EDFL Premier Division 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want to see good players sitting out of footy. Maybe club should look at their contracts better to avoid this happening.

Perhaps there needs to be a judgement made by Football Victoria as we've seen time and again that contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on. With the possible introduction of a new system perhaps they'll look at introducing something to reduce the occurrence of situations such as this.
Both Pacco players took heavy signons $5K!!!! So why wouldn't PV expect to recoup club $$?? Responsible administration if you ask me.
Williams shopped himself around after being given a lifeline at Keilor - let him sit out of footy or pay the money back!! Simple!!
Fair enough that they'd want the money paid in good faith returned but why should the other club pay it? Surely it should come from the pocket of the player jumping ship.

10k!!! Ridiculous! Won't clear them without getting some sort of cash out of Greenvale. Clearly something not right down there with all home grown players walking out last year + 20 others.
Something not right !!!
Guys on contracts who rely on $$$ told they are playing for jumper alone round 18 2013
Great idea that one !!!
No wonder they all took off

No player in div 2 would get near a game in most premier teams?
The guns in div 1 wouldn't get a game for top premier league clubs except for some notable exceptions.
Why then would top premier league clubs try to lure lower league players when they are recruiting players of the calibre of Nayna, Grima, Galea etc?
Greenvale wouldn't have tried to 'lure' Williams or Leech, it's obvious they want out and no doubt contacted them.
Does Mick Tanner ring a bell , div 2 now premier and rightly so, agree might be few and far between but a few guys can really go
Hammoud from M.V.could play anywhere
Tommy lucin back from premier just going
Probably a comp where the talent is in the younger guys no ones heard of

bizzare comment given a couple of days ago u were on here making up fanciful things about McPhee.

Fair point but I did say "I'd heard"

So you're denying Rocky was on $25K and McPhee didn't settle for less than $40K?

I had heard it from at least three pretty reliable sources in the pre season and although it contradicts my position it's not hard to believe.

Perhaps there needs to be a judgement made by Football Victoria as we've seen time and again that contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on. With the possible introduction of a new system perhaps they'll look at introducing something to reduce the occurrence of situations such as this.

Fair enough that they'd want the money paid in good faith returned but why should the other club pay it? Surely it should come from the pocket of the player jumping ship.

"Not worth the paper they are written on" you claim
I totally disagree with your comment. If clubs use the CORRECT contract they are 100% watertight as I have defended the contract at AFL Victoria level on a number of occasions and the feeling is by AFL Victoria that if all contract items are in order then the contract will stand as written. AFL Vic basickly say go away and sort it out between yourselves as they dont want a retun to the silly system of constant appeals we had prior to contract system. The main criteria for the contract inclusion is the player is over 18 years old when signing and signed copies have been disctrubitued to both parties. Their is also basic contract criteria (Payments, Deductions, Roles & Resposabilitys ETC) that must be filled in on a approved contract pro forma.
A player tried to claim as a defence that he had to move to country vic for his job. AFL Vic may consider exemptions however if AFL Vic grant an exemption due to relocation reasons they stamp the transfur that a 2nd tansfur can not be granted during the original contract period. This stops the player from nominating a distant club to have his contract broken then cleared back to the some other club he wanted to go to in the first place. The system works well the only draw back is that until the clearance goes through and the player appears on the league data base the contract means nothing. Contact & Clearance means you are locked into what you signed up for nothin more or nothing less. This is far the fairest system to both Club & Player and lets be honest in the comercial age we live in we all must show buyer beware and do due dillegence when we sign for a job, car or a house signiture means approved and agreed to. Take the cash take the baggage that goes with it!!!!!
Perhaps the player should return the sign on then perhaps P/Vale may release the contract?

100% Good comment Bleading hart with a pocket full of $ do not hold much creadibility with me ! (Needs to be a 2 way steet not 1 way)

It appears the sign on in question must've been paid coz the Williams clearance to Diggers has been approved

I think clubs should all adopt a "No sign on philosophy". (We pay you as you play) only.
That way if a player is unhappy they can leave.... simple

The sign on is a throw back to the 1980's. Get rid of it. 100%

Correct me if I'm wrong but do clubs pay sign on's annually, even to blokes already registered to them?

