Premier Lg EPL Matchday 1 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Only played his first premier league game at the age of 27.

Has now moved into top 15 premier league scorers of all time. While playing for Leicester. Unbelievable really.
No doubt one of the great stories and great strikers of the modern era. And he's a complete shithouse too, what more could you want?

Only played his first premier league game at the age of 27.

Has now moved into top 15 premier league scorers of all time. While playing for Leicester. Unbelievable really.

Might have to put a double on him winning golden boot and you guys winning the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where would you guys have Vardy all time strikers wise in the PL?

Top 15 or somewhere around that?
442.com had a top 20 list 2 days ago for the last 32 years of the EPL, their top 15 was;
15. Robbie Fowler 379 games 163 goals
14. Robin van Persie 280 games 144 goals
13. Fernando Torres 212 games 85 goals
12. Ian Wright 213 games 113 goals
11. Luis Suarez 110 games 69 goals
10. Erling Haaland 67 games 64 goals
9. Andy Cole 414 games 187 goals
8. Eric Cantona 156 games 70 goals
7. Harry Kane 320 games 213 goals
6. Dennis Bergkamp 315 games 87 goals
5. Didier Drogba 254 games 104 goals
4. Wayne Rooney 491 games 208 goals
3. Sergio Aguero 275 games 184 goals
2. Alan Shearer 441 games 260 goals
1. Thierry Henry 258 games 175 goals

Vardy has 308 appearances for 137 goals.

Haaland is probably a bit low on the list for my liking, he will be top 10 I just think he needs more games. Once he hits 100+ games for City then it goes from "is he top 10" to "where in the top 10 does he finish?"

Who would you swap him out for? I would probably be looking at Fernando Torres if it was me.
Vardy has more appearances, more goals, more assists, was crucial to his team winning the league, won the player of the season award in that title winning team and has a golden boot, all things Torres didn't achieve.

Swap Vardy for Torres, and then have Vardy at 11 ahead of Suarez/Wright/RvP/Fowler.

442.com had a top 20 list 2 days ago for the last 32 years of the EPL, their top 15 was;

Haaland is probably a bit low on the list for my liking, he will be top 10 I just think he needs more games. Once he hits 100+ games for City then it goes from "is he top 10" to "where in the top 10 does he finish?"

Who would you swap him out for? I would probably be looking at Fernando Torres if it was me.
Vardy has more appearances, more goals, more assists, was crucial to his team winning the league, won the player of the season award in that title winning team and has a golden boot, all things Torres didn't achieve.

Swap Vardy for Torres, and then have Vardy at 11 ahead of Suarez/Wright/RvP/Fowler.
suarez being in there is laughable. like 60 of those goals are against norwich.

I guess it comes down to longevity vs peak.

In no world am I ever taking Vardy over Torres or Fowler at their peak. On that list of 15, I dont even know if there is a better finisher than Robbie, I'd have him easily over Wright, Torres, Van Persie, Cantona, Bergkamp, Drogba...

But I think people weigh in team achievements etc. Not sure why Bergkamp is on that list either, he's not really a striker is he and even then if you want to count him as one, having him 6th is mind boggling.

The list also obviously doesnt count Mo as a striker which is strange when it considers Bergkamp as one who is further away from a striker than I'd say Mo is even though I consider Mo a winger anyways.

But yeah back to Vardy, its longevity vs peak. If you heavily favour longevity and team awards then he makes top 15 but if you just consider peak and ability I think he's somewhere in the 15-20 range IMO.

In no world am I ever taking Vardy over Torres or Fowler at their peak. On that list of 15, I dont even know if there is a better finisher than Robbie, I'd have him easily over Wright, Torres, Van Persie, Cantona, Bergkamp, Drogba...

But I think people weigh in team achievements etc. Not sure why Bergkamp is on that list either, he's not really a striker is he and even then if you want to count him as one, having him 6th is mind boggling.

The list also obviously doesnt count Mo as a striker which is strange when it considers Bergkamp as one who is further away from a striker than I'd say Mo is even though I consider Mo a winger anyways.

