Current Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Police have arrested a man in Italy over the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in their Easey Street home. He fled Australia in 2017 after he became aware he was a suspect.

The man fled to Greece and couldn’t be arrested because local laws meant charges must be laid within seven years of the offence.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.

EaseyStGregory.png

Police have waited those 15 years for him to leave Greece so he could be arrested. They will now seek to extradite him to Melbourne to face the charges.

A police spokesperson confirmed a 65-year-old dual citizen of Australia and Greece was arrested at an airport in Rome in the early hours on Friday.

For you russian bots , long unsolved double murder in Melbourne

Last edited by a moderator:
Recent article in Age posted here said a then Constable Ron Iddles pulled him up in his car and knife was in the boot with bloodstains. Iddles passed on to detectives but never heard back and assume never followed up.

Wonder if Iddles ever followed up when he was the state's top homicide detective ? Was pretty thorough in that job. Left no stone unturned.

My knowledge is Victorian specific and a couple of decades old, but the breach rate for all parolees was about a third (give or take a few percentage points). This includes reoffending, doing a runner or both,

I did see a report in the papers that the recidivism rate for released convicted prisoners under the the new stricter parole guidelines remains about the same or higher for those not released on parole.

The breaching rate for parolees released following a conviction of Murder, including reoffending, doing a runner or both was less than 10%.

Over a century, to the best of my my memory, a grand total of four persons released from custody following a conviction for murder have been convicted of a further charge of murder. As I said, my specific knowledge is not current, but i do keep a track of names I recognise.

I find it a bit weird that the default response of posters is to go the worst case scenario and start promoting serial killer allegations without any proof at all.

Not saying he didn't commit other murders, serial killers are only a miniscule percentage of all murderers.

I suppose that the serial murderer stirs the imaginations with visceral thrills
I get that it seems counterintuitive to do something as perverse as a frenzied knife attack/rape as a one off, but people do horrendous things in a given instance and then not again. Plenty of war criminals live civilised post-war lives etc.

Unfortunately (assuming it’s the right person) I don’t think he’ll be falling over himself to confess so we probably won’t find out the details.

It’s possible there were a few culprits, or that he flew into a rage over a rejection or that he was horrified by his own conduct in the aftermath or scared straight by nearly getting caught.

The other thing is that committing an act like this one isn’t really a logical act, and there might not be much of a logical explanation.

No one is perfect - sounds like he left this stone unturned

If I’m reading right he was a 20yo constable at the time. Apparently did the traffic stop, found the knife in the car and passed it on to the detectives on the case.

Probably not much more he could/should have done

If I’m reading right he was a 20yo constable at the time. Apparently did the traffic stop, found the knife in the car and passed it on to the detectives on the case.

Probably not much more he could/should have done
And it would have been one of many traffic stops with knives present

There's more information in this segment, Perry lived in a warehouse in Dandenong which I think he owned. Was said to have sold up his properties when he moved to Greece.

Another image in there, I can't tell how tall he is but he looks to be slight framed.

perry1.png

How do you go about " living " in a factory ? Common ? Council approvement ?
I looked into it - most have office space you can convert into a bedroom - showers and toilet facilities and with a bit of handyman work another office as a lounge/kitchen with a microwave or you eat out a lot

Then imagine the entertaining area ! :D

Definitely a single male lifestyle choice imo

How do you go about " living " in a factory ? Common ? Council approvement ?
Pretty easily if you are there for secruity, as that is one of the permitted reasons that you can live in factories and warehouses here in Vic.

Ok this is interesting as to the suspects character.
I had a convo with my 93 yo Dad who said he remembers at the time when he was the site Architect in charge of the refurbishment of the exhibition Buildings in the 70-80's that two of the workers on site, had gone to school with the suspect and were Greek and lived nearby and knew him.
They were talking on site and discussing about whether they should go to the cops about him as they thought at the time that he was involved. They didn't like his character at all.
Dad doesn't know whether they did say something or not but it's interesting that two of a peer group thought it was him or that he was somewhere involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back