EDFL Premier Division 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Northern play over the next few weeks and how they go will determine if this Club that please remember was created just 7 years ago will go on to meet their destiny!

Who Northern play over the next few weeks and how they go will determine if this Club that please remember was created just 7 years ago will go on to meet their destiny!

The game v Douttas is already shaping up as a huge one for both clubs.

Judging by their scorelines this season Northern Saints have been very competitive in every match. However I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams would have picked them to beat Abers on their home ground, and by 9 goals!
I saw Abers last week against Keilor, and they were extremely impressive. How things can change in a week.
I don't think big Mal would be very happy.

I have played in the EDFL since 2000 and I cannot remember such an upset. $400K vs MAYBE $100K. This was David v Goliath. And David not only knocked Goliath out but then took his sister home. A confronting embarrassment for Abers. Will it be the reality check they need.
The Saints were all heart yesterday. It was not about Abers losing the game, it was about Northern winning it.
The Caruso brothers are absolute Guns.

Watched Marby v Keilor yesterday. Marby seem to have a problem running out games. The next 2 weeks are defining for some clubs.

AVONDALE HEIGHTS
: Play Pascoe Vale and Keilor. Could win both or lose both but expected to at least win one to consolidate position in four.
KEILOR: Play Greenvale and Avondale Heights. Continue to surprise and have shown enough to expect them to make finals. They are 3 games clear plus percentage above 5th team Greenvale. A win against Greenvale will almost ensure that they finish the season higher than Greenvale and eliminate them as a threat for a final spot.
STRATHMORE: Play Northern Saints and Aberfeldie. All of a sudden the draw looks different for them compared to a fortnight ago. Will win at least one of these games to strengthen their position in the four.
ABERFELDIE: Play Marby and Strathmore. Abers need some good results here if they are to secure a double chance. Too much class you would think but have had previous seasons where the wheels fell off around this time. Don't expect this to happen but they have some thinking to do after loosing 2 games this year by 10 goals.
GREENVALE: Play Keilor and Marby. Season hangs in the balance and must win both of these games. Will need to win 8-9 games out of the last 11 to make finals. Must turn half way mark of season around with 5:4 win loss ratio. Good enough as reining premier but look a different side to last year.
AIRPORT WEST: Play Essendon Doutta Stars and Pascoe Vale Essendon Doutta Stars at Nipper Jordan reserve will be a huge game. Current form a worry and if the Eagles don't win both of these games, they will fall further away from top teams. Finals are on the line for the Eagles
PASCOE VALE: Play Avondale Heights and Airport West. Have had some surprise wins so far despite some turbulence at coaching level. Will not play finals but may only need to win two more games to avoid relegation. Should be able to achieve this.
MARIBYRNONG PARK: Play Aberfeldie and Greenvale. Dropped a couple of winnable games after poor finishes. Have a hard couple of weeks and are a long shot for finals football and not out of relegation contention yet.
NORTHERN SAINTS: Play Strathmore and Essendon Doutta Stars. Have surprised teams this year without winning before causing the biggest upset in recent EDFL history. Have the 5th highest goals/behinds for the season but leak goals like a sieve. The game against EDS in 2 weeks will be huge. Northern have a chance to stay up this year. A return to Division 1 next season will be viewed as a club having had a go and will be remembered for the day they beat the most fancied side in Premier Division on their own paddock!!
ESSENDON DOUTTA STARS: Play Airport West and Northern Saints. EDS would be bitterly disappointed with season results so far. Expected to be pressing for finals. Losses here will have the natives restless. Last time they went down to lower division, it look them 4-5 years to get back to top flight. If they lose to Airport West and face Saints away, the game could be defining as losing would have them 2 games plus percentage. It's a long way back from there.

Last edited:
Cheap shot coward!! - very easy from behind the protection of keyboard

Sierra, It apears Ive smashed your feelings in regards to how the competition peceives EDS, your embarasing club would be better suited to division 1 plus, rebuilding the club from bottom up instead of paying overs for hasbeans from Sunbury that are clearly better suited to Edfl divion 3.
The words from the new incoming commity is rid the place of the previous players, commity members, coaches and start fresh, I'm not taking a pot at any body but you must agree you need change in order to be a power house inthe Edfl again

I hear the poster Juliand is working behind the scenes to cause a leadership spill of the committee at douttas?
Look at Abers side, look at Northern Saints, there is no way NS should get anywhere near Abers.
Firstly a big well done NS, you deserve all the pats on the back you get.
Secondly - Where are all the Abers supporters, surely 1 or 2 can get on here an explain?
Was the side decimated with injuries? I've only heard 2nd hand from an Abers person who was at the game but he saod Northern Saint intimidated Abers with their hard at it tough play............ Surely the club cannot choke again

OK this week my tips(going early)
Pacco to beat Avondale at home
Keilor to beat Greenvale at home
Abers to bounce back hard and give Marby a flogging
Mores comfortably over NS
Doutta's to get up over APW at home and save Barham's hide

Still shaking my head over the Abers/Northern Saints result

I often laugh when someone says the latest season of AFL is the 'most even yet' and 'no easy games' but seriously, this would have to be the EDFL's most even season in the top division. No 'gimme' games at all and EDS would have to be the best 0-7 team in the history of the competition.