But yeah back to Vardy, its longevity vs peak. If you heavily favour longevity and team awards then he makes top 15 but if you just consider peak and ability I think he's somewhere in the 15-20 range IMO.
I think the difference in eras is the issue too, Bergkamp was often a "striker" on paper because in a 4-4-2 he was up top with Wright/Henry, but he often dropped deep.

End of the day its really just opinions, if someone said would Vardy be top 15 I would probably say yes then hope someone doesn't ask me to name the other 14 :sweatsmile:

Not sure I'd have him ahead of Wright, or even Suarez for that matter. 14 or 15 is probably acceptable IMO.

I think Kane needs to be much higher up. As a pure striker, he is ahead of Drogba and Bergkamp. Wouldn't be mad if someone had him second or third. His output was nuts.

Last edited:

I think the other difficult thing is to try and evaluate how these other strikers would've gone playing in a team that was top 4. We obviously had some good seasons but Vardy wasn't getting the delivery that a lot of these strikers were getting.

Incredibly hard to answer hypotheticals but you'd have to think Vardy would've scored more had he moved to a top team, how many of the others still score as many if playing for a club like Leicester?

To even have him in the top 15 conversation considering his career, it's a fantastic achievement.

I think the other difficult thing is to try and evaluate how these other strikers would've gone playing in a team that was top 4. We obviously had some good seasons but Vardy wasn't getting the delivery that a lot of these strikers were getting.

Incredibly hard to answer hypotheticals but you'd have to think Vardy would've scored more had he moved to a top team, how many of the others still score as many if playing for a club like Leicester?

To even have him in the top 15 conversation considering his career, it's a fantastic achievement.
It is certainly a fantastic achievement considering he never played for a traditional top club but that can IMO also kinda be held against him. If he was "that" good, why didnt he end up at an Arsenal or Chelsea or United etc...

IMO he has always been sort of the best of the next level down. Top of the bunch of players that include guys like Les Ferdinand, Robbie Keane, Defoe, Hasselbaink, Viduka, Yakubu, LeTissier, Bent etc

But you're right in thinking that Vardy would probably have gone extremely well at a top club, much the same as the guys I just listed above and it's often circumstance or just lack or opportunity for those guys to make it to a top club.

I mean I'd say Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and Utd are the biggest teams in England and teams like that would have spots for probably two absolute top strikers so that's just 10 spots. So if you're not in and around the 10 best strikers in the league, you end up at smaller clubs.

How do you get a gig at Liverpool when Owen and Fowler are already there, RVN and Rooney or Yorke and Cole at United, Drogba and Anelka at Chelsea, Henry and Bergkamp at Arsenal, Aguero at City... it's tough for a guy like Vardy to get that move, same for guys like Bent, Yakubu, Viduka etc

It is certainly a fantastic achievement considering he never played for a traditional top club but that can IMO also kinda be held against him. If he was "that" good, why didnt he end up at an Arsenal or Chelsea or United etc...

IMO he has always been sort of the best of the next level down. Top of the bunch of players that include guys like Les Ferdinand, Robbie Keane, Defoe, Hasselbaink, Viduka, Yakubu, LeTissier, Bent etc

But you're right in thinking that Vardy would probably have gone extremely well at a top club, much the same as the guys I just listed above and it's often circumstance or just lack or opportunity for those guys to make it to a top club.

I mean I'd say Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and Utd are the biggest teams in England and teams like that would have spots for probably two absolute top strikers so that's just 10 spots. So if you're not in and around the 10 best strikers in the league, you end up at smaller clubs.

How do you get a gig at Liverpool when Owen and Fowler are already there, RVN and Rooney or Yorke and Cole at United, Drogba and Anelka at Chelsea, Henry and Bergkamp at Arsenal, Aguero at City... it's tough for a guy like Vardy to get that move, same for guys like Bent, Yakubu, Viduka etc
Arsenal wanted him - he almost signed with them as well.

van Nistelrooy! He most definitely needs to be in this list, potentially even top 5. 150 goals in 219 games is bonkers. Absurdly good.

Arsenal wanted him - he almost signed with them as well.

Yeah as I said, the same with guys like Viduka, Bent, Yakubu, Ferdinand, it's more a case of opportunity and timing to get to that bigger club. Those guys just like Vardy had the talent you'd think to go well at a top club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premier Lg EPL Matchday 1 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back