EDFL U16 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Due to the edfl implementing the "points" system for seniors in the next year or two I wonder which clubs will be sitting pretty once this is put into place. Home grown players incur nil points therefore if the really strong good clubs like eds and keilor "recruit" early then the kids will be referred to as home grown by the time they are 18-19. We can all have a shot at eds but I think at the end of the day their committee/coaches/recruiters are doing the right thing by the club long term.

Due to the edfl implementing the "points" system for seniors in the next year or two I wonder which clubs will be sitting pretty once this is put into place. Home grown players incur nil points therefore if the really strong good clubs like eds and keilor "recruit" early then the kids will be referred to as home grown by the time they are 18-19. We can all have a shot at eds but I think at the end of the day their committee/coaches/recruiters are doing the right thing by the club long term.

Gday Football,
Been following this thread for a few weeks now and yes the points system "might" see premier clubs scouting under 14s and 16s and try and recruit kids/parents by possibly offering incentitives to switch clubs. Therefore they occur low points when they reach senior level.
This is not an idea situation for some hard working clubs and footy in general, but is a way to get around the points system. So it's a way to build a list but will take time, similar to AFL clubs stockpiling young talent. I'm guessing it could affect some clubs in the lower divisions with the promise of going to a premier club and with some incentives.
I know I will cop some replies but I'm sure some clubs have already been doing it in the past. I also hear of $$ offered to coaches to stay or switch clubs and therefore bring over some of the better kids..

That's what's footy coming to!!

Let me give something else. Maybe even some Auskick coaches are getting paid.. But they need to get kids into the system so they need to do a bit of leg work. It might not sound good but it's not a bad idea for future survival of some clubs.

Anyway best of luck to all clubs.

If true equalization is to occur with a points system then capping the number of U16's/U18's which can be registered at 1 club also needs to be introduced. Makes no sense to have 1 club with 3 sides in junior divisions and others not able to enter a side.

If true equalization is to occur with a points system then capping the number of U16's/U18's which can be registered at 1 club also needs to be introduced. Makes no sense to have 1 club with 3 sides in junior divisions and others not able to enter a side.
Modicus could you please explain why it doesn't make sense.
I'll tell you this occurs. It's because they are well run clubs that families want their kids involved in. I can assure you this kind of "true equalisation" will backfire on junior football in the edfl.
I know for a fact my brother would not let his kid play at some edfl clubs and with my knowledge of them either would i(when I have kids....hopefully a boy). Maybe it's time some of the clubs struggling for numbers in the juniors change the way the run their club.

I'll tell you this occurs. It's because they are well run clubs that families want their kids involved in. I can assure you this kind of "true equalisation" will backfire on junior football in the edfl.
I know for a fact my brother would not let his kid play at some edfl clubs and with my knowledge of them either would i(when I have kids....hopefully a boy). Maybe it's time some of the clubs struggling for numbers in the juniors change the way the run their club.

I think you answered your own question. If we introduce a points system at senior levels to address increasing player payments and don't address the entire ecosystem then soon enough.. the senior competition will have fixtures which look like some of the junior fixtures at the moment with teams playing each other multiple times within a month.

Agree there are some clubs much better positoned and operated to manage and nurture junior talent. However this doesn't change the fact that limiting the number of imported players at senior level will have a significant impact on clubs which can't attract junior players.

Happy to hear your suggestion on how to maintain the current level of teams in the competition over the next 5-10 years without addressing the need to also have a strategy for junior competitions...

Your kidding aren't you, totally agree with Modicus.

Clubs should be able to have no more than 2 teams in each age group.

This use to be the case, Keilor Park became into existence because East Keilor couldn't have a monopoly on 3-4 teams.

Some of these clubs are dying and its attitudes like yours which will see it happen.

Turbo it is a pleasure and honour to have you grace our small thread.
Welcome back from your suspension also :drunk:

Thanks mate for the kind words!

Now I will buy into the conversation regarding the number of junior clubs per club. I can understand where both views are coming from and you are all talking with passion. I'm not quite sure if anyone has the "right" answer.
My opinion is if the league want 3 divisions to continue and be competitive into the future it might need to be capped at 2 junior teams per club, but if the league want 2 divisions then keep it as is.
Capped at 2 teams will see juniors head to clubs that are struggling otherwise ultimately the "big" clubs will stay strong and the struggling clubs ultimately fold.

I would say sides like East Keilor, Tulla, Airport West, Keilor Park, Jacana, Avondale Heights are clubs who require higher junior numbers. #But I could be wrong, as it's based on my memory..

