EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Westy outclassed today. We try hard just don't have the talent. Same old rubbish every home game just ingrained in them to go to clubroom side never mind if we have players in great position in middle or opposite side. And let's just bomb it long down the line predictable crap every week, Surely the coach can see it if he can't or won't address these obvious issues he needs to go. Can only see them in with a chance against the roys but even that at this stage is a big ask.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can’t make strawberry jam out of horse5hit!
Considering the circumstances he was thrown into I think Flavel has done a great job, did knock off Hillside only 7 days ago.
Big games coming up against Glenroy and Tulla will determine their fate but if he manages to keep them up I think that would be a mighty effort.

Westy outclassed today. We try hard just don't have the talent. Same old rubbish every home game just ingrained in them to go to clubroom side never mind if we have players in great position in middle or opposite side. And let's just bomb it long down the line predictable crap every week, Surely the coach can see it if he can't or won't address these obvious issues he needs to go. Can only see them in with a chance against the roys but even that at this stage is a big ask.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The home and away games of Tulla v Westy are always big but this week it is arguably the biggest. The winner likely to stay up in the division.

Incoming excuses in 3,2,1 …

Cracking game with multiple lead changes late, Martini clutch after the siren on a day where set shots weren’t easy. First half was dominated by WC but missed so many easy chances and nearly cooked it. Deer Park got the ball movement going in the second half and look dangerous.

Thought the WC ruckman held is own against Greenough, Elton was more effective in the ruck second half. Both backlines very strong and held some pretty potent forward lines. We should get a great Grand Final, Deer Park can’t get any stronger, Dorgan good but points have to go back out. Greenwood was very good in the guts and Goater fwd for DP, they carry a few that hurt them with mistakes and Smart seems a bit overrated and massively overpaid, he beats up on the lower teams but couldn’t get near it today, got a cheap one out the back from 2m out. Dinny was enormous at stoppages, Lucas very good defender, Fitaax was solid and Taha and Martini looked dangerous fwd. One team played on 23 points, the other 45, one team spends $100k, the other $400k!

The stream was bloody hard to watch, poor camera work and the commentary was awful. Tara Murray tries hard but no idea how she gets a gig, she’s clueless. Todd (not sure surname) knows about 3 players on each team and just dribbles all game. The EDFL can do a lot better than this, any neutral tuning in today would be laughing at the leagues coverage.
Wow. So how much is Smart paid ?. Points mean nothing when both teams run out and you need to be a little better informed before you trap shoot. Deer Park did not have the captain in today due to illness. Hence, I think any team that has a captain missing would be better when they return to the side. Greenwood hasn't played in weeks and will be 4 x the player next time the two sides meet. West Coburg were really good today and benefited from some tin goals. Either side could have been the winner and the losing side would have felt they could have won. The match was played in good spirit with only a couple of examples of poor player behavior.
Can someone tell me is it better to not grab the ball and wait to tackle these days or grab the ball and wait to be tackled?

Well done to West Coburg. Beating them twice is a great result. 12 point gap at the top of the ladder.

Surprised KP lost, but an excellent win by the Valley.

3 really good 1/4ers from Rupo today and 1 where they let Roxy back in the game. Braddy was excellent and won the ruck contest against Elliott. Galea with another bagful and playing a leading hand in leading the side was very good too. The back 6 got their house in order in the 2nd half and were seldom beaten again.

McRorie, Saad, and West were very good too.
Too good today. Thought Braddy had an absolute belter and got the better of the skip today. Roxy missing a few with no Naggs, H. Farrelly and McLarty amongst others but the discipline showed by rupo and their run was the difference. Every time the ball hit the ground in our forward line the rupo backs swooped and ran it out.Young Stewart went alright

Really tough day with the wind blowing across the ground. Not the way the wind usually blows at roxy but it was strange today. Looking like a battle between Roxy and Hillside for 5th. Big match up in a few weeks between the two. Hillside with St Albans and Deer Park in the last two rounds might hurt them.

How did you enjoy your day Auck? Ground was in ripping condition today but only a smallish crowd in the house.

Only issue I see for rupo is depth if they get injuries. Ressies yet to win a game and badly beaten today. Do you have much cover if you cop some injuries?

