EDFL Div 2 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Westy by 4 in seniors
Kangaroos by 13 in ressies
Haddy by 66 in 18s

Having a look at the 18s results for Haddy, how the hell were in division 2? They dished out weeks and weeks of beltings even to teams placed just under them. Easily would've made for a decent division 1 side. What a let down for the other young blokes thanks to the EDFL circus.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I guess it’s the clubs call mate, as they have the right to play in the same division as their senior side.
However I’m totally against a teams A side playing against another sides B team so I think they should have a div3 18.5 purely for clubs with B teams. I’ve seen to much crap in my time where bigger A team kids intimidate the younger kids from a B team..They won’t do it against kids the same size as they hit back but often try and bully the younger kids especially when you might have 18 year olds up against 16 year olds. I’ve never liked it and don’t get me started on these total drop kicks that are called coaches, runners, assistants etc. And they say that didn’t happen, or we didn’t see it, or that kid wouldn’t do that, or worse try and start fights when approached about this behaviour..
If that means a 3 or 4 team div2 then so be it. If you don’t like it get better or request to play div1 18.5. Oh that might mean bigger kids we have to play against.. Just saying..

I’m also sure a few years back Keilor Park lost points during the season due to being unfinancial so if this is true where is the fairness to treat each club the same..
There’s a difference between owing money and refusing to repay it or acknowledge the debt and working with a creditor via an agreed and approved financial arrangement in order to remain viable. As long as things are tracking according to the agreed plan what’s the problem. Clubs are treated based on the ownership of their issues
I’m also sure a few years back Keilor Park lost points during the season due to being unfinancial so if this is true where is the fairness to treat each club the same..

I guess it’s the clubs call mate, as they have the right to play in the same division as their senior side.
However I’m totally against a teams A side playing against another sides B team so I think they should have a div3 18.5 purely for clubs with B teams. I’ve seen to much crap in my time where bigger A team kids intimidate the younger kids from a B team..They won’t do it against kids the same size as they hit back but often try and bully the younger kids especially when you might have 18 year olds up against 16 year olds. I’ve never liked it and don’t get me started on these total drop kicks that are called coaches, runners, assistants etc. And they say that didn’t happen, or we didn’t see it, or that kid wouldn’t do that, or worse try and start fights when approached about this behaviour..
If that means a 3 or 4 team div2 then so be it. If you don’t like it get better or request to play div1 18.5. Oh that might mean bigger kids we have to play against.. Just saying..
Think Haddy with request for their 18s to play div 1 next year. Got a good group of 16s coming through too. Expect a few of their 18s boys to play seniors next year.

All well good to bang in about this but look at the Div 2 Under 18 comp and it is Keilor, Abers and Strathmore who are doing this to the other teams.

Then generalise your statement. There would be 10-15 clubs on some kind of finance arrangement, including Premier Division clubs paying a lot more to be competitive than the 2 clubs you chose to highlight.

The EDFL are trying to keep as many clubs viable and kids playing community sport as possible while dealing with the toughest economic conditions most of us have ever seen…

Club volunteers and the EDFL are working together to make this happen. Good on both of them. Good luck to all teams still playing
Sorry blue but your incorrect . Their certainly isnt 10-15 clubs on payback schemes . Its a huge credit to 95% of the clubs who are up to date and thats why its terrible that 2 clubs are being favoured .
Agree with all your other points , tough times, volunteer dropoff , lack of kids , agree on all, but thats no reason to favour anyone unless extraordinary circumstances arise .
Maybe someone over St Albans got the jackpot 4 times on the Homer Simpson poker machine

Sorry blue but your incorrect . Their certainly isnt 10-15 clubs on payback schemes . Its a huge credit to 95% of the clubs who are up to date and thats why its terrible that 2 clubs are being favoured .
Agree with all your other points , tough times, volunteer dropoff , lack of kids , agree on all, but thats no reason to favour anyone unless extraordinary circumstances arise .
Maybe someone over St Albans got the jackpot 4 times on the Homer Simpson poker machine
Highly doubt 2 clubs are responsible for over half a million dollars of outstanding payments. So the gap between what is owed vs the clubs you’ve chosen to mention is considerable.

My point is that this is local, community sport we’re talking about, run by members of the local communities who donate their time for free to enable our kids, men and women to participate in a sport we all love and take for granted.

In my opinion the EDFL as administrators of local sport have done a fantastic job of keeping as many clubs competing as they possibly can. Are they perfect? No. Are they doing what they think is in the best interest of local communities. I think they’re doing all they can.

Maintain your view. I’m not trying to change it. But don’t pot clubs trying their best to maintain a strong local and competitive sporting environment. Or continue to do so, but know that some of us will rebutt your narrow minded simplistic approach to a larger community issue.

Westy by 4 in seniors
Kangaroos by 13 in ressies
Haddy by 66 in 18s

Having a look at the 18s results for Haddy, how the hell were in division 2? They dished out weeks and weeks of beltings even to teams placed just under them. Easily would've made for a decent division 1 side. What a let down for the other young blokes thanks to the EDFL circus.

Hadfield were heavily looked after with the fixturing, which I understand. Only played the other three finalists once. The other three finalists all played each other three times, on some occasions in consecutive weeks before they had even played Hadfield. They are in the right division, might not have finished as clear on top with the % they have had the fixture been slightly more even.
Should be a close Grand Final.