BUT shouldn't people have a choice where they want to take there kids (as per Football1993 views) as being forced to go to clubs is not an ideal situation and might cause juniors to play other sports like soccer.
I originally got involved at a club by taking my youngster to play u/10. I didn't play in the EDFL at the time so went to a club close to where I was living at the time. The club was not really successful at the time junior wise, but my son had a ball and I meet some of the best people there. As my son was pretty talented he still enjoyed it, but later we moved house and he played div1 in another comp and I noticed the difference in standard and crowd behavoir, so I've seen both sides. If someone has ability they should be playing in the top divisions against the best, but we should never forget where we came from and there are some good clubs in the lower divisions with hardworking genuine people.

Probably need someone to do a study on this subject and compile some data.

Each to their own. I would love all clubs in the edfl to be competitive and financially strong. Unfortunately that's not the case. Some clubs work hard to have a strong culture that families want their kids to be involved in.
Sounds like instead of certain clubs being made to clean up their act and be better at running a football club the edfl will forcibly direct kids their way OR away from football.
I'm aware some people disagree and that is their perogative.
I personally would prefer the weaker clubs lift their game instead of dragging the better clubs down.

Thanks mate for the kind words!

Now I will buy into the conversation regarding the number of junior clubs per club. I can understand where both views are coming from and you are all talking with passion. I'm not quite sure if anyone has the "right" answer.
My opinion is if the league want 3 divisions to continue and be competitive into the future it might need to be capped at 2 junior teams per club, but if the league want 2 divisions then keep it as is.
Capped at 2 teams will see juniors head to clubs that are struggling otherwise ultimately the "big" clubs will stay strong and the struggling clubs ultimately fold.

I would say sides like East Keilor, Tulla, Airport West, Keilor Park, Jacana, Avondale Heights are clubs who require higher junior numbers. #But I could be wrong, as it's based on my memory..

BUT shouldn't people have a choice where they want to take there kids (as per Football1993 views) as being forced to go to clubs is not an ideal situation and might cause juniors to play other sports like soccer.
I originally got involved at a club by taking my youngster to play u/10. I didn't play in the EDFL at the time so went to a club close to where I was living at the time. The club was not really successful at the time junior wise, but my son had a ball and I meet some of the best people there. As my son was pretty talented he still enjoyed it, but later we moved house and he played div1 in another comp and I noticed the difference in standard and crowd behavoir, so I've seen both sides. If someone has ability they should be playing in the top divisions against the best, but we should never forget where we came from and there are some good clubs in the lower divisions with hardworking genuine people.

Probably need someone to do a study on this subject and compile some data.
I think the biggest problem with a lot of this discussion is that the general opinion is that if you cap the number of teams that a club can have in an age group then all the so called struggling clubs will survive.

I don't think it is that easy - in some ways it is a cop out on the clubs that don't have numbers - wouldn't it be better to look at the so called big clubs and work out why the kids want to go there rather than say they can only have two teams - it assumes that kids will go to other clubs - this won't happen - Abers, Keilor strathmore hillside etc have 4 teams at most age groups - what do you do to those boys who don't make the cut - sorry champ just go down the road for a game - certain way to lose kids to the game in my opinion.

The bigger clubs are that way because they have structure, good communication and provide an environment where the kids want to be.....

Each to their own. I would love all clubs in the edfl to be competitive and financially strong. Unfortunately that's not the case. Some clubs work hard to have a strong culture that families want their kids to be involved in.
Sounds like instead of certain clubs being made to clean up their act and be better at running a football club the edfl will forcibly direct kids their way OR away from football.
I'm aware some people disagree and that is their perogative.
I personally would prefer the weaker clubs lift their game instead of dragging the better clubs down.

Just to be clear I am not saying I have the answer. I'm just saying that introducing a cap is only a half measure and the competition needs to be looked at holistically if it is to remain sustainably strong into the future. Otherwise the introduction of a points cap will be as successful as the introduction of the Cane Toad.

Personally I would like to see the EDFL step in and create a department that goes out to the clubs struggling with juniors, leadership, financial management and planning and assists them in these and other areas. Not every club is blessed with C-Level management from the banking sector as part of their committee's. Some are run by Blue Collar workers doing their best to provide an environment for their kids to have a kick. Fair enough they may not get it right all the time but they are rolling up their sleeves to try to benefit their local communities.

Maybe if a junior cap was also introduced people would not turn away from the game, but instead decide to take active roles in these clubs and help turn them around. After all Footy is still the best game in the world and left without choice I know what I would do....

I think the biggest problem with a lot of this discussion is that the general opinion is that if you cap the number of teams that a club can have in an age group then all the so called struggling clubs will survive.

I don't think it is that easy - in some ways it is a cop out on the clubs that don't have numbers - wouldn't it be better to look at the so called big clubs and work out why the kids want to go there rather than say they can only have two teams - it assumes that kids will go to other clubs - this won't happen - Abers, Keilor strathmore hillside etc have 4 teams at most age groups - what do you do to those boys who don't make the cut - sorry champ just go down the road for a game - certain way to lose kids to the game in my opinion.