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow. So how much is Smart paid ?. Points mean nothing when both teams run out and you need to be a little better informed before you trap shoot. Deer Park did not have the captain in today due to illness. Hence, I think any team that has a captain missing would be better when they return to the side. Greenwood hasn't played in weeks and will be 4 x the player next time the two sides meet. West Coburg were really good today and benefited from some tin goals. Either side could have been the winner and the losing side would have felt they could have won. The match was played in good spirit with only a couple of examples of poor player behavior.
Can someone tell me is it better to not grab the ball and wait to tackle these days or grab the ball and wait to be tackled?
tough comp our 2nd div

Too good today. Thought Braddy had an absolute belter and got the better of the skip today.

I reckon around the ground Jack did have the better, but Jordy ensured we got a good supply of ball.

Roxy missing a few with no Naggs, H. Farrelly and McLarty amongst others but the discipline showed by rupo and their run was the difference.

A fair few 50s didn't help. Thought the 2nd 1/4 showed just what they're capable of, but the run was really good from our boys.
Every time the ball hit the ground in our forward line the rupo backs swooped and ran it out.Young Stewart went alright

2-0 as Captain. He'll be happy getting one over a few good mates. :)

Really tough day with the wind blowing across the ground. Not the way the wind usually blows at roxy but it was strange today.

We said the very same thing.

Looking like a battle between Roxy and Hillside for 5th. Big match up in a few weeks between the two. Hillside with St Albans and Deer Park in the last two rounds might hurt them.

Agree. Rupo v Hillside next week. Rupo have them in the last 2 weeks too. I'm hoping the boys can secure a finals spot before then as a trip back to NZ looms those last two weeks.

How did you enjoy your day Auck? Ground was in ripping condition today but only a smallish crowd in the house.

It was so bloody cold LoL, but we had a good time. Always a tough place to win.

Only issue I see for rupo is depth if they get injuries. Ressies yet to win a game and badly beaten today. Do you have much cover if you cop some injuries?

Depth is clearly an issue and there's no hiding from that. The club knows they've got work to do there and I'm sure they'll address it. Brock Landt is still to come back and I reckon there are still a few who can step up.

You think coaches would want players to grab ball and get stoppage though with umpires inconsistency could be paid as stoppage or holding ball..

Smart is a gun, he has kicked bags against top 5 sides this year, 7 against Hillside and 4 against St Albans. He is spending more time in midfield these days so will not get the opportunities to kick bags.
My view of game yesterday was that he had a few good moments in second half and kicked 2 goals on a quite day.

Levi Greenwood was exceptional when he was on ground. He will only improve for the next time the teams meet as he was managed yesterday and as was his first game back he was purposely playing only limited minutes on ground.

Game was a great contestant despite tricky conditions.
WC came out of the blocks and dominated initial 10 minutes and couldn't capitalize, DP made some minor changes to backline, settled and then game was even until the end.

It will be any one's game when these teams next meet and both will win games in Div 1 next year.

Not sure if WC are at fill strength , DP aren't, have 2 players travelling, Captain should be back soon, Dorgan will be back and points wont be issue as number 13 is 4 pointer and a Bullants player just getting game time after injury, do not expect he will stick around.

Was also at Roxy Rupo today
Hoping to see a potential finals preview but was completely wrong

Rupo were sensational and Roxy are too reliant on 1-2 players

Braddy battled hard thought he was better in Center bounces but Eliot was far more dominant around ground still

28 for Rupo had a great game as well as galea

Wipe Roxy out of the finals for mine they are no where near it
Roxy have had significant luck with a easier double up draw & HS/St.A losing 4 points.

I think they can still make it.

Depth is clearly an issue and there's no hiding from that. The club knows they've got work to do there and I'm sure they'll address it. Brock Landt is still to come back and I reckon there are still a few who can step up.
I should add:

Brent swallow
Brett Martin
Daniel Kavanagh
Jacob Coles
Jordan Tentonello
Logan Johnson

All to come back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez you’ve gotta have a laugh at the people who were saying before the season DP will win every game by 10+ goals, then WC beat them on their ground then it’s “oh wait till they don’t play on a small ground” then WC beat them on DP ground and before they beat them this week, it was “wait till finals time DP will flick the switch” DP are a shadow of them selves from the WRFL days. That showed in their last year there! Give WC some credit!!