I hear the poster Juliand is working behind the scenes to cause a leadership spill of the committee at douttas?

This is interesting if true. Why spill the committee? From the outside looking in they seem to be doing a decent job. Home crowds been very encouraging with the new clubroom facility.

No doubt results are what matters but I would have though that is more onfield than off field.

This is interesting if true. Why spill the committee? From the outside looking in they seem to be doing a decent job. Home crowds been very encouraging with the new clubroom facility.

No doubt results are what matters but I would have though that is more onfield than off field.

I think you will find Flipper is on the flippers, just trying to stir the pot, committee is very solid with everyones backing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at Abers side, look at Northern Saints, there is no way NS should get anywhere near Abers.
Secondly - Where are all the Abers supporters, surely 1 or 2 can get on here an explain?
Was the side decimated with injuries? I've only heard 2nd hand from an Abers person who was at the game but he saod Northern Saint intimidated Abers with their hard at it tough play............ Surely the club cannot choke again

Love yours tips.

Really stirs the pot up.

Any bias here with Pacco? Just got done by Greenvale by 10 goals and face undefeated Avondale. Is this a tip from the heart or head? Maybe it's because you don't rate Galea who kicked another bag this week

Watched Marby v Keilor yesterday. Marby seem to have a problem running out games. The next 2 weeks are defining for some clubs.

AVONDALE HEIGHTS
: Play Pascoe Vale and Keilor. Could win both or lose both but expected to at least win one to consolidate position in four.
KEILOR: Play Greenvale and Avondale Heights. Continue to surprise and have shown enough to expect them to make finals. They are 3 games clear plus percentage above 5th team Greenvale. A win against Greenvale will almost ensure that they finish the season higher than Greenvale and eliminate them as a threat for a final spot.
STRATHMORE: Play Northern Saints and Aberfeldie. All of a sudden the draw looks different for them compared to a fortnight ago. Will win at least one of these games to strengthen their position in the four.
ABERFELDIE: Play Marby and Strathmore. Abers need some good results here if they are to secure a double chance. Too much class you would think but have had previous seasons where the wheels fell off around this time. Don't expect this to happen but they have some thinking to do after loosing 2 games this year by 10 goals.
GREENVALE: Play Keilor and Marby. Season hangs in the balance and must win both of these games. Will need to win 8-9 games out of the last 11 to make finals. Must turn half way mark of season around with 5:4 win loss ratio. Good enough as reining premier but look a different side to last year.
AIRPORT WEST: Play Essendon Doutta Stars and Pascoe Vale Essendon Doutta Stars at Nipper Jordan reserve will be a huge game. Current form a worry and if the Eagles don't win both of these games, they will fall further away from top teams. Finals are on the line for the Eagles
PASCOE VALE: Play Avondale Heights and Airport West. Have had some surprise wins so far despite some turbulence at coaching level. Will not play finals but may only need to win two more games to avoid relegation. Should be able to achieve this.
MARIBYRNONG PARK: Play Aberfeldie and Greenvale. Dropped a couple of winnable games after poor finishes. Have a hard couple of weeks and are a long shot for finals football and not out of relegation contention yet.
NORTHERN SAINTS: Play Strathmore and Essendon Doutta Stars. Have surprised teams this year without winning before causing the biggest upset in recent EDFL history. Have the 5th highest goals/behinds for the season but leak goals like a sieve. The game against EDS in 2 weeks will be huge. Northern have a chance to stay up this year. A return to Division 1 next season will be viewed as a club having had a go and will be remembered for the day they beat the most fancied side in Premier Division on their own paddock!!
ESSENDON DOUTTA STARS: Play Airport West and Northern Saints. EDS would be bitterly disappointed with season results so far. Expected to be pressing for finals. Losses here will have the natives restless. Last time they went down to lower division, it look them 4-5 years to get back to top flight. If they lose to Airport West and face Saints away, the game could be defining as losing would have them 2 games plus percentage. It's a long way back from there.
Good summary, however with one correction - DS finished last in A Grade for 1997 and was relegated to B Grade for the following season, won the B Grade premiership in 1998 and in 1999 won the A Grade premiership thus making Doutta Stars the only club in the League to win successive premierships in both Grades.:)

