Early Predictions for 2004

Remove this Banner Ad

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There will be other threads about next season's prospects later but how about people's thoughts about 2004 right now. Here are mine.

Predicted Finish : 10th. (10 wins)

Best and Fairest : Rohan Smith

Leading Goalkicker : Jade Rawlings 55 goals

Best 1st Year Player : Adam Cooney

Season Highlight : Beating Richmond.

Predicted Finish : 8th. (12 wins)

Best and Fairest : Robert Murphy

Leading Goalkicker : Luke Darcy 42 goals

Best 1st Year Player : Cam Faulkner

Season Highlight : Wiggins kicks 8 on Mal Michael in the Dogs 137 point win over the Lions at the Gabba

Predicted Finish: 6th (13 wins + plus 1 final)

Best and Fairest: Westy

Leading Goalkicker: Jade Rawlings - 35 goals (6 others kicking over 20 for the season)

Best 1st Year Player: Cameron Faulkner

Season Highlight: Winning our first final in 2004

Above pending good run with injuries.

I was going to say Cam Faulkner but I didn't know if he qualifies because it is his second year.
I will be happy for both Cooney and Faulkner to challenge for the Rising Star award.

Predicted Finish: 9th (10 wins, 2 draws)

Best and Fairest: Luke Darcy

Leading Goalkicker: Brad Johnson (44)

Best 1st Year Player: Adam Cooney

Season Highlights:
Faulkner, Cooney and Ray all making their debut in round one.
Morgan keeping Barry Hall to one goal.
Bandy's 7 goal effort against the Swans. (same game)
Koops mark of the year.
Street 50 hitout game against the Saints. (most of them going to the doggies midfield :))

Predicted finish: Ask me round 5...
Best and Fairest: No idea, Birss in top 5
Skipper will not get a game, Cooney will be a star before sitting out the 2nd half of the season with osteitis pubis.
Leading goalkicker, Johnson 45
Grant will struggle...

Predicted Finish: 9th

Best and Fairest: Robert Murphy (finally one of the young 'uns gets through)

Leading Goalkicker: Brad Johnson (46)

Best 1st Year Player: Cam Faulkner

Season Highlights:
The rising star nominations pouring in (Faulkner, Ray, Cooney, and Walsh all a chance!)
Morgo and Harris crashing into opposition key forwards all season.

I concede that it may become tougher for Skipper to get a run this coming season, but I hope he does. I'm sure injuries or poor form of individuals will help him out.

Also, it's rare to see teams jump straight into the eight after getting the spoon. I'm just hoping we're more like West Coast and Freo were in 2001 and can jump up a bit like they did the following year. Hopefully we'll be somewhere near the middle and can set ourselves for a return to finals in 2005.

Predicted Finish : 7th (12 wins)

Best and Fairest : Scott West

Leading Goalkicker : Jade Rawlings 39 goals

Season Highlight : Having 3 All-Australians (Darcy, Rawlings & Murphy), the Rising Star Winner (Cooney) & with the development of our youngsters, setting the scene for a real premiership tilt in the next couple of years.

Originally posted by Anja_Nees
I concede that it may become tougher for Skipper to get a run this coming season, but I hope he does. I'm sure injuries or poor form of individuals will help him out.
Anja, What do you think Skipper's best playing position would be for the club ?
A couple of seasons back I thought he might be a decent CHB option but now I think he has to play as a forward. The trouble is with Rawlings, Bandy, Bowden and a few others like Grant or Croft there may not be a spot for him. The club also seemed to want to try Harris as a FF as well last season. Skipper has talent but I cant see a spot for him in our best 18 considering the players we traded/drafted to the club.

Predicted Finish : 15th (5 wins)

Best and Fairest : Luke Darcy

Leading Goalkicker : Jade Rawlings 33 goals

Season Highlight : another 2 top 5 draft picks

Predicted Finish : 9th (9 wins)

Best and Fairest : Scott West (again)

Leading Goalkicker : Jade Rawlings 38 goals

Best 1st Year Player : Cameron Faulker

Season Highlight : Hargrave knocking Brown out with a beautiful right hander, in the Dogs 1 point victory over the Tigers with Hahn kicking the goal after the siren from a 50m penalty against Brown.

Predicted Finish : 10th (10 wins)

Leading Goalkicker : Luke darcy & Brad Johnson 38

Season Highlight : Having Chris Grant back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by OldSchool
Anja, What do you think Skipper's best playing position would be for the club ?
A couple of seasons back I thought he might be a decent CHB option but now I think he has to play as a forward. The trouble is with Rawlings, Bandy, Bowden and a few others like Grant or Croft there may not be a spot for him. The club also seemed to want to try Harris as a FF as well last season. Skipper has talent but I cant see a spot for him in our best 18 considering the players we traded/drafted to the club.

I think he'll struggle for game time next year, but I see him as the long-term replacement for Bandy. I get the feeling that Minson and Walsh will edge ahead of him as the first-choice key forward options over the next few years, but I think he could play a roaming tall forward role pretty well.

I haven't seen him play back yet really, so I'll wait and see on that one. There may be a role to fill there as well. However, I believe he'll shape up as a tall forward who pinch-hits in the ruck.

