Dylan Grimes and diving - Why the AFL needs to act

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't be that guy.

Stringer clearly gave him a push, not much in it, but don't give the ump a chance to ping you.

Focus on a great festival of footy up in the NT, not this miserableness.

Lol Excellent logic

Don’t make contact in a contact sport so you don’t give the guy a chance to dive.

Just **** off mate. It was dive and nothing short of it. Half the issue is your bellend supporters making excuses for it.

Most Essendon supporters call out D Smith when he does it so why can’t you?

Lol Excellent logic

Don’t make contact in a contact sport so you don’t give the guy a chance to dive.

Just fu** off mate. It was dive and nothing short of it. Half the issue is your bellend supporters making excuses for it.

Most Essendon supporters call out D Smith when he does it so why can’t you?
seriously mate, focus on Mosquito's great debut and other positives like your defence conceding only 70 points from 60 entries, and near-perfect goal kicking efficiancy from your forwards.

there is no happiness to be found obsessing about a push in the back that could easily have been let go by the umps but wasn't.

That is the very opposite of what last night's occasion was all about. I think it's a real shame too that The Age has run a story about that umpiring decision this morning up front, instead of about Mozzie and Bolton and the celebration of indigenous footy.

Can't we all just for once rise above the tedious minutiae of the game?

seriously mate, focus on Mosquito's great debut and other positives like your defence conceding only 70 points from 60 entries, and near-perfect goal kicking efficiancy from your forwards.

there is no happiness to be found obsessing about a push in the back that could easily have been let go by the umps but wasn't.

That is the very opposite of what last night's occasion was all about. I think it's a real shame too that The Age has run a story about that umpiring decision this morning up front, instead of about Mozzie and Bolton and the celebration of indigenous footy.

Can't we all just for once rise above the tedious minutiae of the game?

We can, when you admit grimes and vlaustin took a dive.

The only animosity in here is with your idiot supporters who endorse staging.

Just have them fined after games. Works in the nba
The fine is not enough.. it costs teams games, you cannot get those 4points back. Make a show of them, announce it over the system so everyone at the stadium as well as at home know exactly what has happened and why.

The fine is not enough.. it costs teams games, you cannot get those 4points back. Make a show of them, announce it over the system so everyone at the stadium as well as at home know exactly what has happened and why.
Love it, can we include the blokes who flop on their guts every time they fell a tackle coming from behind? Ground announcer is going to be busy but the idea has great comedic possibilities.

This is Grimes' third blatant dive in the past 12 months.

At what point does the AFL do something about this? All three were beneficial to his team. Why would any player not go for a dive when it can directly lead to a goal? It is only going to get worse, especially when diving is only cited if there the media makes a big deal of it.

Qual final against Brisbane:

Last month:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he wasn't even cited for this?

Tonight:

Disclaimer: Incoming hate coming for being an Essendon supporter. If it makes you feel better, I know we were almost certainly going to lose tonight for reasons other than the dive.

You’ve certainly got some guts starting a thread such as this. You are a monte to cop a fearful public spray from Dimma casting serious aspersions on your masculinity and parenthood. That’s not to speak of the abuse from the precious Tiger posters, who no doubt will trawl back through the archives of all Essendon matches for the past 30 years trying to find evidence of similar incidents involving Bomber players.

I do agree with you though. I vividly remember Grimes collapsing in a heap last season as if Mason Cox had belted him with a sledge hammer. Cox copped a week for the most innocuous and accidental contact. Blokes like Grimes are an absolute blight on the game. I suppose though he’s had some good mentors, with Rance and Reiwoldt leading the way. Lindsay Thomas was an angel compared to Grimes.

The issue goes beyond Grimes.

Early in the 3rd quarter, Riewoldt leans into an Essendon player - but he doesn't dive. He continues to compete. It was a push.

Riewoldt marks. No free.

If the Essendon player staged, or milked it, he'd have received the free.

So where's the incentive NOT to stage? The umpires look for it, and reward it. You're almost negligent as a player if you DON'T stage.

As a follow up to this, it's worth noting that Papley received a Free Kick for his dive.

The same weekend I saw Zac Jones nearly get knocked out in a tackle by an opponents swinging arm - but he didn't throw his head back and stage. He subsequently lay there dazed, and was then pinged for 'Not Making a Genuine Attempt'. He was barely conscious!

