Ellinbank Football League P3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bunyip to win it.
How can you day Ellinbank and nyora have not improved much when they played each other? Nyora won by 40 points, only won one game last year. Ellinbank lost a few but picked up both the johnsons and matt robbo.

Bunyip to win it.
How can you day Ellinbank and nyora have not improved much when they played each other? Nyora won by 40 points, only won one game last year. Ellinbank lost a few but picked up both the johnsons and matt robbo.

Only going off preseason form, numbers at training. Ellinbank struggled to find 15 players on most occasions in preseason. They may have fielded 2 sides satdy, once the losses start to flow, i reakon they will be seeing those numbers again. Matt Robbo....big question mark over him.

Fair call on Nyora, 1 out of 1. Can't do any better than that....

I think ellinbank would be fairly similar to last year, they will still be fairly hard to beat on their ground. Nyora has definitely improved, we wont win the flag but will be much more competitive than last year. My ladder.

Bunyip
Dusties
Cora Lynn
Garfield
NNS
NNG

Lang Lang
KWR
Nyora
Catani

Ellinbank
Buln
Longwarry
Poowong
Nilma

2 weeks ago I would have put LL in the 6 but 2 losses at home to CL and Bunyip will make it tough for them to make it. I think vansitart and Lieshout will make bunyip better with the improvement from the young guys they have. Hard to split to the top 6.

Bunyip not impressive at all against Lang Lang. The wind turned around at quarter time so Bunyip effectively kicked with the breeze for 3 quarters and still only won by 4 goals. Looking at the first two weeks Cora Lynn are a long way in front of Bunyip.

Have you blokes picked up anyone of note?? Good to see you will be one of the improvers though!

I think after next round we will get a much clearer understanding on some sides and where they're at:

NNG v Gar
Dusties V Bunyip
CL V NNS
KWR v LL

Interesting games in relation to the top six.

I certainly agree that Zaccy Vansittart and Lieshout will improve Bunyip! Vansittart is a gun in my opinion (not too sure how he went in the B+F, but was frequently in the best players for Blackburn FC last year, (Div 1 Eastern League). I'm just glad Zac didnt bring over his brother Josh (who was captain of Northen Bullants only 2 years ago).

I think ellinbank would be fairly similar to last year, they will still be fairly hard to beat on their ground. Nyora has definitely improved, we wont win the flag but will be much more competitive than last year. My ladder.

Bunyip
Dusties
Cora Lynn
Garfield
NNS
NNG

Lang Lang
KWR
Nyora
Catani

Ellinbank
Buln
Longwarry
Poowong
Nilma

2 weeks ago I would have put LL in the 6 but 2 losses at home to CL and Bunyip will make it tough for them to make it. I think vansitart and Lieshout will make bunyip better with the improvement from the young guys they have. Hard to split to the top 6.

Have you blokes picked up anyone of note?? Good to see you will be one of the improvers though!

I think after next round we will get a much clearer understanding on some sides and where they're at:

NNG v Gar
Dusties V Bunyip
CL V NNS
KWR v LL

Interesting games in relation to the top six.

I certainly agree that Zaccy Vansittart and Lieshout will improve Bunyip! Vansittart is a gun in my opinion (not too sure how he went in the B+F, but was frequently in the best players for Blackburn FC last year, (Div 1 Eastern League). I'm just glad Zac didnt bring over his brother Josh (who was captain of Northen Bullants only 2 years ago).

I agree those 2 will make a huge difference, I watched Blackburn a fair bit and Zac is a very good player, will be one of the best midfielders in the league.

At nyora Assistant coach Peter Greenstreet should be a very good player and few other decent recruits plus 4-5 blokes back who didnt play much or any football at all last year. Will improve for sure but still a fair bit away from the top 6.

Bunyip not impressive at all against Lang Lang. The wind turned around at quarter time so Bunyip effectively kicked with the breeze for 3 quarters and still only won by 4 goals. Looking at the first two weeks Cora Lynn are a long way in front of Bunyip.

Bunyips recruits didnt do much Surkin??

Leishout was good not sure who their other recruits were.

Just think Robbies Hughes and Brent Hues especially will be bigger losses than everyone expects. Don't get me wrong Bunyip will be certain finalists just not sure they have the players to match Cora Lynn and Warragul.

Has Luke Kirkland kicked many goals yet. Played with us last year so interested to see how he goes this year

After 2 rounds he has kicked 7 goals. 3 v Lang Lang, 4 v Garfield (2011 premiers). By all reports he seems his gunna be a pretty tough match ups for most teams. How does he generally go? goals position played last year??

After 2 rounds he has kicked 7 goals. 3 v Lang Lang, 4 v Garfield (2011 premiers). By all reports he seems his gunna be a pretty tough match ups for most teams. How does he generally go? goals position played last year??

