EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they are ok…you could add SA into that mix, Courted heavily…. Ultimately his first senior coach was always going to trump anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree Hillside looked really slick last week, but he would have been the icing on the cake for them or St.Albans with his 2 mates Coletta and Volpato.

He’s exactly the finishing touch Hillside need for sure.
Not sure he was keen to return to either Hillside or East Keilor. If St Albans were a chance they possibly had little left in the budget. Wanted a change but didn’t expect him to land at Taylor’s Lakes.

What is the update on the Cavka situation? Any closer to him being cleared to HS?
Guys let it go he is playing at Taylors lakes haha
Cavka ain’t going anywhere, Mick has made the call. Unfortunately he will need to sit out for 12 months, signed a 2 year contract and Keilor released him from the last time he did that. Think it’s pretty reasonable for Keilor to hold him.

Not sure what we need to let go ? Just discussing footy on a footy forum!

Hillside still 4th best in this comp. Behind WC,Marby & STA.

No teams winning this comp when your best juniors are playing for other teams.

Rayner, Colletta, Volpato, Ryan.

Really poor that they haven’t been able to bring them back when they’re ’supposedly having a crack’ at winning it.

Really poor that they haven’t been able to bring them back when they’re ’supposedly having a crack’ at winning it.
How does someone supposedly have a crack ?

Hillside had 17 one pointers in their semi final win over St Albans. I get they can be a tough club to like, but weird whack!

“Still the 4th best team” how do you come to such a frank prediction with only 2 fixtures being played ? Finish 4th last season, Deer Park gone, Rupo on life support and Marby has to be up in the air a bit. Think I’ll reserve judgement until I see them on Saturday but they finished below 2 ordinary Premier teams last season and Div.1 won’t be a walk in the park.

West Coburg must be firm favs, didn’t lose a game last season. The other 3 likely round out top 4, Hillside 2nd IMO.
5th position could be the intriguing one …

Tulla - $170-180k you would want to be finals. Lifeless home base won’t help, “Kmart Pat Chris” won’t help, age demographic won’t help. Too much talent not to finish top 5 despite that.

Craigieburn = can they continue to build on last season, they play for the coach and Carlisle gives them a big X factor.

Moonee Valley = potentially under the radar, some nice recruits and a coach that’s at least the equal of anyone in this comp. Would be great to see them in the mix late.

Might be a bit of tail too Roxy, KP, Oak Park & Rupo.

Last edited:

Hillside had 17 one pointers in their semi final win over St Albans. I get they can be a tough club to like, but weird whack!

“Still the 4th best team” how do you come to such a frank prediction with only 2 fixtures being played ? Finish 4th last season, Deer Park gone, Rupo on life support and Marby has to be up in the air a bit. Think I’ll reserve judgement until I see them on Saturday but they finished below 2 ordinary Premier teams last season and Div.1 won’t be a walk in the park.

West Coburg must be firm favs, didn’t lose a game last season. The other 3 likely round out top 4, Hillside 2nd IMO.

Tulla - $170-180k you would want to be finals. Lifeless home base won’t help, “Kmart Pat Chris” won’t help, age demographic won’t help. Too much talent not to finish top 5 despite that.

Craigieburn = can they continue to build on last season, they play for the coach and Carlisle gives them a big X factor.

Moonee Valley = potentially under the radar, some nice recruits and an a coach that’s at least the equal of anyone in this comp. Would be great to see them in the mix late.

Well you don’t bring in Castello and Caruso x 2 if your not trying to challenge right now..

Acknowledge the one pointers they do have. But I’m saying the 4 I mentioned are there absolute A graders and only one is playing a higher level.

I just dont see how they win it or challenge the top 3 without any of there own A graders. You’re right this will be a tight comp and what sets you apart is the quality of your own.

I’d go as far as saying if those 4
Rayner Coletta Volpato & Ryan were playing for hillside they’d be favourites.

My predictions are based on the list from last year and the signings. You’ve got them 2nd that’s fine nothing wrong with that.

Also mentioning what tulla are spending…. You think Hillside aren’t spending close to that ?
Castello, Caruso x 2 aren’t playing for free. Neither is Prestia and Whynham.

I don’t really care what teams are spending it’s upto them.

Come the end of the season hillside will be closer to the 4-6 mark than 1-3 mark.

Marby - plowman & Romensky huge get
WC - undefeated last year + Saad.
ST Albans - Coletta will be the best tall
Hillside - as mentioned
Tullamarine - Could be higher if it clicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you don’t bring in Castello and Caruso x 2 if your not trying to challenge right now..

Acknowledge the one pointers they do have. But I’m saying the 4 I mentioned are there absolute A graders and only one is playing a higher level.

I just dont see how they win it or challenge the top 3 without any of there own A graders. You’re right this will be a tight comp and what sets you apart is the quality of your own.

