Unsolved Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Police have arrested a man in Italy over the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in their Easey Street home. He fled Australia in 2017 after he became aware he was a suspect.

The man fled to Greece and couldn’t be arrested because local laws meant charges must be laid within seven years of the offence.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.CREDIT: STEPHEN KIPRILLIS

Police have waited those 15 years for him to leave Greece so he could be arrested. They will now seek to extradite him to Melbourne to face the charges.

A police spokesperson confirmed a 65-year-old dual citizen of Australia and Greece was arrested at an airport in Rome in the early hours on Friday.

For you russian bots , long unsolved double murder in Melbourne

It may have nothing to do with this but I just stumbled over some information I didn't know. A knife was found close by at Victoria Park Railway Station around the same time, blood found on the knife was the same blood type as one of the girls.

Someone 17 or 18yo without a license might have got out of there on the train.

View attachment 2117104
everything ive read about that knife is that it is unlikely connected to the crime,definately did not have the blood of the victims on it

In one of the articles it says he’s made contact with his father and has a relationship with him and his family. But yes, there could be another connection 😟
Gregory apparently was born in Greece, father's name Adrian (not sure if that's the right spelling) from the island of Naxos.

Suzanne had told him she would return with the baby after a holiday in Melbourne.

This information must be in one of the books.
I was going to say I’d be stunned if this connection isn’t coincidental. Then I remembered just how massive the Greek population is here and even was then, especially in the inner north. Very well could be just an eerie coincidence

everything ive read about that knife is that it is unlikely connected to the crime,definately did not have the blood of the victims on it

I'm hearing same blood type of one, it wasn't possible to get a definitive match back then but it might be bad information.

We'll see.

I don’t think the suspect is necessarily connected to baby “Greg”. There are a huge number of Greeks in Melbourne. I’m hoping for “Greg’s” sake he’s not.
100%. As a kid and to this day growing up and living in the northern suburbs I’d say at least 30% of friends I’ve had and do have are Greek. Probably and hopefully is just a coincidence

I was going to say I’d be stunned if this connection isn’t coincidental. Then I remembered just how massive the Greek population is here and even was then, especially in the inner north. Very well could be just an eerie coincidence

One of the articles suggested as she was speaking Greek she probably caught the eye of a boy in the community.

One of the articles suggested as she was speaking Greek she probably caught the eye of a boy in the community.
So much going on. There’s that, the possible Fitzroy High connection too. Student infatuation with a teacher gone way too far? Will be interesting

I know I am being salacious, but were the ladies sex workers? As in, the likelihood of a many men visiting them, as well as a nationally known sporting identity...or am I asking the question, because I can't read between the lines... and the articles don't wish to besmirch their history

The speculation from the start is that they were on the game, that was 47 years ago you would think times have changed and that reasonable consideration would be given to fact.

They were two human beings who were sensessly murdered in their 20's in their home when they had their whole futures ahead of them.
They were sisters, daughters, granddaughters, neices and one a young mother.

This questioning, of them being somehow responsible for their own murders, when it has been refuted by every single writer and reporter, is beyond belief.

Last edited:
So much going on. There’s that, the possible Fitzroy High connection too. Student infatuation with a teacher gone way too far? Will be interesting
Or it could be someone known as part of and around the neighbourhood or in fact a neighbour.
Someone who was hanging out at the local milkbar, it could be as ordinary as that.

The fact that they were country girls, who left the back gate and door accessable, also, could have become known in the neighbourhood and /or by someone wanting to find out.

I know I am being salacious, but were the ladies sex workers? As in, the likelihood of a many men visiting them, as well as a nationally known sporting identity...or am I asking the question, because I can't read between the lines... and the articles don't wish to besmirch their history.
I can’t be sure but I’m quite inclined to think they were just two young women who weren’t totally chaste in terms of their sex lives and perhaps had multiple partners. This incited all sorts of horrible reporting on them at the time.

The fact that they were country girls, who left the back gate and door accessable, also, could have become known in the neighbourhood and /or by someone wanting to find out.
Fairly standard for the time

Our back door was never locked . Mind you the German Shepherd helped

Or it could be someone known as part of and around the neighbourhood or in fact a neighbour.
Someone who was hanging out at the local milkbar, it could be as ordinary as that.

There was construction being undertaken on the Collingwood Community Health Centre as well, which was directly behind their house. Workers would have been coming and going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was construction being undertaken on the Collingwood Community Health Centre as well, which was directly behind their house. Workers would have been coming and going.
Yes, 17 is the right age for an apprentice or labourer.

The ABC giving it the reporting it deserves.
It has been the biggest Cold case in Melbourne.
The equivalent to the Beaumont Children.

Yeah, for sure. It’s massive. Second biggest spectre hanging over the city after Mr Cruel you’d think. If you don’t say you shudder when you pass Easey Street on the tram you ain’t from Melbourne.

Yeah, for sure. It’s massive. Second biggest spectre hanging over the city after Mr Cruel you’d think. If you don’t say you shudder when you pass Easey Street on the tram you ain’t from Melbourne.
in 2016 i got sick overseas so flew back to melbourne in april,didnt want to bother my family with it so stayed in a hotel,booked return flight for 2 weeks,went to docs and they told me to return in a week,so had bugger all to do

so decided among other things to go check out easey street and dennis allens empire,travelled by train from south yarra to richmond,then got a bus to easey street,the stop was after easey street and quite a way past(probably was a stop just before it but i decided to press the button once i saw the street name),i walked back getting excited thinking this would be a nice long walk finding 147 and maybe that shudder will come,f me,i entered the street and there it was

wish it was at the other end,had to find other things to do that day

The ABC giving it the reporting it deserves.
It has been the biggest Cold case in Melbourne.
The equivalent to the Beaumont Children.

An arrest 47 years later is utterly staggering.

The perp may as well have been a ghost, it was a whodunnit that was never going to be solved.

The initial investigation was no doubt hugely flawed which I assumed had doomed it forever. I doubt many thought otherwise.

This is absolutely amazing.

The perp may as well have been a ghost, it was a whodunnit that was never going to be solved.

The initial investigation was no doubt hugely flawed which I assumed had doomed it forever. I doubt many thought otherwise.

Plus so many of the original people of interest have died.

Wiki states:
"In 2011, however, the case was quietly re-opened under the supervision of the detective Ron Iddles."

In affect it has been 12 years of slog by Vic Pol.
The fact that there was DNA being the key.

I agree however it is a stunning turn up for the books.

Wiki states:
"In 2011, however, the case was quietly re-opened under the supervision of the detective Ron Iddles."

In affect it has been 12 years of slog by Vic Pol.
The fact that there was DNA being the key.

I agree however it is a stunning turn up for the books.
When you consider the evidence with the DNA legit disappeared in a warehouse for 17 years it’s even more amazing

So Iddles was the constable who stopped the suspect weeks after the murder and found a knife in the boot with bloodstains on it. Suspect said he found the knife at Vic street station. Iddles handed it to detectives but never heard back from them. Assume he didn’t follow up either. Starting to sound like come shoddy police work at the time.

So Iddles was the constable who stopped the suspect weeks after the murder and found a knife in the boot with bloodstains on it. Suspect said he found the knife at Vic street station. Iddles handed it to detectives but never heard back from them. Assume he didn’t follow up either. Starting to sound like come shoddy police work at the time.
Reminiscent of the Claremont case

A traffic stop led to the discovery of rape/torture equipment among less eye opening equipment such as hammers and rope etc

This - as far as anyone knows = was never investigated further than a weirdo with a fetish

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsolved Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back