Played full forward for us last year and kicked 60 odd. He is undersized for a full forward but is very talented, good on the lead, on the ground and generally a very good kick at goal

Played full forward for us last year and kicked 60 odd. He is undersized for a full forward but is very talented, good on the lead, on the ground and generally a very good kick at goal

Seems as though he is also playing deep forward at CL. Considering the strength of CL, the amount of footy coming in and a few very weak sides in thre comp this year, he could be in for some big bags and 70-80 goals. I suppose it depends how much time their other forward Robinson spends forward. He did play on ball resting forward on weekend against garfield....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hope they could survive the season at least. Be dissapointing to see any club leave the league.

Are there any merger talks happening like there have been with Yarragon in the past?

I would hope they could survive the season at least. Be dissapointing to see any club leave the league.

Are there any merger talks happening like there have been with Yarragon in the past?

Up until the end of 2010 there were no merger talks with Yarragon, at least not in my time at the club. There were merger talks with Ellinbank in 1996. That is the only time I know of that the club had talks with anyone.

My solution would be to grab one of the clubs out of the WDJFL and play them as the early games. Warragul Blues, for example, would be asked to join the EDFL and play as their own club as the curtain raiser for the reserves and seniors and just follow Darnum around with the draw. They could at least field a 4ths and 5ths with a view to helping begin a 3rds as players move on and get older. Not as silly as it sounds as from some reports the WDJFL is not all that steady with numbers dwindling there too.

Up until the end of 2010 there were no merger talks with Yarragon, at least not in my time at the club. There were merger talks with Ellinbank in 1996. That is the only time I know of that the club had talks with anyone.

My solution would be to grab one of the clubs out of the WDJFL and play them as the early games. Warragul Blues, for example, would be asked to join the EDFL and play as their own club as the curtain raiser for the reserves and seniors and just follow Darnum around with the draw. They could at least field a 4ths and 5ths with a view to helping begin a 3rds as players move on and get older. Not as silly as it sounds as from some reports the WDJFL is not all that steady with numbers dwindling there too.

Ellinbank did something similar with Warranor for a few years I think. Good idea but would be hard to convince one of the junior teams to leave that league and join back up with the EDFL, worth a shot though.

Do colts still have U/14 and U/12 teams in the WDJFL as well as dusties having teams in the EDFL? This could be a reason darnum struggle so much for kids these days, extra U/14 and U/12 teams at dusties and ellinbank that werent there 10 years ago.

If the club cant survive on its own beyond this year they would have to consider a merger, wouldnt be good for the league but better than losing a club completely.

Yeah I agree with that. But its easier to agree when you dont have an involvement there any more. Clubs will and should, I suppose, try anything they can to survive on their own, I guess.

Some might suggest that Patto paying the dough for a premiership has ruined the club but the fact is that the club has struggled for number in junior grades for a long time. And I dont really subscribe to Roger Gwynne's theory that the club pushed juniors away when he got those players to the club, because the guys that missed out on games in the twos over those years were playing seniors in 2006 and were the fundamental reason we were getting belted by 40 goals by you blokes. He couldnt have been further from the truth.

Its one thing to be sitting around 4th-5th on the ladder and bringing in 10-12 players to win a flag, but completely another to bring in 10-12 or even 15 players when the club is being belted from pillar to post.

Patto did a lot for the juniors including providing club logo'd bags, shorts, socks and in some cases with new juniors, boots to all players. Effectively, it cost them nothing to play football.

We need to face facts. People dont have 3-4 kids anymore where 1,2 or 3 of them were boys and all wanted to play footy. People barely have 1-2 kids these days and wait until they are well into their early/late 30s to do so. After they have had kids, they find they have to work 2 jobs or long hours with the cost of living rising and the costs to bring up those kids. They have been out of footy for a while and have found other things in life so dont push their kids into footy.

I have seen it in Moe. There used to be 3 junior clubs in Moe fielding U10, U12 and U14 teams each. All 3 clubs had easily enough numbers. I coached Moe Colts in 1996 and had 42 players in my under 11 side.

In 2011 there were 2 clubs left and their certainly wasnt 42 kids to pick from between those 2 under 10 teams. This year those 2 clubs have merged and there are just enough numbers for a team each. One of those teams still has no coach and the 1st game starts this weekend.

Yallourn Nth have always had reasonable numbers yet in Thursday's LV Express, President Darren Anderson was pleading with people in the community to get their kids (boys or girls) into footy as they are struggling in all 3 of their grades, for numbers.

It's happening all over.