Guys like Grimes, Mathieson and Lonie from St Kilda know what the umpires are coached to look for.
And I think that's where the issue lays. The actions that umpires look for seem to now outweigh the actual incident.

They don't seem to look for a guy being held - they look for a stretch of the jumper or arms around him.

They don't look for actual head high contact, they look for the guy throwing his head back.

They don't look for pushes in the back - they look for the reaction of the player. A guy could be shoved square in the back, but if he continues to contest it it will be play on. The exact same scenario, except the same guy accentuates the contact and stages - he'll get the free.

It's just really poor officiating.

If the AFL haven't acted on Shuey, they aren't exactly going to act on Grimes. Not exactly the biggest offender. We got blokes like Luke Shuey been diving and dropping to his knees for years, making a career out of it. If the AFL haven't acted on that - they never will.

History will show a 2 time premiership player(At least).
"The premiership player" argument when discussing an individual is just the most useless point, just means he was in a good team. Plenty of spuds that are premiership players (Richard Hadley and Aaron Shattock off the top of my head)

I'm prefacing this with I dont support Grimes or Ward but death threats? FFS you bunch of flogs. It's exactly the type of people who start these threads, and the people who pile on with abuse and personal attacks, who are directly harmful to players of a professional sport that we all say we love.

Seriously, pull ya heads in everyone on here contributing to this BS.

Stop attacking players. Stop creating such a toxic online culture towards AFL players. Grow TF up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can, when you admit grimes and vlaustin took a dive.

The only animosity in here is with your idiot supporters who endorse staging.

Nah the animosity is the idiots like you lot causing an atmosphere where fans think its fine to send players and their families death threats. Its a game, stop being so abusive online towards another human being because an umpire made a decision you disagree with

Definitely a dive, but nothing on Papley this season - he’s putting up Greg Louganis like efforts each week.

If the AFL haven't acted on Shuey, they aren't exactly going to act on Grimes. Not exactly the biggest offender. We got blokes like Luke Shuey been diving and dropping to his knees for years, making a career out of it. If the AFL haven't acted on that - they never will.
He stopped that when Simpson became coach.

Now he just racks up best individual effort for a grand final in a decade instead.

Nah the animosity is the idiots like you lot causing an atmosphere where fans think its fine to send players and their families death threats. Its a game, stop being so abusive online towards another human being because an umpire made a decision you disagree with
Inb4 “I don’t condone death threats but...”

Dive or putting a bit of mayo on it ? If Stringer doesn’t shove Grimes he smashes that contest 100 out of 100 times. Pushing someone when they are running and about to jump can easily change the direction. I’m sure there is some physics do da that illustrates it etc

Love it, can we include the blokes who flop on their guts every time they fell a tackle coming from behind? Ground announcer is going to be busy but the idea has great comedic possibilities.
I think you're missing the point.. time and time again we see bad calls whether it be staging, diving or milking of frees that umpires fall for in the split second of the action, if the 4th umpire or ARC can simply say to the umpire 'hey mate, you've been sucked in there, video replay shows a blatant act of diving, milking,staging, reverse the free kick where it happened and pay a 50m penalty from there' these acts would be quickly eradicated.. hate seeing teams lose on really bad decisions, my team or not..

Jeez guys stop picking on Richmond tall poppy syndrome much haha you hate them because you aint them Lynch is a top bloke would love a beer with him and Jack to chin wag the dynasty that is 2 in 40 years.

How great would it be to sing The Killers karaoke with Jacky Boy what a bloke love him

It’s clearly an issue. It’s been allowed to happen because umpires have allowed it, and the AFL hasn’t clamped down on reporting players for it. If the AFL want to stop it they’d give Vlaustin and Grimes a week each. Very simple.

It’s clearly there, you’re either bias to the point of being unreasonable or just can’t see it, but it’s blatant. It’s cost Essendon a goal also. It’ll happen in a final, it will, it probably has, and it’ll be huge. Maybe a GF. And then and only then will the AFL perhaps do something. It’s just a blight on the game.

There is nothing more ironic than a post by an Essendon player about cheating.

Wada says love you long time.
That’s bullshit, that isn’t the topic of the thread. Essendon has done their time for what they did. Watch that vision and tell us two of your players didn’t cheat. If you can do that you’re a liar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan Grimes and diving - Why the AFL needs to act

Remove this Banner Ad

Back