Preview Elimination Final: Richmond vs North Melbourne @ MCG - Sun 13 Sep 3:20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogwai

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2012
The Capitol
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Central Coast Mariners
486461246.jpg
Image 1: Dylan Grimes carries a cooked Robin Nahas off for a rest.

The Tigers will play their third elimination final in as many years against the Kangaroos. Finishing off the the home & away season in farcical circumstances, the Kangaroos, with a Brad Scott trademark of being high on mediocrity and low on integrity, decided to lose to Richmond and setting off a chain of rod stroking among the premier thought leaders of the North board.

Screenshot (58).png
Oh boy, I'd rather play the ball and not the man, but some of these are hilarious.

R23 team:
RICHMOND

B: Dylan Grimes Jake Batchelor Troy Chaplin

HB: Kamdyn McIntosh Alex Rance Bachar Houli

C: Brandon Ellis Brett Deledio Taylor Hunt

HF: Ben Lennon Ty Vickery Dustin Martin

F: Trent Cotchin Jack Riewoldt Shane Edwards

R: Ivan Maric Shaun Grigg Kane Lambert

I/C: Chris Newman Anthony Miles Nick Vlastuin Sam Lloyd

Conca & Knights are smokeys to come back into the side for this game, but the Tigers looked settled at the moment with the line up. One could conceivably see how an extra midfielder, rather than a small forward, would be more useful in a cut-throat Elimination Final, so at the moment I'd have:
Out: Lloyd
In: Conca
The Newman & Hunt questions have been discussed will continue to be discussed, but I don't think either of them will be dropped.

Now, since we know all about us and nothing about North because they rested 9 players - you could say they were Enigmal - let's do a critical reading about North Melbourne.

This was their R22 team; a full team which lost to 6th placed Footscray:
NORTH MELBOURNE

B: Michael Firrito Robbie Tarrant Shaun Atley

HB Sam Wright Scott D. Thompson Nick Dal Santo

C Jamie Macmillan Jack Ziebell Ben Jacobs

HF Shaun Higgins Drew Petrie Taylor Garner

F: Lachlan Hansen Jarrad Waite Robin Nahas

R: Todd Goldstein Ben Cunnington Andrew Swallow

I/C Ryan Bastinac Brent Harvey Ben Brown Sam Gibson

We can all expect Brent Harvey to be an ineffectual sub this again as he played his role (or lack thereof) to a tee in Round 23. --- maybe not.
Ins into this team could include Majak Daw and Daniel Wells (low level calf strain) while Thomas' foot injury continues to be a source of much relief for us Tiger fans.
Taylor Garner's a poor night out in R23, may lead to omission. Although Kanye Turner looked like pressing for a spot in the 22, his concussion may rule him out of contention for the Elimination Final.

What worries me:

1. Ben Cunnington is having a fantastic season with Goldstein's sterling service this year, averaging 7.5 clearances a game. He also averages 14.5 contested possessions this year, but also leads the team in clangers at 3.43 pg. Andrew Swallow is similarly enjoying it with 5.7 clearances a game.

2. On their day, the Brown-Petrie-Potential triumvirate could cause any teams problems. But, their little mind games about Rance 'tunnelling' in the media is at the expense of Firrito/Hansen/Thompson/Tarrant's own techniques as well, and just stinks of fear of our KPDs. Could shove a wedge of thought and hesitancy between our ears, but the professionals know best.

Pumping up our own tyres:
583225-44406c5a-52f8-11e5-9feb-d976cea92fcd.jpg
Deledio's goal kicking and leading and marking
Cotchin's form
Grigg is getting 2012 form back.
Vickery is making KPDs look useless
Ben Lennon is making our own judgment look clueless
Rance: Tunnel away at them
AFL coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli
Batchelor outta nowhere
Houli's going great
Whatever Vlastuin's doing in defence, he's not meant to be there yet he looks like he was made for it
Chaplin's enjoying his season
Lambert > Boekhorst lmao spooners
Dustin Martin doesn't care about the opponent's existence
McIntosh doing some crazy running bounces

Think about all those things and banish all the negativity out.

Where the Tigers will win:

1. You thought our loss to Adelaide was bad? Kangas got smashed by 77 over there. They also rolled up and decided to give up against the Hawks by 60 on their Etihad deck. Dockers smashed them by 73. These campaigners are ****ing vanilla pretenders. All year, points wise, our worst loss was 6 goals against Adelaide. They are a confidence team: we grind it in early and blow it out in the third and I'll start booking your tickets to Sydney.

2. Our midfield has thrived off opposition hitouts. The game against Freo at Subi was an example. No matter what Goldstein does, if the on-ballers are - well on the ball - we should negate their effect. Do note most of their losses have involved teams with great midfield divisions: Bulldogs, Hawks, Sydney, Adelaide, and err... Suns? (Gastro apparently tore through their guts, B&F for the Suns I reckon)

3. If Lindsay Thomas doesn't play, which does look like a 50-50 7 days away from the game (odds will change accordingly as the week goes on), we'll have the benefit of having a player relatively loose against Nahas who as we know doesn't make a massive impact in games. Now since the Roos often have Hansen has the loose man back, the one less number around would help immensely in our slow buildup play, which we really didn't have when we played the Roos first time round.

4. We approach this game with some form; not the kind of blistering form that would eventually lead to collapse in 2014 and not the shaky weird feeling of 2013 (we still had a number of spuds in that team). The class of 2015 looks very comfortable at the moment, ticking over like a metronome.