Good summary, however with one correction - DS finished last in A Grade for 1997 and was relegated to B Grade for the following season, won the B Grade premiership in 1998 and in 1999 won the A Grade premiership thus making Doutta Stars the only club in the League to win successive premierships in both Grades.:)
My mistake, that was a tremendous effort by EDS that was almost emulated by Oak Park a couple of years ago. The reference to taking a few years to get back after relegation relates to a newspaper article a number of years ago by an EDS official who expressed how hard it can be to rebound from being relegated. Recent relegations (over the last 8 years) by Oak Park, Craigieburn and East Keilor sees them still bottoming out with East Keilor in Div 2, Craigieburn and Oak Park only winning one game each in Div 1 and battling relegation. EDS efforts date back 17 years and more recent results show how hard it is.

NS outplayed Abers all day. Abers seem to have a fair bit of the ball real early but with no result on the board, NS got out to a small lead but I reckon Abers felt like they could flick a switch and turn it around but when it became real desperate it all went pear shaped, nothing went right and the further the game went the better NS became and it was an old fashion shellacking.
NS will win more games and if any of the higher placed teams take them lightly they will come undone.
Will be interesting to see if and how Abers bounce back.

Any bias here with Pacco? Just got done by Greenvale by 10 goals and face undefeated Avondale. Is this a tip from the heart or head? Maybe it's because you don't rate Galea who kicked another bag this week
No bias mate, I think the league is very close and it's about time Avondale's bubble was burst. Pacco at home cause a lot of teams trouble. As for Galea, no doubt he is a very good player but most people you spoke to pre season said he would tear the competition apart, clearly that hasn't happened. Seen him twice now, he was servicable both times but by no means a world beater. We'll see how accurate I am 5pm Saturday

Word is that Keilor people are a little concerned about a Greenvale side that has just beaten Pacoe very easily.

Greenvale is set to welcome back up to 3 players some from VFL and others from injury, Gazzo looking likely to play.

Also Greenvale havent lost at Keilor in years, I remember watching a game with Keilor up by 10 or so goals at half time only to loose.

Shaping to be a great game

NS outplayed Abers all day. Abers seem to have a fair bit of the ball real early but with no result on the board, NS got out to a small lead but I reckon Abers felt like they could flick a switch and turn it around but when it became real desperate it all went pear shaped, nothing went right and the further the game went the better NS became and it was an old fashion shellacking.
NS will win more games and if any of the higher placed teams take them lightly they will come undone.
Will be interesting to see if and how Abers bounce back.

Very good summary and nails it.

At 3 quarter time we were 5 goals down and scored early in the last quarter and you felt we would fly home however all credit to NS who managed 7 last quarter goals and deserved the win.

It goes without saying that Fort & Nat would be in the first handful picked in any premier division side - they're stars but on the weekend they had a really even contribution and their stoppage work was first class - helps too when Stocco has a day out with 7 goals.

NS showed plenty on the weekend, they're an exciting team (ranked 5th offensively) and that win will give them great confidence for the rest of the season.

Their depth isn't as good as the other lower ranked sides which could impact them if they cop any injuries to key personnel but at this stage they'd be confident of staying up.

On a side note - credit to their club as a whole as almost all players were in the rooms post games plus a number of supporters & staff.

We'll bounce back!

As an unbiased spectator, from what I've seen this year, the competition is as even and strong as any in metro vic. Credit to all the clubs. Strathmore were my big watch, for the second half of this year.. However with van meel out for the year, the back line seems somewhat undersized and vulnerable.. Avondale will be there at the pointy end, but midfield can tend to front run.. A quality outfit can expose this, especially under finals like pressure.. APW struggling to find consistency.. Greenvale no where near their best. Abers have way to much disparity between their best and worst football! Keilor seem to be playing above themselves, full credit to mick and the players.. Don't see their early season form as sustainable.

Aberfeldie and Avondale to battle it out for mine. But who knows...

Douttas finished last in 1992 so first year in B grade 93 and then won B grade in 98 and A grade in 99 so yeah took 6 years, anyway hope it doesn't happen we will have to wait and see. Would have been nice to have won against Keilor or Pacco but not to be and killed AH after quarter time on the weekend, yes the game was probably over but really out played them for 3 quarters which was very impressive, doesn't matter i guess still 0-7 :(

Remember first friday of the month Fredricks is open :)

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Division 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back