Rumour Dusty to the Suns?

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s an Unrestricted free agent so we can get him for free, no need for a trade
Then I don't understand why some people are annoyed about him (possibly) going.

Hodge would definitely have been a Free Agent as well as he was out of contract. Pretty sure he was 'unrestricted' as he took a massive pay cut in his last year with us.

He looks so bored with football.
Bored with footy or bored with Richmond? I guess we'll find out next year if he does end up moving north. Don't mind the way he looks in the red and gold tbh.

WZAOUtW.jpg

Last edited:
Well QLD does seem to have amazing recover properties aka Daniher, Franklin, Birchall, Hodge, McCarthy all were fitter and less injury prone up there. So we may see Dusty back to his fittest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

all this media about him stuffing his legacy and why is he doing it, only for money (which its not if its only 300k pa)

What if he plays 15-18 games, kicks 30 goals and the SUNS make the finals for first time?
What if based on performance triggers, he gets a second year, and the suns make top 4 in 2026?
Does this do his legacy good? I would think so

all this media about him stuffing his legacy and why is he doing it, only for money (which its not if its only 300k pa)

What if he plays 15-18 games, kicks 30 goals and the SUNS make the finals for first time?
What if based on performance triggers, he gets a second year, and the suns make top 4 in 2026?
Even if he doesn’t…

If he wants to play on for a bit, and maybe he does even want to bring his experience to a newer team? Or maybe he wouldn’t mind living on the Gold Coast? It’s not my cup of tea, but plenty of people I know love visiting.

He is one of the great players of the millennium, more so if you isolate his big game performances. Hes done more than enough for Richmond and anyone cleaning their BBQ with his signed yellow and black jumper right now is a dick.

It’s a privilege to watch players like Martin. **** his legacy from now. He has already earned his legacy.

Did Dusty pretend to retire just to get out of Richmond? With Baker, Rioli, Bolton, Graham and rumours of others desperately trying to get out it doesn't paint a pretty picture of the Tigers at the moment.
This is the thing, he didn't need to pretend to get out, he was an UFA, he could have walked end of season regardless.

It's unusual to say the least.

This is the thing, he didn't need to pretend to get out, he was an UFA, he could have walked end of season regardless.

It's unusual to say the least.
He is an unusual person though?

I mean, would the reaction from some Richmond supporters have been better if he had announced he planned to move prior? I doubt it.

The comms might have gone a bit wrong though. I don’t recall Dustin himself pledging that he was retiring. The story just happened. Whether it was retirement forever, or a year or two at a developing club, I think it was awesome to see the Richmond fans turn out for his last game for Richmond.

These moments are special in footy.

Or goes even further and leads the Suns to an inaugural premiership? It's not like it undoes anything he achieved at Richmond. It just enhances his legacy as a great footballer for two clubs. Dimma kind of did this himself after having a solid 150+ game career in a dominant Essendon side, which included a flag, and finishes up his last three seasons in the AFL with Port where he snags another premiership in the final year of his career. There's no reason Dusty can't become a club great at two teams like many have before him.

GmRVQiV.jpg

Or goes even further and leads the Suns to an inaugural premiership? It's not like it undoes anything he achieved at Richmond. It just enhances his legacy as a great footballer for two clubs. Dimma kind of did this himself after having a solid 150+ game career in a dominant Essendon side, which included a flag, and finishes up his last three seasons in the AFL with Port where he snags another premiership in the final year of his career. There's no reason Dusty can't become a club great at two teams like many have before him.

GmRVQiV.jpg

That's certainly true for Martin in terms of his overall standing in the game. But ultimately Martin and I'd argue Hardwick (unless something remarkable happens from here) will be remembered most for their time at Richmond. And I think Richmond people will be looking on with great interest.

If Martin has like a Sam Mitchell at the Eagles retirement tour as a serviceable player who doesn't come close to reaching the heights of his prime, well over time, the Richmond supporters who are feeling as though he's done them a bit dirty will let bygones be bygones. But if he immediately gets his mojo back and recaptures his AA form and the Suns move straight into premiership contention, I think a lot of Richmond supporters who saw a seemingly cooked and disinterested Martin jogging around the field in 2024 while earning huge money will find it very hard to forgive. Especially after the way Hardwick left a year earlier: jumping off the sinking ship and regaining his motivation within about two months when he had the opportunity to take over one of the most talented young lists in the game and with a potential GOAT draft haul with the academy picks going into the 2024 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Dusty to the Suns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back