EDFL Div 2 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing East Sunbury have applied to go WRFL Div 2 and were knocked back. They’ve also applied for RDFNL and as I heard, have a decent offer to go across. That can’t be good for the senior team? Hopefully they can recruit far better and get some quality in. I know a few players of high regard there may be on the way out

Yes RDFL would prefer the Lions but they'd dominate the comp for ever. I can't see them moving BFNL and if it was I have a feeling it would be for EDFL div 1 for a chance to jump up to premier. But with RDFL being promoted to a premier comp who knows mate. I just hope East can get going, I really do. But if there is talk of some of their better players leaving it doesn't sound too good and I hope it doesn't lead the down the same 2022 path.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
my mail is that most of east Sunburys current list is or has re signed

Sounds like they’ll just have to find some quality recruits now. Hopefully they can get a W next year.

Charlie Denaro - SACKED. Damien Cavka to take over I’m hearing…there goes Covelli to Coburg Districts which was a done deal based on Denaro coaching.

That’s a risk - he has never even been an assistant coach? He can definitely play and has AFL experience so it might work out…

Reckon the outgoing coach is pretty stiff

Highly doubt 2 clubs are responsible for over half a million dollars of outstanding payments. So the gap between what is owed vs the clubs you’ve chosen to mention is considerable.

My point is that this is local, community sport we’re talking about, run by members of the local communities who donate their time for free to enable our kids, men and women to participate in a sport we all love and take for granted.

In my opinion the EDFL as administrators of local sport have done a fantastic job of keeping as many clubs competing as they possibly can. Are they perfect? No. Are they doing what they think is in the best interest of local communities. I think they’re doing all they can.

Maintain your view. I’m not trying to change it. But don’t pot clubs trying their best to maintain a strong local and competitive sporting environment. Or continue to do so, but know that some of us will rebutt your narrow minded simplistic approach to a larger community issue.
I will finish this conversation with this , your the only person that has mentioned any figures , if half a million dollars is owed and your telling us the board are doing a good job then your obviously one of the board members( and i know your not as you can spell ) as not one person on here would suggest that being owed half a million was running your business well , especially when their are by laws that make administrating outside the rules illegal .
Narrow minded , simplistic ??? maybe , These rules are made so everyone has a level playing field , is that narrow minded ??? its certainly simplistic .

Last edited:
No I will not be popping up at another club turbo. Can confirm I was given the ass tonight by cdfc. Can honestly say I gave it a crack but shit happens in football I guess
Not great news for you mate, especially after one year in the role. Unfortunately that’s the uncertainty of coaching unless you have a multi year contract which would require some sort of pay out which majority of div1 / 2 clubs could not afford. We are all critics at times but coaching is only a role for those who have have passion & time. Especially div2 it’s a huge role for what I guess would be low $$$.
Was told by a player once “why would I coach when I can get 30k plus a sign on just to play. To Capt/coach it would have to be 70k plus..Otherwise not worth the headache”

I guess now it will see where Districts sit. If Cavka goes well it will be looked at as a success but if they don’t make finals in 2025 ( remember KP and Rupo now in div2) then the clubs respect and reputation will be at stake as who would want to coach them. It’s probably a good starting ground for Cavka though and I’m sure he was approached not the other way around..

All the best in whenever you go!

Last edited:
I will finish this conversation with this , your the only person that has mentioned any figures , if half a million dollars is owed and your telling us the board are doing a good job then your obviously one of the board members as not one person on here would suggest that being owed half a million was running your business well , especially when their are by laws that make administrating outside the rules illegal .
Narrow minded , simplistic ??? maybe , These rules are made so everyone has a level playing field , is that narrow minded ??? its certainly simplistic .
Find another pond to fish in my friend. This one isn’t biting anymore. Anyone who has attended an EDFL AGM or knows someone who does knows what I know. There are no secrets. Based on what you’ve said you know as much as I do but chose to use it negatively and got shut down. Let the clubs that are still in it enjoy the hard work of getting where they’ve got. Let them deal with the challenges they have and hope things turn around.