My predictions are based on the list from last year and the signings. You’ve got them 2nd that’s fine nothing wrong with that.

Also mentioning what tulla are spending…. You think Hillside aren’t spending close to that ?

Come the end of the season hillside will be closer to the 4-6 mark than 1-3 mark.

Hillside - as mentioned
Can add Heatherington to the Marby recruits, he has other two covered trust me, jet! lots of holes, not much depth. Time will tell I suppose. I’ll have a pie & coke with ya Hillside play off or prelim at worst (top 3).

Take it to the bank Tulla paying ALOT more than Hillside, who got both Caruso’s for less than what Sikora got alone 👀
Would Castello still command a premium price ?

We won’t have to wait long til find out either way, and will put my hand up if wrong

Can add Heatherington to the Marby recruits, he has other two covered trust me, jet! lots of holes, not much depth. Time will tell I suppose. I’ll have a pie & coke with ya Hillside play off or prelim at worst (top 3).

Take it to the bank Tulla paying ALOT more than Hillside, who got both Caruso’s for less than what Sikora got alone 👀
Would Castello still command a premium price ?

We won’t have to wait long til find out either way, and will put my hand up if wrong
Forgot about hetherington. Very good player.
Sounds good to me mate. We’re all itching for it to get underway now.
I’ve got them winning an elimination final at best.

Moonee Valley = potentially under the radar, some nice recruits and a coach that’s at least the equal of anyone in this comp. Would be great to see them in the mix late.

Tulla 170k-180k laughable.
They have had no rooms for a year and half and most likely this year.
You’re 2 days late for April fools jokes.
You have zero idea

Volpato wouldn’t get a game at HS this season based on his 2022 output.

I think they finish 3rd or 4th. However I think they will be more competitive against WC/Marby than last season top teams.

Hillside - as mentioned

If…..but, they aren’t…. If Rupo had not lost their players from 2023 they wouldn’t be joint favourite for relegation……
KP the same…

Changes occur year on year….. that’s football but Rayner and Coletta haven’t played at HS since 2019.

Ryan went to play a higher grade
Volpato …. Not sure how HS feel about him

The point is…… if this and if that isn’t the reality….

Well done to TL for recruiting Rayner…looking forward to watching him train with my boy!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Please explain how you can put SA higher than HS based on what. HS beat them in the finals last season with Covelli on one leg. If you’re being unbiased mate HS clearly top 3.
SA lost Taban and got Coletta. Coletta way better but it’s a like for like position wise.

HS only downfall could be they lack a quality key defender. But they recruited smartly. Also got a good one from Pacco.

The players you mentioned that left HS a few years ago, left partly due to big offers that couldn’t be ( and shouldn’t be) matched.

Please explain how you can put SA higher than HS based on what. HS beat them in the finals last season with Covelli on one leg. If you’re being unbiased mate HS clearly top 3.
SA lost Taban and got Coletta. Coletta way better but it’s a like for like position wise.

HS only downfall could be they lack a quality key defender. But they recruited smartly. Also got a good one from Pacco.

The players you mentioned that left HS a few years ago, left partly due to big offers that couldn’t be ( and shouldn’t be) matched.
HS downfall mate is their discipline and willingness to really crack in when it get's hard. They've been found out time and time again.... They are a big enough club therefore have "potential" to be a strong EDFL Club and hold their own in Premier(if they ever get there) but until they lose the "pretenders" tag can't take them seriously. Gotta earn respect , buying a few old washed up A Grade champs and a "good one" "from Pacco who wouldn't know how to be a team mate or clubman(Pacco happy to see the back of him like the last 3 clubs he left) doesn't cut it...

HS downfall mate is their discipline and willingness to really crack in when it get's hard. They've been found out time and time again.... They are a big enough club therefore have "potential" to be a strong EDFL Club and hold their own in Premier(if they ever get there) but until they lose the "pretenders" tag can't take them seriously. Gotta earn respect , buying a few old washed up A Grade champs and a "good one" "from Pacco who wouldn't know how to be a team mate or clubman(Pacco happy to see the back of him like the last 3 clubs he left) doesn't cut it...
I tend to agree with part of your first statement and the outside views, however do you see them below SA? That was more my response.
Not sure if the Caruso bro’s are washed up and these type of guys along with Castello bring a lot of professionalism to a young group and can greatly assist a relatively inexperienced senior coach. Think it was a good move!

I tend to agree with part of your first statement and the outside views, however do you see them below SA? That was more my response.
Not sure if the Caruso bro’s are washed up and these type of guys along with Castello bring a lot of professionalism to a young group and can greatly assist a relatively inexperienced senior coach. Think it was a good move!
There can’t be that much between the two teams at this stage to ask him to explain his predictions, cmon Turbo 😂

Hillside got to the finals in better knick than St.Albans did, with a bit of Covelli X factor on one leg. Couldn’t possibly dismiss St.A as a genuine challenger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back