54 clearances into the EDFL from the South East Juniors. Clubs represented as follows:

Cora Lynn: 25
Koo Wee Rup: 7
Nar Nar Goon: 7
Bunyip: 3
Nyora: 3
Longwarry: 2
Catani: 2
Ellinbank: 2
Lang Lang: 1
Garfield: 1
Nilma Darnum: 1 (former Darnum player anyway)

Compare to the distribution of the WDJFL players (57) into the EDFL:

Garfield: 24
Ellinbank: 11
Bunyip: 11
Buln Buln: 3
Longwarry: 3
Warragul Ind: 3
Neerim Sth: 2

Kind of hard to believe that there are only 111 junior players that move into an age group represented in the EDFL. That's 7.4 kids per club. Unsustainable. Neerim Sth aside, due to their ability to attract junior players naturally, The 4 other Warragul dependent clubs (Nilma Darnum, Ellinbank, Buln Buln and Warragul Ind.) have attracted only 20 players. Barely enough to field one team.

There are greater issues at work than whether Darnum have treated junior players correctly or not.

I think there will be more trouble ahead for other Warragul based clubs, including Longwarry. Darnum, whilst having the writing on the wall, will only be the tip of the iceberg, in my opinion.

I think the sooner the league splits, the better it will be because parents wont be travelling as far to play an away game. It is far easier to sit on the couch than it is to get up with the sparrows to front up to Lang Lang or Koo Wee Rup.

Just my take on it all, anyway.

You make some good points about the juniors, one problem is that Darnum had no one coming from the WDJFL. In the past kids that finished under 14's in the WDJFL would go from.

Colts - Dusties
Warranor - Ellinbank
Blues - Warragul Gulls
Hallora - ???
Drouin - Drouin/Buln/Bunyip/Longwarry??

Normally the lowest junior age is easiest to attract players but with ours being U/13s and WDJFL being U/10s once you lose the kids to start with you never get them back.

Do you think Darnum could try to start up juniors again with U/10s or U/12s in the Warragul league as a way of keeping them? Get the kids before they have any affiliation to another club??

Cora Lynn have done this very well in the South East juniors, Ellinbank did it with Warranor and Garfield have done it as well.

We are good to go for this year, the delegates voted to keep us in the league and incurr no fine. Nilma Darnum did have a team in thw WDJFL but when the EDFL made the clubs field 4ths and 5ths that team obviously just went straight into the EDFL. Every idea to get kids is always a good one but sustaining a long term one so this doesnt happen again is the hard part, The numbers that Plugger has put up are quiet alarming. Most of our juniors we lost to either Yarragon or Dusties over the last few years by the sound of it.

I dont think the numbers plugger put up are alarming, i dont think they mean anything at all considering all EDFL clubs except for Darnum field u13 and u15.5 sides.
You would hope these sides along with getting a few kids from the Warragul league once they leave u/14 would be enough kids to field 3 junior sides.

I know all clubs split from the warragul league when the EDFL put in juniors. But since our bottom age has lifted to u13 and the WDJFL has bought in u10s its clearly been a lot harder for Darnum to get players. When they were both u12 it would have been a lot easier as you didnt have to try to get them from another club.

I dont know Leo, whether you can start up an under 10/12 team these days. There just isnt enough kids anymore. It is not strictly confined to the Warragul area either. Moe did not field a 3rds team last year and it remains to be seen as to whether they will be able to this year.

Once you lose a team like Moe have, you need to rely on a good 14-15 players to go up from the 4ths, bearing in mind that these players will be down-age players and will most likely be flogged every week. Keeping them interested is the hard bit because nobody wants to get slaughtered week-in, week-out.

One of the leagues up in the northern country have a cap on how many goals a side can get in front before the score is then null and void. They then split the teams evenly and the coaches then coach together to get a reasonably competitive game. We have bred a society of kids that all expect a 10th place ribbon if they come 10th in a 100m dash. They dont like to be flogged and go to something easier.

I'm not saying that we should be doing this at under 18 level, but it should be seriously considered at lower levels to encourage participation. If anything, the mixing of the teams in the above format allows the least talented footballers to play in a team, albeit briefly on the day, that has more talented footballers. It can also help their developement.

I watched Newborough 3rds and 4ths destroy sides last year and it was horrible watching it. It seems that having been on the receiving end of some beltings in the past has done nothing to my psyche to wish it the other way around.

Starting up new clubs is more for the ever expanding outer suburbs of Melbourne, not really the business of country football clubs. In reality, it is doomed to failure before it begins, I reckon.

Starting up u/10 and u/12s would be tought but without knowing much about Darnum I think its the only way they will survive. Need to start the bottom before the kids go somewhere else. Darnum never had problems with junior numbers in the old WDJFL days because all the kids started at U/12s, they didnt have another option.