Geez you’ve gotta have a laugh at the people who were saying before the season DP will win every game by 10+ goals, then WC beat them on their ground then it’s “oh wait till they don’t play on a small ground” then WC beat them on DP ground and before they beat them this week, it was “wait till finals time DP will flick the switch” DP are a shadow of them selves from the WRFL days. That showed in their last year there! Give WC some credit!!
Pressure will be on come finals time Bont, undefeated all year wouldn't want to stumble. Flags aren't won in July.

SWOOPINGTIME

Pressure will be on come finals time Bont, undefeated all year wouldn't want to stumble. Flags aren't won in July.

SWOOPINGTIME
Mate, DP could well still win the flag, I’m not saying that WC have it won. It’s more about the people saying DP would win every game by 10+ goals and changing their narrative after every DP loss.. I’m sure the granny would be a cracker if both teams were to make it

Mate, DP could well still win the flag, I’m not saying that WC have it won. It’s more about the people saying DP would win every game by 10+ goals and changing their narrative after every DP loss.. I’m sure the granny would be a cracker if both teams were to make it
You will find all the posts about DP winning with ease were non DP followers and were the scared folk from other clubs who have no idea of DP team ability.

DP have rebuilt a side almost most scratch since 2019 final and post Covid.

4 players from that 2019 team played yesterday so we know we are rebuilding.

They have done well to stay competitive and still a good chance to win flag as most teams whom rebuild go down a few divisions. Just look at Glenroy, Westy and Tully for teams whom are rebuilding and where are they on ladder.

You will find all the posts about DP winning with ease were non DP followers and were the scared folk from other clubs who have no idea of DP team ability.

They have done well to stay competitive and still a good chance to win flag as most teams whom rebuild go down a few divisions. Just look at Glenroy, Westy and Tully for teams whom are rebuilding and where are they on ladder.

Scotland is messing with the team... smart is not a midfielder has had 3 poor games in a row..and I wouldn't play the captain anymore as has had a very quiet year. They were full strength yesterday and again Scotland's coaching is loosing them the game...simple..leave the side settled..elton needs to be played at centre half foward and smart in the goal square.. this week could see St Albans beat deer park and wooowee that would be the end of deer park...West coburg kicked straight and bye bye deer park early...getting a levi does nothing..how many more excuses do we have for DP now?

"They have done well to stay competitive" this is such a contrast from the start of the season comments, where has the confidence gone??

SWOOPINGTIME

I agree Swoopingtime Premierships are not won in July, but confidence against a team can be built!!!

You have got to be taking the pi55 ? “Restocking” with different mercenaries rather than rebuilding. Reckon Glenroy, Tulla and Westy would all be wrapped with splitting Deer Parks budget between them, not to mention Scotlands $50k.

I would say all the pressure is on Deer Park come finals time, with that list and recent history they wouldn’t want to be spending more than one season in Div.1.
They have a great list, guns on every line, but so do West Coburg and they have a better coach and tight group that’s been building for 4 seasons.

A smart club would be staying quiet and letting WC go on their merry way, DP have lost 3 games and fell in against MV. Talk of a GF is premature just yet, St.Albans and Rupo both capable on their day.

Hillside have a far harder draw to come than roxy. They are the only team that can drop out for mine. Roxy v Hillside at Mantello Oval will be a massive game

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rupo and HS have the hardest draw as they play both SA and DP twice but WM, Tulla and Glenroy once due to the inequities of the draw.
DP and SA play WM, Tulla and Glenroy twice (as well as WC).
All Based last years ladder finish.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You have got to be taking the pi55 ? “Restocking” with different mercenaries rather than rebuilding. Reckon Glenroy, Tulla and Westy would all be wrapped with splitting Deer Parks budget between them, not to mention Scotlands $50k.

I would say all the pressure is on Deer Park come finals time, with that list and recent history they wouldn’t want to be spending more than one season in Div.1.
They have a great list, guns on every line, but so do West Coburg and they have a better coach and tight group that’s been building for 4 seasons.

A smart club would be staying quiet and letting WC go on their merry way, DP have lost 3 games and fell in against MV. Talk of a GF is premature just yet, St.Albans and Rupo both capable on their day.
You have no concept of reality , DP is in an area that will never have enough kids to build a side from within, to survive they have to recruit.

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back