Absolutely spot on Retired57, the amount of people that say contracts are worthless when in reality they are the only mechanism a club has to ensure a player can't just walk out. The reason these situations tend not to go on forever is because a "civil" arrangment is worked out between the two clubs and said contract disappears. Or the player simply moves to a non-rival club and is allowed to go for good of all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are Diggers going to be clearing him to Greenvale?

I've got no idea, don't know the player or anyone really at Diggers. I'm just a tad bored so thought I'd throw up the old "what if" scenario ...

He has come a long since getting a preseason gig with Collingwood to Pacco to Diggers!!! Sad when you can only see $$$$.

I think this quote is ill informed and harsh. I don't no Williams but there could be any number of reasons he left and always two sides to a story! He may not be getting payed and relies on that money to feed his family, home loan, debt ect. He may have mates at diggers or family who are there and they are a great club. To pretty much call him a mercenary is rough. Unless if you were involved in his story at paco personally I'd stay well clear of it and wish the bloke all the best.

I think this quote is ill informed and harsh. I don't no Williams but there could be any number of reasons he left and always two sides to a story! He may not be getting payed and relies on that money to feed his family, home loan, debt ect. He may have mates at diggers or family who are there and they are a great club. To pretty much call him a mercenary is rough. Unless if you were involved in his story at paco personally I'd stay well clear of it and wish the bloke all the best.

Sort of get what you are trying to say but the fact that he tried to get cleared to greenvale before diggers rest does raise some eyebrows

"Not worth the paper they are written on" you claim
I totally disagree with your comment. If clubs use the CORRECT contract they are 100% watertight as I have defended the contract at AFL Victoria level on a number of occasions and the feeling is by AFL Victoria that if all contract items are in order then the contract will stand as written. AFL Vic basickly say go away and sort it out between yourselves as they dont want a retun to the silly system of constant appeals we had prior to contract system. The main criteria for the contract inclusion is the player is over 18 years old when signing and signed copies have been disctrubitued to both parties. Their is also basic contract criteria (Payments, Deductions, Roles & Resposabilitys ETC) that must be filled in on a approved contract pro forma.
A player tried to claim as a defence that he had to move to country vic for his job. AFL Vic may consider exemptions however if AFL Vic grant an exemption due to relocation reasons they stamp the transfur that a 2nd tansfur can not be granted during the original contract period. This stops the player from nominating a distant club to have his contract broken then cleared back to the some other club he wanted to go to in the first place. The system works well the only draw back is that until the clearance goes through and the player appears on the league data base the contract means nothing. Contact & Clearance means you are locked into what you signed up for nothin more or nothing less. This is far the fairest system to both Club & Player and lets be honest in the comercial age we live in we all must show buyer beware and do due dillegence when we sign for a job, car or a house signiture means approved and agreed to. Take the cash take the baggage that goes with it!!!!!
Perhaps the player should return the sign on then perhaps P/Vale may release the contract?

Absolutely spot on Retired57, the amount of people that say contracts are worthless when in reality they are the only mechanism a club has to ensure a player can't just walk out. The reason these situations tend not to go on forever is because a "civil" arrangment is worked out between the two clubs and said contract disappears. Or the player simply moves to a non-rival club and is allowed to go for good of all.
Cheers for that fellas, I was just thinking that instances such as this seem to arise all too often (across any number of leagues) and surely there's a way to make it easier on both parties.

Abers smashed APW today by about 13 goals. Lance Oswald is an absolute gun. Sets up a big match next week when Keilor host Abers.

What's going on down at Section road? I know Greenvale have been hard hit by injury, but 1 win from 5 matches. There are still heaps of good players taking the field for them. That's by far their worst position since coming into the top division in 2003.

Hmmm results hey?
Does the Douttas coach keep his job untill the end of the season? What happens if the determined Saints roll them? Hmmm interesting

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Division 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back