Good luck to all the teams competing this weekend. I hope all the players stay safe. Good on the EDFL for keeping the clubs and competition alive.

P.S You don’t to choose when the conversation ends.

Last edited:
Not great news for you mate, especially after one year in the role. Unfortunately that’s the uncertainty of coaching unless you have a multi year contract which would require some sort of pay out which majority of div1 / 2 clubs could not afford. We are all critics at times but coaching is only a role for those who have have passion & time. Especially div2 it’s a huge role for what I guess would be low $$$.
Was told by a player once “why would I coach when I can get 30k plus a sign on just to play. To Capt/coach it would have to be 70k plus..Otherwise not worth the headache”

I guess now it will see where Districts sit. If Cavka goes well it will be looked at as a success but if they don’t make finals in 2025 ( remember KP and Rupo now in div2) then the clubs respect and reputation will be at stake as who would want to coach them. It’s probably a good starting ground for Cavka though and I’m sure he was approached not the other way around..

All the best in whenever you go!
Too kind turbo
It’s a tough comp and some div 2 clubs just don’t realise the gap to div 1, but I think CAV will do a very good job.
Westy got slammed early days but look at them the now. Ash and the boys play a div 1 brand of footy and no one can get near them.
Having said that, TL are brutal and I reckon Burnsy has them ready to kill. Wilbe a great GF

Too kind turbo
It’s a tough comp and some div 2 clubs just don’t realise the gap to div 1, but I think CAV will do a very good job.
Westy got slammed early days but look at them the now. Ash and the boys play a div 1 brand of footy and no one can get near them.
Having said that, TL are brutal and I reckon Burnsy has them ready to kill. Wilbe a great GF
Good on you mate. You definitely weren't the only one under the pump in this comp. Shaggs at the kangas copping it too at the moment & same with Trav from East Sun & Youngy from the Roy's as well.

Last edited:
Too kind turbo
Port Adelaide looking for a new coach 😄😄

Good on you mate. You definitely weren't the only one under the pump in this comp. Shaggs at the kangas copping it too at the moment & same with Trav from East Sun & Youngy from the Roy's as well.

Agreed! I think a large part of these clubs issues, stem from the top! CD Glenroy and Kangaroos have presidents while being top blokes and do great jobs, they are too old school and won’t move with the times, they don’t accept visions/advise/help from outside their own views. Hearing of a number of players leaving all 3 clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good luck to westy if they win could it be one year too early both finically and player wise as another good year in div 2 helps both sides of the ledger .its never good to go up then come straight back down
Fair point. I heard a few old heads are going back to Westmeadows? Wonder who, has anyone heard? I think both sides can beat a few in Div 1. Not expecting MV, Tulla, Roxy to be out of reach. Oak Park, Cburn will improve you’d think and then the top 4 of St Albans, WC, Avondale and Hillside will be too strong. Looks like Westy has good kids coming through, so that has to put the club in a stronger position for future. Not sure on Lakes.
I think Lakes will be too strong tomorrow across every line. No blowouts

Good luck to all the Tailors Lake and Westmeadows players and all the coaches and staff. It's been a great year, and hopefully, a thrilling GF. To all that have contributed to this big footy thread, it's been really good reading and mostly good conversation. Enjoy the weekend, everyone.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed! I think a large part of these clubs issues, stem from the top! CD Glenroy and Kangaroos have presidents while being top blokes and do great jobs, they are too old school and won’t move with the times, they don’t accept visions/advise/help from outside their own views. Hearing of a number of players leaving all 3 clubs.
Don’t know the Kangaroos President. CD President definitely been there to long, overpaid big $$$ on mediocre players for no reward. However I beg to differ on the Glenroy President. A strong leader who understands community football.

Long time follower, first time commenter. No disrespect to westy but think another year in div 2 might be the best thing for them. I don’t think they are ready as a club. It’s been too easy for new committee to come into division two and see some wins in the men’s. What changes have been made?

Well done Northern. Much better around the ball and plenty of run run run. Definitely deserved the win today. Good banter in the crowd too. Disappointed for my mob but that's footy. Looking forward to next year.

No live scoring for the big game it seems?

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 2 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back