If he is keen and he seems to be by asking the question of Dimma then I think the club is mad not to give him a go.
How often does a 3x Norm Smith medalist knock on the door of a club chock full of young talent looking for finals experienced veterans

Agree

If he is keen and he seems to be by asking the question of Dimma then I think the club is mad not to give him a go.
How often does a 3x Norm Smith medalist knock on the door of a club chock full of young talent looking for finals experienced veterans
You are overlooking the fact that his body is rooted. He's cooked.

Why GC would want him, and why he would want to go there is an absolute mystery to me.

Why GC would want him, and why he would want to go there is an absolute mystery to me.
Maybe, or maybe he needed new motivation and to get his body right. I don’t think anyone thinks we are getting the 2017 Dusty. What’s your take on the likes of Caro bagging him and the Suns for this initiative, she comes across as small minded and bitter in my eyes, especially her Caros arrow yesterday

Last edited:

Maybe, of maybe he needed new motivation and to get his body right. I don’t think anyone thinks we are getting the 2017 Dusty. What’s your take on the likes of Caro bagging him and the Suns for this initiative, she comes across as small minded and bitter in my eyes, especially her Caros arrow yesterday
Caro's a bit of a campaigner. I don't follow her at all.

As a Suns fan I would be baulking at this idea. Dusty wasn't "checked out" last year, its not in his character.

He's not what you need. Maybe as an assistant? But not as a player.

Caro's a bit of a campaigner. I don't follow her at all.

As a Suns fan I would be baulking at this idea. Dusty wasn't "checked out" last year, its not in his character.

He's not what you need. Maybe as an assistant? But not as a player.
Suns were 3rd this year for inside 50's. It's our conversion in front of goal that really needs help.

We don't need Dusty to be a 30 touches a game player. We just need him to bob up for a few goals per game. Seems the sort who would make the guys around him walk a bit taller too.

He might honestly be exactly what we need. Especially if reports of him being willing to play for minimal salary are true.

More from Ralph on Martin. This story keeps on giving.

‘Mad as hell’: Inside Dimma’s ‘warpath’ approach amid fascinating Dusty call​

Then there’s the Dustin Martin situation.

There’d been rumblings all season the Tigers champion was open to reuniting with Hardwick at the Suns and extending his career up north.

That appeared to go cold for a period when Martin called time on his AFL career, before it recently emerged the three-time Norm Smith medallist met up with Hardwick post season and was considering a retirement backflip.

Indications are that Martin, 33, has more interest in joining the Suns than they do in him, while he could be offered a contract worth around the $300,000 mark.

That’s a fair pay cut for one of the game’s all-time greats on a contract reportedly worth north of $1 million this year at Richmond.

So why is Gold Coast only offering $300,000?

“There was lots of discussions between Dusty and Gold Coast. Then he retired, radio silence and in two months, they spent their money everywhere on Mac Andrew, Daniel Rioli and John Noble,” Ralph told On the Couch.

“Then he calls Damien Hardwick and says: ‘Hey, I’m unretiring myself.’ But they haven’t got the cash.

“So a really interesting litmus test, do you want to play for $300,000? If he does, it’s the right reasons. Come and play in their first finals series and show your leadership.

“If not and you’re looking for superannuation, maybe it’s not the right reasons.

“I think he gets there, but I think that $300,000 figure is really instructive about whether he wants that money.”

Last edited:
Suns were 3rd this year for inside 50's. It's our conversion in front of goal that really needs help.

We don't need Dusty to be a 30 touches a game player. We just need him to bob up for a few goals per game. Seems the sort who would make the guys around him walk a bit taller too.

He might honestly be exactly what we need. Especially if reports of him being willing to play for minimal salary are true.
A few goals per game you say.

That's what full forwards kick these days. I can't see him performing like that.

This whole thing seems bizarre to me, and I will be extremely surprised to see him running around for the Suns next season.

A few goals per game you say.

That's what full forwards kick these days. I can't see him performing like that.

This whole thing seems bizarre to me, and I will be extremely surprised to see him running around for the Suns next season.
If he can kick 25 - 30 goals for the year, that’s still a great result from a bloke on 300k

If he can kick 25 - 30 goals for the year, that’s still a great result from a bloke on 300k
If it’s 300k it would have to be the base with games trigger, apparently we were happy to give up a quality pick to get him last year but the Tigs weren’t having it.

Lucky for us

The story is only getting better. Now Dwayne is seriously suggesting that Dusty goes on rookie list thus saving some money as rookie base salary is not part of salary cap. So, let's say Suns pay Dusty 400K but only 300K goes into cap. Got to love it.

The story is only getting better. Now Dwayne is seriously suggesting that Dusty goes on rookie list thus saving some money as rookie base salary is not part of salary cap. So, let's say Suns pay Dusty 400K but only 300K goes into cap. Got to love it.
Der-Wayne would be correct if you picked him up in the rookie draft.

If you picked him up as a UFA he goes straight onto the main list.

Not sure it really matters though. You either lose a spot on the main list or the rookie list to accomodate him. Otherwise everything else is the same and he could be on either.

Der-Wayne would be correct if you picked him up in the rookie draft.

If you picked him up as a UFA he goes straight onto the main list.

Not sure it really matters though. You either lose a spot on the main list or the rookie list to accomodate him. Otherwise everything else is the same and he could be on either.
There is a difference, extra 100K. I have hard time to see Dusty as a cat A rookie. Crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that you could on the available evidence mount an argument either way: cooked or checked out in 2024 ( although also obviously much declined).

Personally I hope he goes to GC because it will fascinating to see which it is (and yeah obviously I’m one of the ‘good luck to him’ crowd).

Far more intrigued about him than Rioli who I know will be a fantastic acquisition.

Cotchin reasons;

1. Part of him hopes Dusty stays a 1 club player

2. Footy is a tough game

He is not ITK lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Of course he's ITK.

They were team mates and close friends for many years. He knows Dusty's character.

Like a lot of us, he probably thinks the whole thing is ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back