News Edwards Retirement - Effective Immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Phil Harper said Edwards asked for a farwell game against the Dockers.

He was told that couldn't be guaranteed, and woulf be form based, but he'd get one before the year is out, Tyson then said he'd rather pull up stumps now.
then i take back everything i have said

Interesting comments in here. First many posters have been claiming that the coach is too attached to the older players. Our season is over, we should be blooding the younger players and looking to the future. Then this happens and it is all again the coachs fault. Which one is it guys?

Welcome to the Adelaide Board.

Congrats on an outstanding career Tyson .. so sad that we wont be able to see you off!

firstly congrats to Tyson on a wonderful career :thumbsu:

the right decision however 8 months too late

reading in between the lines Tyson may have been dropped and subsequently decided to pull the pin, if this is the case I find his decision some what disapointing considering Edwards, Goodwin, Burton and Macca all gave NC a committment prior to Neil's decision to keep them on for another seaon that if any of this quartet was dropped they would still fight out the season and try and fight there way back in the side.

Craigy did not want any player walking away mid-season

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and the right decision is better late than never

Zoomer thanks for 320 wonderful games and all the best for the future

The new era has commenced :) :thumbsu:

Sad week for the club with two of our greatest ever players retiring. If Macca goes, then all of the players who played in the premierships will have retired. I was expecting him to retire next week with the Freo game as his AFL finale but sadly he won't get the chairing off the ground he deserves. :(

Thanks Tyson for your magnificent contribution towards our football club. You were always the professional both on and off the field and you deserved more accolades than you received (playing alongside Goodwin, Roo and Macca didn't help). All the best in the future and hopefully we will see another Edwards running around in crows colours in the future. :thumbsu:

I'm going to miss Edwards :( One of my favourites to watch until this year - so clean, and so much time. Mackay is his heir apparent.

Thanks for the memories Edwards. You were one of the finest to lace the boots for the Crows. While the lack of AAs and B&Fs don't present you in the light you deserve to be presented, having played the second-highest number of games at the Crows (a record unlikely to be broken in this new modern age of football) will serve as a lasting testament to your durability and consistency.

Sad we won't get to see Edwards in a farewell match, but that's just Edwards' style really. Understated, business-like. He saw the writing on the wall and pulled the plug. It's quite fitting in a way, however sad.

I wonder what the club will do in terms of guernseys at the end of the season? How do you put new bodies straight into #9 and #36? (And possible #23). I wouldn't feel right about a third-round pick (which will be closer to a fourth-round pick) picking up the guernsey of one of those great players, but on the other hand without it we'll be pushing into the #50s :eek:

A great player and a wonderful servant of the club.

Well done on a great career.

I will miss your great marks for someone so small and your wondertul ability to get around opponents.

The club has done the right thing here. Craigy gave none of the players a guarantee of a game if they played on -the players all agreed to this.

No-one can say Craigy did not give Zoomer every chance to return to form. Posters have been calling for tysons head for weeks. But Craigy has great faith in his players.

In the end the call had to be made to drop him. Everyone at the club knows that players are not gifted games. The problem then is what happens if his form does not return. This is an honourable way for Tyson to retire.

The club will celebrate Tysons retirement in due course and with the style befitting of this champion of the club.

Give everyone a break here - not all endings are wrapped up with a neat bow.

Tyson may feel agreived today - but when he reflects on what has happened he will know that both he and the club have made the right decision.

Sounds like he wanted a farewell game guaranteed, Craig wanted to but couldnt. What if we win by 20 goals this week, who do you drop. Cant blame Craig for that. So he pulled the pin now.
Ah, misinterpreted what was said then. Anyway, as you said, can't blame Craig for that, and Edwards wouldn't want to get in the way of a younger player demanding a spot in the team. I am going to be close to tears listening to his PC tomorrow.:(

I will miss your great marks for someone so small and your wondertul ability to get around opponents.

The club has done the right thing here. Craigy gave none of the players a guarantee of a game if they played on -the players all agreed to this.

No-one can say Craigy did not give Zoomer every chance to return to form. Posters have been calling for tysons head for weeks. But Craigy has great faith in his players.

In the end the call had to be made to drop him. Everyone at the club knows that players are not gifted games. The problem then is what happens if his form does not return. This is an honourable way for Tyson to retire.

The club will celebrate Tysons retirement in due course and with the style befitting of this champion of the club.

Tyson may feel agreived today - but when he reflects on what has happened he will know that both he and the club have made the right decision.
Great post, couldn't have said it better myself.:thumbsu:

How can Craigy not guarantee the farewell game next week? We're not talking about one of the good players of the club, or someone who hasn't played this year - we are talking about a genuine legend of the club who has played every game this year and at worst would have been the travelling emergency this week. It's not like it would be a huge gift

Was it time for him to retire - yes.
Has Craigy handled it appropriately - I don't think so.

A scientific approach certainly doesn't help you build a culture!!

Super player. My favourite Crows player of all time. Congratulations on a great career and best of luck in retirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An end to a solid, serviceable career.

Solid? Serviceable? Better than that surely? Ultra-reliable, high quality player, tough, skillful and fair. Has anyone ever played a better 300th game? His drop in form this year has been abrupt and shocking, but he has been a great player for the AFC. Pity no farewell game.

If that's true, it's an absolute disgrace.

He was obviously down on form this year, but jesus, he'd be so very, very good for us for so long.

:(

You need to read all the other stuff. It's not the Club's fault.

From David Burtenshaw:

The decision to retire came first. A farewell game was discussed but Tyson then decided to retire immediately.

Sad to go out that way.

Surely if he has been dropped, and subsequently retired, there could have been a 'fake injury' to prevent a Westies run around and then give a massive final game send off in our next home game.

Ridiculous that he isn't given a final game post retirement announcement, especially given our season is over.

Surely:mad:

An absolute champion of the game MUST be given an appropriate on-field send off.

This could be managed better surely??
?

People have been screaming for the club & coach to make TOUGH DECISIONS ........well they've done it without sugar coating

When they dropped Burton it was obvious he was injured .....yet they chose to say publicly he'd been dropped when they easily could have said out injured .....he went in for the OP what just a few days later

Players like Edwards are proud ....and very few go out on their terms ...Hart the most recent example

I'm sure the club will give Edwards & family a parade around a future Crows home game

Sad day :(

Magnificent post, spot on. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

The thing is, as sad as it can be at times, there's no sentiment in footy. If a champ like Edwards doesn't get a farewell game that's just the way the cards have fallen. AFL footy is a business and so business decisions must be made. Every crows supporter knows who Tyson Edwards is and what he has done for our club for so many years, and I know I'll be telling my kids what a champion player he was.

He won't be forgotten, and we'll get the opportunity to say goodbye with a lap of honour as well. :thumbsu:

Congratulations Tyson on a stellar career.

What an absolute champion; and although you never got that gold :thumbsu: jacket you deserved you'll still be one of the top five players the club as produced for many years to come.

Bring on your 3 lads!!

Should have kept Shirley, but yeah.

Shirley would have been another redudant player who would have been on the fringe this year. Shirley would have made no impact at all for us this year, IMO it was the right call. You couldn't even argue that he was playing great football last year.

I've got a really strange feeling about this one, which is almost bitter sweet.

Firstly, I was one of those calling for him to be dropped.

With regards to what has transpired I believe that the right decisons were made on all sides and noone is in the wrong, yet it is still really sad in the way it played out.

I guess that is testament to the high regard that Tyson is held in. We all feel for him and in a perfect world he would get a proper send off.

Well done Tyson and thanks for the memories.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Edwards Retirement - Effective Immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back