Current Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Police have arrested a man in Italy over the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in their Easey Street home. He fled Australia in 2017 after he became aware he was a suspect.

The man fled to Greece and couldn’t be arrested because local laws meant charges must be laid within seven years of the offence.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.

EaseyStGregory.png

Police have waited those 15 years for him to leave Greece so he could be arrested. They will now seek to extradite him to Melbourne to face the charges.

A police spokesperson confirmed a 65-year-old dual citizen of Australia and Greece was arrested at an airport in Rome in the early hours on Friday.

For you russian bots , long unsolved double murder in Melbourne

Last edited by a moderator:
He's exercised his right to silence other than to say he was innocent and agrees to extradition, which should likely see him back in Australia pretty quick.

“He was certainly surprised that he had been arrested. He told me he came to Italy for professional reasons, work-related reasons. That’s what he told me,” she said. “Only for a few days and then to return to Greece, and he did not expect this arrest, that’s for sure.”
“He said he wants to come back to Australia and explain everything,”

"About a week after the killings, he was pulled over by police in a routine patrol near Easey Street, and it was recorded in coronial proceedings that he was carrying a knife. He was also named in an inquest into the deaths as the person who found the knife used in the killings but was not called as he could not be located"

Feels like they should have found the school link if he was known to police?

Maybe they knew about that but the murders were so brutal he was just dismissed as never being capable of doing it plus the alibi he seems to have had which was rock solid.
Probably a few lads known to police from that school in the 70s

And it would have been one of many traffic stops with knives present
One of many with knives present? Right near the scene? With a knife containing the same blood type as a victim? In the possession of a criminal who lived right near the victims AND was a student at the same school a victim taught at?

Nah, the cops including Iddles have a lot to answer for here

One of many with knives present? Right near the scene? With a knife containing the same blood type as a victim? In the possession of a criminal who lived right near the victims AND was a student at the same school a victim taught at?

Nah, the cops including Iddles have a lot to answer for here
Not sure how the cops work but I don't think Iddles (junior constable at the time) can be charging people for murder. I'd imagine that sort of evidence goes to the detectives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back