I know nyora we often struggle for numbers in most age groups but at least u/13s is the first age group they can play after Auskick so we dont have the issue of losing them.

In the Warragul area aswell over the last few years there has been a massive swell in numbers into Soccer aswell, Not sure of the amoint of teams but theres about 3 in each age group up until under 16's i think. Back in the old days you could start playing footy at the age of 7 or 8 in the under 12s, i know i did and alot of people my age that still play did but now its frowned upon. Times have changed and i think its not just upto the clubs but the league aswell to look toward the future almost every club has low number in atleast 1 age group most 2 age groups, there are at least 2 getting forfeitted every week atm.

I know it's off the topic, but seeing round 2 is approaching, round 3 for some, any tips for the round?

Bunyip v Dusties (Tight one! Forwards too strong with Bunyip key defenders missing)
Catani v Buln Buln (Owi to kick 15!!)
Cora Lynn v Neerim South (CL will be benchmark)
Ellinbank v Longwarry (???? home ground advantage)
KWR v Lang Lang (Tight one! Walker to dominate game, KWR hard to beat at home)
NNG v Garfield (Home ground advantage)
Poowong v Nyora (Nyora by 6)

Wow been reading this forum for a while now, and it seems to me that you need some more intel.... just saying.

Not back tracking i will look ahead to this weeks games in the EDFL.

BULN BULN v ELLINBANK - Both these teams are way out of there depth when i comes to being competitive against the big guns, but this game has the potential to be a close(r) one. Both teams struggle for pace and with the Lyrebirds bringing in Dale Brew from the two's last week, indicates they are struggling forward also. With Tom Johnson kicking 10 last week Ellinbank by around 8 goals in the end.

GARFIELD V CATANI - Set to be a cracker and a test for Scanlons men against last years premiers. Learning Garfield were trying to recruit youngesters, after winning their flag last year, they are looking at keeping players long term rather than have a revolving door like most other highly placed teams in the competition. They have lost some clear pace and experience. Catani on the other hand, seem to have the midfield that will hit up big O in the goal square everytime. If the blues can punch through the lines he will be unstoppable in most games (as no one recruits or focuses on defenders in this comp) they will come home with the goods. Say 5 goals

LANG LANG v NILMA DARNUM - Not much to say here just that Lang Lang by enough. Should be plenty if they get their heads together and play as a complete unit. A lot of talk but no action over last 12 months. Batt and Nichols the key as they (like Catani) rely on them heavily. 10 goals plus (20+ if they are serious about it)

LONGWARRY V POOWONG - Two teams that this year are making up the numbers. The Pies need two maybe three Kael Burgles running around to really step up, as for the Crows the Holland boys give it their all most weeks and should help get their team over the line. 5 goals

NEERIM SOUTH V NAR NAR GOON - Easily MOTR. The south surprising some with a win over the Cobras (but once again the Cobras defense is their weakness) but with more than one avenue to goal seem to be top four material again, even after loosing Urie who may pop up second half of the year. They play for each other and aren't controlled by the coin like some of the other top teams in the comp. The Goon seem to be back on track after a really unlucky season last year and without Dore on the weekend brushed aside the Stars. Both teams are contenders, but the Goon only just.

NYORA V BUNYIP - Nyora seem to be still dreaming of days past with no real look into the future. Having Brad Miles back does help a little, but to be competitive they need more drive and need to be able to run defensively. In saying that the dogs are really struggling after the hammering they got thanks to the Dusties. Their defense also seems to struggle with bigger bodies and their forward line is very thin. But their midfield should prevail and get them on the winners list. 8 goals dogs

DUSTIES V KOO WEE RUP - Dusties have recruited big numbers over the preseason with results showing in both grades, remember the depth problem they had last year? Well just look at their two's list and you'll see several senior players from last year wondering around @ midday. Some may say 'buying a flag' (which if you look closely at the Dusties and Cora Lynn, is their heart in it or are their hands out???) I may agree to an extent, but they have recruited majority local players, so who knows if they will stick around. Speaking of coin the demon's have thrown a lot around, it maybe at one bloke, but the word was that they will be on this year. I think otherwise, they were tested by an underachieving Lang Lang last week and this week they will see what a contender is like. After the smacking the Dusties gave Bunyip a 100+ win isn't out of the question. Can the demons step up?

Final Ladder prediction
Dusties
Nar Nar Goon
Neerim South
Cora Lyn
Catani
Bunyip
--------------
Garfield (remember it happend to the Goon last year)
Lang Lang
Koo Wee Rup
Ellinbank
Longwarry
Poowong
Nyora
Buln Buln
Nilma Darnum

Remember this is an opinion.... free to hear others, but if people get one eyed and abusive i'll vanish as quick as i arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back