Hadfield were heavily looked after with the fixturing, which I understand. Only played the other three finalists once. The other three finalists all played each other three times, on some occasions in consecutive weeks before they had even played Hadfield. They are in the right division, might not have finished as clear on top with the % they have had the fixture been slightly more even.
Should be a close Grand Final.
All the Div 2 teams only play Keilor, Abers, Strathmore and Marby once. This allows the Div 2 teams to be with their seniors as much as possible (home and away). Apart from Marby they should all be in Div 1

Glenroy now advertising for a new coach.
Also a soft spot for Westie, hoping they get up, but don’t see them being strong enough for Div 1. I think Lakes will be stronger on the day and in Div 1.
didnt someone mention jake carlisle as a chance to coach glenroy.

Hearing East Sunbury have applied to go WRFL Div 2 and were knocked back. They’ve also applied for RDFNL and as I heard, have a decent offer to go across. That can’t be good for the senior team? Hopefully they can recruit far better and get some quality in. I know a few players of high regard there may be on the way out

Hearing East Sunbury have applied to go WRFL Div 2 and were knocked back. They’ve also applied for RDFNL and as I heard, have a decent offer to go across. That can’t be good for the senior team? Hopefully they can recruit far better and get some quality in. I know a few players of high regard there may be on the way out
My mail is they have applied for RDFL on a number of occasions and get knocked back. The RDFL do not want them but would be happy to get one of the other Sunbury clubs who are stronger. I think they will go WRFL div2. Can’t see them saying no.. RDFL is rated as premier league from 2025 also.

My mail is they have applied for RDFL on a number of occasions and get knocked back. The RDFL do not want them but would be happy to get one of the other Sunbury clubs who are stronger. I think they will go WRFL div2. Can’t see them saying no.. RDFL is rated as premier league from 2025 also.

My understanding is the WRFL have also declined their application Turbo

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turbo the RDFL are only interested in Rupo or the Kangaroos. And it's more likely the Kangaroos as the juniors are still in the RDJFNL and they still have some form of netball. Rupo has no netball and the entire club is EDFL.

There is some really great people at East and I hope the best for them. Personally I think WFNL would be a good move for them (we are in the west after all) and it's also another point of difference between the clubs.

3 teams from the same area in the same division is just recipe for disaster in my opinion. The players in the area deserve more options that are local. Unless you want to try your luck with the lions in the BFNL or Diggers / Riddell you're stuck playing div 2 EDFL and I find it's not attractive for the clubs at all.

Last edited:
Turbo the RDFL are only interested in Rupo or the Kangaroos. And it's more likely the Kangaroos as the juniors are still in the RDJFNL and they still have some form of netball. Rupo has no netball and the entire club is EDFL.

There is some really great people at East and I hope the best for them. Personally I think WFNL would be a good move for them (we are in the west after all) and it's also another point of difference between the clubs.

3 teams from the same area in the same division is just recipe for disaster in my opinion. The players in the area deserve more options that are local. Unless you want to try your luck with the lions in the BFNL or Diggers / Riddell you're stuck playing div 2 EDFL and I find it's not attractive for the clubs at all.
Yes mate I believe the Riddell would definitely entertain the Kangaroos ( as they were in Riddell) as well as Sunbury Lions. Yes Sunbury are going well in BFNL but with salary cap’s and everything else I’m sure they might discuss options at some point. I reckon it’s who jumps first but Riddell would prefer Lions but thinking Kangaroos should try and get in but I guess it depends on the where they are positioned player wise and financially as the Riddell league has improved over last few years.

Where do you 3 teams in Sunbury fit in EDFL Div 2?

Kangaroos missed out on finals and have rumours around coaches/personnel changes

Rupo just been relegated but seem to have re-signed most from that relegated side

East Sunbury the worst of them clearly - what do they need to do in order to be more competitive in Div 2?

Yes mate I believe the Riddell would definitely entertain the Kangaroos ( as they were in Riddell) as well as Sunbury Lions. Yes Sunbury are going well in BFNL but with salary cap’s and everything else I’m sure they might discuss options at some point. I reckon it’s who jumps first but Riddell would prefer Lions but thinking Kangaroos should try and get in but I guess it depends on the where they are positioned player wise and financially as the Riddell league has improved over last few years.
Yes RDFL would prefer the Lions but they'd dominate the comp for ever. I can't see them moving BFNL and if it was I have a feeling it would be for EDFL div 1 for a chance to jump up to premier. But with RDFL being promoted to a premier comp who knows mate. I just hope East can get going, I really do. But if there is talk of some of their better players leaving it doesn't sound too good and I hope it doesn't lead the down the same 2022 path.

Where do you 3 teams in Sunbury fit in EDFL Div 2?

Kangaroos missed out on finals and have rumours around coaches/personnel changes

Rupo just been relegated but seem to have re-signed most from that relegated side

East Sunbury the worst of them clearly - what do they need to do in order to be more competitive in Div 2?
Where do the 3 sunbury teams fit? They don't mate. No disrespect to division 2 and it's teams but they only way for the Sunbury sides to be worthy in the EDFL they need to be in div 1. Div 2 is hard enough to recruit players let alone getting them to Sunbury. And it seems Kangas and East have found that out, rupo most likely to follow. This can be avoided however but big money will have to be paid.

Where do the 3 sunbury teams fit? They don't mate. No disrespect to division 2 and it's teams but they only way for the Sunbury sides to be worthy in the EDFL they need to be in div 1. Div 2 is hard enough to recruit players let alone getting them to Sunbury. And it seems Kangas and East have found that out, rupo most likely to follow. This can be avoided however but big money will have to be paid.

Bit like WRFL div2 why would any decent player want to play against some of these teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 2 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back