Recommitted Eric Mackenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Game has gone past stoppers, need attacking flair now if you want to be a good fullback. Rance, Adams, Talia, Lever, Pearce, Weitering, Mcdonald
Not sure about that.

A consistent shut-down key defender is still pretty valuable.

I'd take Mackenzie at his peak over most other key defenders in the game at the moment.

Game has gone past stoppers, need attacking flair now if you want to be a good fullback. Rance, Adams, Talia, Lever, Pearce, Weitering, Mcdonald
was top 5 in the comp in 2014 for intercept marks. he averaged 15 disposals , 6 marks and 3 rebound 50's a game. The issue at the moment is his kicking and adjusting to the eagles defensive system. I dont think he's a horrible kick but when he has confidence he generally kicks within his limits. I want to keep emac but his issue at the moment is that he has 0 confidence in his body (lost a lot of size) and his ability to play our style.

Was probably a bit hasty with the game going past shutdown defenders but they probably aren't worth as much anymore, Eagles should keep Mckenzie anyway even if he will be depth. + as posted earlier he has the ability to probably go AA, doubt they would trade him just coming off a knee reco anyway

If Mackenzie was fit and in form he'd be worth plenty.

His knee injury is the issue, not the value of 'shutdown defenders' generally.

Yea well said, its just his movement that's his problem at the moment.
He's not as balanced as he was before the knee injury.
But is getting better each week at wafl level, and is staring to get his run back.
His kicking is already better at east perth, I think the plan is to give him a extended run in the wafl.
He may come back to play on Cloke at the mcg
He will via for the BF next year, when he's done another preseason.

Yea well said, its just his movement that's his problem at the moment.
He's not as balanced as he was before the knee injury.
But is getting better each week at wafl level, and is staring to get his run back.
His kicking is already better at east perth, I think the plan is to give him a extended run in the wafl.
He may come back to play on Cloke at the mcg
He will via for the BF next year, when he's done another preseason.
what is your ideal defensive set up for us going forward? I prefer Emac, Barrass and Gov to any other formation. Emac's aerial game is unbelievable and his reading of the play is elite as well. I think having three players in defence like that is a massive. It could also mean that we can push gov forward more often.

what is your ideal defensive set up for us going forward? I prefer Emac, Barrass and Gov to any other formation. Emac's aerial game is unbelievable and his reading of the play is elite as well. I think having three players in defence like that is a massive. It could also mean that we can push gov forward more often.
They'd be my preferred talls too but it probably depends on what team we're playing/potential match ups to a degree as Schofield is a bit quicker and more agile.

Looking at and Emac, Gov, Barass set up, good luck being a tall against that line up.

Mckenzie is much better suited to 1 on 1 rather than the zone (Web ) defensive system we run at the moment . Seems a bit lost guarding space .
Pretty sure he made the AA 40 man squad twice and was very unlucky not to get AA in 2014 . I put it down to bias idiots like frawley and Bartlett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good thing you're not our list manager.

Mackenzie is having a poor season coming back from a knee reco but is still our best key defender and won't be traded unless someone offers something really, really good.

He's 28 so you're not going to get anything seriously good for him.

He's 28 so you're not going to get anything seriously good for him.

GWS traded pick 21 for Joel Patfull (30). Hawthorn paid big money for James Frawley (26). Cale Hooker (28) was supposedly worth $900k to leave Essendon. Henderson (26) went for a future first round pick.

There's no chance we'd just let him go for pick 30 or something.

GWS traded pick 21 for Joel Patfull (30). Hawthorn paid big money for James Frawley (26). Cale Hooker (28) was supposedly worth $900k to leave Essendon. Henderson (26) went for a future first round pick.

There's no chance we'd just let him go for pick 30 or something.
None of those players had just come off an ACL and showed signs of slowing down, I don't think anyone would offer much more than a pick in the late 20's early 30's for him.

They were close but I still had Rance ahead. Rance and Hooker were the 2 best KPD's of 2014 imo.
At the time there were a lot of conversations of Rance vs Mackenzie and the usual VicBias. Hooker wasn't in the conversation. I'd have him third as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Eric Mackenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back