To be honest though I'm pretty cautious about this one. It's one of those games that will blow open sometime, somewhere and I feel weirdly comfortable about it.
Tigers by 44.

I'll be GIFing/Image-ing this post over the course of the night as it looks banal and uninspiring like Collingwood's boardroom right now

Last edited:

Preparing a month out from finals- check
9 day break- check
MCG home final- check
Good form- check
Another hoodoo to squash- check
A week of finals Tiger talk on the radio- check

Go Tiges!!!
Cotchin been rested to will be a beast next sunday unlike norf resting guys coz their old (now primed). lol

Really looking forward to this game. After Norf rested their geriatrics and pea hearts, we will be playing at a real Football ground in front of a parochial Richmond crowd. I can't wait for Scott to whinge and moan after every free kick against his team, or maybe complain about the weather. The tigers are ready, and will continue the momentum gained this year by beating top sides, instead of 3 months of playing teams outside the eight. Everyone seems to be able to beat Freo away from Subi, so there's not much to be excited about beating them (Norf's only scalp in the top 8 in 3 months).

Bring our "A" game (against Hawks) and we should have no trouble beating Dad's Army / "The Minnows"..

Tigers by 32 points after taking the foot off the gas in the last quarter (resting Cotch, Martin, Lids and Rance for the trip to Sydney or Perth).. Martin won't be happy as he loves the cameos in the last quarter, and he could kick 4-5 goals if singled out with Nonno Foritto..

View attachment 170157
Image 1: Dylan Grimes carries a cooked Robin Nahas off for a rest.

The Tigers will play their third elimination final in as many years against the Kangaroos. Finishing off the the home & away season in farcical circumstances, the Kangaroos, with a Brad Scott trademark of being high on mediocrity and low on integrity, decided to lose to Richmond and setting off a chain of rod stroking among the premier thought leaders of the North board.

View attachment 170163
Oh boy, I'd rather play the ball and not the man, but some of these are hilarious.

R23 team:
RICHMOND

B: Dylan Grimes Jake Batchelor Troy Chaplin

HB: Kamdyn McIntosh Alex Rance Bachar Houli

C: Brandon Ellis Brett Deledio Taylor Hunt

HF: Ben Lennon Ty Vickery Dustin Martin

F: Trent Cotchin Jack Riewoldt Shane Edwards

R: Ivan Maric Shaun Grigg Kane Lambert

I/C: Chris Newman Anthony Miles Nick Vlastuin Sam Lloyd

Conca & Knights are smokeys to come back into the side for this game, but the Tigers looked settled at the moment with the line up. One could conceivably see how an extra midfielder, rather than a small forward, would be more useful in a cut-throat Elimination Final, so at the moment I'd have:
Out: Lloyd
In: Conca
The Newman & Hunt questions have been discussed will continue to be discussed, but I don't think either of them will be dropped.

Pumping up our own tyres:
View attachment 170171
Deledio's goal kicking and leading and marking
Cotchin's form
Grigg is getting 2012 form back.
Vickery is making KPDs look useless
Ben Lennon is making our own judgment look clueless
Rance: Tunnel away at them
AFL coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli
Batchelor outta nowhere
Houli's going great
Whatever Vlastuin's doing in defence, he's not meant to be there yet he looks like he was made for it
Chaplin's enjoying his season
Lambert > Boekhorst lmao spooners
Dustin Martin doesn't care about the opponent's existence
McIntosh doing some crazy running bounces

Think about all those things and banish all the negativity out.

I'll finish off the rest once I've submitted the uni assignment due at midnight -------- stay tuned
Great op and love the Nahas pic . I hope Grimesey doesn't have a hole in his sternum due to Robbies big xxxx;)

Norf play terribly after a bye/all the time, right? Compound the effective bye half their team had last week, with having an actual crowd to play in front of (I heard the poor minnows rarely see more than 30 people together at a time) and away from Etihad – it sounds like lolNorf will be ripe for a ploughing come EF time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to do something about their switching from the backline.
It's quite simple really...we need our best defensive pressure from the start of the game and every single time we have the ball we need players constantly moving, running and creating space. It's the only way to win tough matches.
Must make the most of our opportunities and convert. No more ridiculous shots on goal or missing easy ones.
We do all this and we win by 20
North are very inconsistent

We need to do something about their switching from the backline.
It's quite simple really...we need our best defensive pressure from the start of the game and every single time we have the ball we need players constantly moving, running and creating space. It's the only way to win tough matches.
Must make the most of our opportunities and convert. No more ridiculous shots on goal or missing easy ones.
We do all this and we win by 20
North are very inconsistent
Switching or running it up the wing Chinese checkers style. We must stop that furtherest away from goal to stop that happening.

The players that norf rested will have had a 15 day break which is usually detrimental to clubs. Plus we've already given (maybe not given, but certainly taken) Cotch and Lids week off recently so they'll be fresh.

Perfect preparation on Friday I thought. We came out with a relaxed mindset and Nth's pressure/intensity was top notch in the first half. It's sometimes easy to be critical from the stands but rarely could I see an easy target in the first 60 mins - simply Nth were all over us. We've got another gear or two and the space of the G will obviously suit us. Re the 9 players coming back for Nth - it's never really been about the personnel with Nth so I'm not too bothered. It has generally been our game plan that gets found out. We play a lot smarter these days. We're practically full strength and have a fresh squad. I'm confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back