Predicted Finish : 12th (9 wins)

Best and Fairest : Brad Johnson

Leading Goalkicker : Jade Rawlings, 44

Season Highlight : Simon Garlick kicking an after-the-siren goal to defeat the Kangaroos (for some reason, I dreamt it).

Finish : 4th

B & F : Brad Johnson

Leading Goal Kicker : Rawlings/Croft 42 each

Best 1st year player : Cooney/Faulkner

Season Highlight : Thumping Richmond by 97 points is the Semi's.
And Brown doing a knee whilst turning on a five cent piece. (Which he is actually trying to pick up after richmond ask their players for salary rebate.)

Nah, really i just hope they ask for a rebate of some sort.

Predicted Finish : 7th

Best and Fairest : Scott west

Leading Goalkicker : Jade Rawlings

Season Highlight : Beating Richmond, playing in finals, having granty back, and watching birssy boy play a lot of fantastic footy.

Scray, cam does qualifies, he may be in his 2nd year, but he hasnt played senior footy , exactly like skip this year, he was in his 2nd year with the doggies but he won best 1st year player this year at the best and fairest.

I like stalker's idea of birssy being in the top 5 on the b n f, woohoo hope it comes true.

Predicted Finish: 10th

Best and Fairest: Westy

Leading Goalkicker: johnno

Best First Year Player: Cooney

Season Highlight: Beating the Eagles at Subiaco.

Originally posted by Borgsta
Predicted Finish : 19th (9 wins)

Best and Fairest : Scott West (again)

Leading Goalkicker : Jade Rawlings 38 goals

Season Highlight : Hargrave knocking Brown out with a beautiful right hander, in the Dogs 1 point victory over the Tigers with Hahn kicking the goal after the siren from a 50m penalty against Brown.

Is that all the respect you sorry bunch of ar_seholes have for a fella that propped the club up for the last few years...

Whats the diff between Browny and

Georgie Bisset
David Thorpe
Gary Dempsey
Bernie Quinlan
Barry Round
Kelvin Templeton
Jim Edmond
Brad Hardie

Sorry that must be Judas IX

Eatem Alive

Optimistic version (no major injuries, assumes Grant makes a great return; Rawlings maintains '03 form; we get the best out of Street; Harris & Morgan step up; significant improvement in Hargrave, McGuinness, Guido, Gilbee, Birss etc):

Predicted finish: 6th, 13 1/2 wins +win one final, lose another

B&F: West

Leading goalkicker: Rawlings with 67

Best first year player: Cooney

Season highlight: Winning against the Swans at the SCG, behind all day and Eagleton pots a long one on the siren

Pessimistic version (assumes a few major injuries; assumes Grant makes an ordinary return; Rawlings well below '03 form; Street turns out to be a dud; Harris & Morgan don't step up; no significant improvement in Hargrave, McGuinness, Guido, Gilbee, Birss etc):

Predicted finish: 13th, 7 wins

B&F: West

Leading goalkicker: Rawlings with 37

Best first year player: Cooney

Season highlight: Winning against the Swans at the SCG, behind all day and Eagleton pots a long one on the siren

Predicted Finish: 10th (11 Wins)

Best and Fairest: Jade Rawlings

Leading Goal Kicker: Jade Rawlings (48 Goals)

Best 1st Year Player: Cameron Faulkener

Season Highlight: Wiggins getting a game

FINISH: 8th (12 wins, 10 losses, percentage 102.5)

B&F: Brad 'Smiley' Johnson by 5 votes from Scott 'The Stat' West with Jade 'Kanga' Rawlings a further 12 votes behind in 3rd spot.

GOALKICKER: Chris 'Ramjet' Grant (49 goals)

1ST YEAR: Farren 'Sting' Ray or Adam 'Wookie' Cooney

SEASON HIGHLIGHTS:
1. Membership increases to 25K
2. Sponsorship deals see the club make a profit (with the million from the league)
3. Steven 'Springy' Koops takes mark of the year against Port in front of his mates in Darwin
4. Peter 'Barkley' Street bcomes a cult hero as he thrashes the only bloke in the league who is taller than him.
5. Ryan 'Lennox' Hargrave lands a haymaker on Nathan Brown to see Richmond finish 9th (again, and even though Ryan will get 3-4 weeks it will be worth it.)

Originally posted by rioli17

Whats the diff between Browny and

Georgie Bisset
David Thorpe
Gary Dempsey
Bernie Quinlan
Barry Round
Kelvin Templeton
Jim Edmond
Brad Hardie
A lot of those left in the 70s when our admin was in a shocking state.
Eg. We got rid of Round.
Hardie left because of the coach
Templeton was finished.
If Edmond is example of what happens when you chase $s like Brown. It will be justice.

As mentioned early Brown left because of the $, if he was chasing quick success he would have gone elsewhere.

Go home and prepare for the Stryper concert

Originally posted by Abaddon
Predicted Finish : 15th (5 wins)

Leading Goalkicker : Jade Rawlings 33 goals

Season Highlight : another 2 top 5 draft picks

Hilarious. Are you Tim Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Early Predictions for 2004

Remove this Banner Ad

Back