The bigger clubs are that way because they have structure, good communication and provide an environment where the kids want to be.....

You have raised valid points Fev which I agree with, but we also need to consider the area clubs are situated. Ultimately teams like Keilor Park, Tulla, Avondale, etc will struggle with limited families in these areas with young kids. Hillside numbers have declined slightly due to new teams like Burnside Heights entering the league.
Teams like Abers, Strathmore, Keilor, Greenvale and to a lesser extent Douttas, Pacco, Marby will always attract kids/parents due to being known as "good" clubs with strong seniors (yes I know Douttas are in div1) good cultures,good facilities, ex AFL/VFL players to assist junior developments, more $$ in bank etc.
The other clubs in the lower divisions are always going to struggle I guess, and even with some extra junior numbers will need good management to keep them and get clubs moving forward.

I think time will come for paying Football Managers for seniors and juniors. "But" you will need to get the right people to succeed but it can be done..

Remember if your club folds it never comes back so memories and history are goneeee.

How long can Keilor Park & Tulla keep going for. Yes Tulla seniors are going well but what does the future hold? Many years (approx 10-15) ago they were one of the stronger junior clubs. They have to work hard every year..

Anyway I might give it a rest now, but appreciate you all letting me getting involved in your thread..

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 vic boys arnt playing due they have a game this morning
Sorry I thought they played yesterday. Lucky I didn't turn up to visy park.
NEW PREDICTIONS
West coburg 10 goals
Abers 7 goals
Keilor 12 goals
Eds 12 goals

Hopefully we start to get some players back from injuries shortly throughout the 16's.

Keilor looking good, Abers near full strength today(Hanna metro), eds as full strength they can be(balta/Rayner metro, caluzzi back in 4)

Bit of a huge punt but I'm backing Westmeadows to give West Coburg a bit of a wake-up call, that's only if WC don't come to the game switched on, fair to say game of the week? Might regret posting this in a few hours time but who knows.
Douttas, Keilor and Abers should get up fine even with key missing players

Bit of a huge punt but I'm backing Westmeadows to give West Coburg a bit of a wake-up call, that's only if WC don't come to the game switched on, fair to say game of the week? Might regret posting this in a few hours time but who knows.
Douttas, Keilor and Abers should get up fine even with key missing players
West Coburg by 10 goals............
Douttas played a quite miserable game and it was boring as a spectator.
They won 52 - 1
Unsure of the other results but heard that they were one sided

West Coburg by 10 goals............
Douttas played a quite miserable game and it was boring as a spectator.
They won 52 - 1
Unsure of the other results but heard that they were one sided
100%, very turgid game to watch with no poise shown by either team. Shows the difference quality players make to any team.

saw eds v strathmore game and it was anything but ornate or complex.
Strathmore seemed to simply want to have 18 players around the ball so eds always had two or three a kick behind play in their defensive areas and were never going to allow them to score so virtually conceded any chance, or do they always play that way?Surely not. Today would have been their best chance with the big guns from eds out but appeared to choose to try and minimize the damage instead of trying to win.When they beat Craigeburn they could not have played that way?
A truly horrible game and a very poor showing from Strathmore coaches if it was in fact planned that way.

This forum should be entitled under 16 division 1 2015. The players and teams that are playing division one have the most talent and therefore are involved in vic etc. that's what this convo wants to talk most about. Not saying the other divisions are crap but just saying they don't breed as much talent or exciting football. It would be good to see a new forum created to talk about other divisions so under 16 footy would be better covered.
No way do these divisions "breed" talent, they just attract good players from division 2/3 clubs, believe me when I say there are plenty of talented footballers in lower grade clubs including K. Aspel of roxburgh park, R. Caundle of Pascoe vale and L. Watson of EK. Pure shame that players in lower grades that are loyal and committed to their clubs aren't getting recognised.

No way do these divisions "breed" talent, they just attract good players from division 2/3 clubs, believe me when I say there are plenty of talented footballers in lower grade clubs including K. Aspel of roxburgh park, R. Caundle of Pascoe vale and L. Watson of EK. Pure shame that players in lower grades that are loyal and committed to their clubs aren't getting recognised.
That's a big call 7911 - the majority of boys playing at the div 1 clubs have been there since the start - it is only a few that come from the Div 2 or 3 clubs - why that is you would have to ask the kids involved.

Absolutely there are talented boys across all the divisions however at div 1 the talent pool is far deeper than at the lower levels and the reason that the majority of this forum is directed at this level.

From what I can see there is no restrictions on posting about the other divisions it just seems that they don't get the traction or conversation happening

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL U16 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back