News Eddie officially a Crow - post #217

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Eddie. You were a shining light in the dark years and I will never forget how you used to turn it on against essendon and the spectacular goals.

Sucks we don't get a compo pick, would have been nice to get a psd pick, all those years of service and then turn it into a second rd pick.

Good luck Eddie. Could have been handled better but oh well.

Look for Garlett to have a great season next year.

Best wishes to Eddie Betts, you have been a great plYer for our cub.

Just a quick question guys, how are Sydney, GWS, and Adelaide confirming these signings when the free agency period doesn't even start till tomorrow. I thought it was against the rules to offer contracts outside FA and trade periods.

Best wishes to Eddie Betts, you have been a great plYer for our cub.

Just a quick question guys, how are Sydney, GWS, and Adelaide confirming these signings when the free agency period doesn't even start till tomorrow. I thought it was against the rules to offer contracts outside FA and trade periods.

Of that list, it is only against the rules for Adelaide. NSW teams can do whatever they want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His manager, Ned Guy, has said that a bigger pay packet was one of the incentives for Betts to leave.

"That’s definitely part of it, but it’s also playing out the rest of his days in a good environment," Guy said on SEN this week.

"He loves the Carlton footy club, he probably didn’t have his best year this year, but that’s one of the factors that we will certainly take into consideration when we make a decision."

Interesting comments. Betts wasn't too happy with Mick's style I assume?

Good luck to him, glad everyone else here is supportive, too. Was sensational to watch when he was on fire but we've not been able to make that forward line click consistently. Hopefully Adelaide can get a better set up going (just not against us).

It's a strange feeling, in one way it's sad to see him leave because he gave us hope during our dark years, but at the same time, it's a bit of a relief cos we have many other areas we need to fix in our team and it gives us salary cap relief to sign some big names.

$500k per year over 4 years would have been detrimental to the club. It's a big risk paying that sort of money to a small fwd whose turning 27 next month and arguably may not return to the quality he showed over the last 4 or 5 years. This year he showed signs that he hasn't got the consistency in his game that once was there. Whether he gets that back the Crows remains to be seen. But in saying that, he will be very handy for them.

Very sad to lose Eddie, but the club have acted appropriately in not compromising our pay structures.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Eddie's time at Carlton. He regularly managed to pull out the spectacular, even when things weren't going well & the way he has fought above his weight division, playing virtually as a CHF, is to be admired. I certainly wish Eddie all the best & look forward to seeing Louis Betts running around in the Navy Blue in 2030.

To MEB, my thoughts are with you during this sad time. Try to remember the good times, but don't feel guilty when you finally move on & decide to become Mrs Troy Menzel.

Shattered, but I understand that's the way professional sport is. :(
Seconded.

Got him for nix, get nix back for him, but had 180 odd games which generated a highlights reel so long it needs and intermission.

One of my best memories is of Eddie's reaction to AW1's famous (not)MOTY. Eddie's smile and punch in the air in celebration of his sport and his team mate summed up one of the true characters in the AFL.

Good luck Eddie and thanks.

Posted this on the thread on the main board:

While I would hate to see him playing for a different club, when he was out of the side earlier during the year due to injury and suspension, Garlett was playing awesome as our number 1 small forward. Garlett's form dropped away massively when Betts returned to the side, so possibly a silver lining.

Will still be a massive loss, but hopefully it will free up some cap space for us to fill an area where we are lacking....a KPF.

Now to find a good KPF that's available, that's the hard part :p

Remove this Banner Ad

News Eddie officially a Crow - post #217

Remove this Banner Ad

Back