Recommitted Esava Ratugolea [OOC 2023] - Ended up staying at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't seem anywhere for him now with Hawkins, Cameron, Blicavs, Stanley and Ceglar.

Be interesting if anyone puts their hand up, considering a team would likely get him for minimum chips. Perhaps a team like St Kilda as a stop-gap Ryder replacement who could help out King and Marshall?
Was mentioned on our board today. As you said, he would be a good fit as a potential Ryder replacement next year. Even if it as a back-up, he could fill in up forward and in the ruck so would work well with Marshall.

Was mentioned on our board today. As you said, he would be a good fit as a potential Ryder replacement next year. Even if it as a back-up, he could fill in up forward and in the ruck so would work well with Marshall.
Don't think he's ever going to have the tank to be a full time ruck.

He's being tried down back in the vfl, and though I've not watched him myself the initial reports are above expectations. I had low expectations though

Don't think he's ever going to have the tank to be a full time ruck.

He's being tried down back in the vfl, and though I've not watched him myself the initial reports are above expectations. I had low expectations though
Even short stints in the ruck during games would help Marshall out a lot throughout a season.

He had some nice moments against Sandy today when playing on Campbell so I just presume he was playing ruck but him trialing in defence is interesting. I can see a lot of clubs being interested in someone of his size who can play both ends.

Even short stints in the ruck during games would help Marshall out a lot throughout a season.

He had some nice moments against Sandy today when playing on Campbell so I just presume he was playing ruck but him trialing in defence is interesting. I can see a lot of clubs being interested in someone of his size who can play both ends.
I mean he can do that then, but it'll be a journey with him. I think the cats will want to give him a year to prove himself as a defender but if the saints offer him senior football opportunities who are we to stand in his way

Giants wanted him 2 years ago he didnt want to go but hes further down the pecking order now so he might want any club for more gametime.

Limited trade value at best ie R3 or 4 its more about freeing up a list spot for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Hawk doing next year? Seems like he would slot straight into his spot.

Hawk has advised he is playing on next year which is partly why sav would leave for more gametime (isnt getting immediate gametime with hawkins cameron and rohan there). Neale is also probably ahead of him long term (unless neale goes home).

We have been trialling him as a key defender which is partly as we lack kpds but also to see if theres another position he can make the side in.

Port desperately needs a key defender with Ratugolea's attributes. I havent seen him play in defence, but can't see him getting much gametime if he plays forward/ ruck.

Hes only played defence for the last 6 or so weeks in the vfl but looked decent. Kicking a work in progress but intercept marking and positioning quite good.

Hes only played defence for the last 6 or so weeks in the vfl but looked decent. Kicking a work in progress but intercept marking and positioning quite good.

I'd take the punt on him. I assume Geelong are pretty tight for list numbers. I really think being a defender at whatever club is going to be his best chance to play regular afl. Lot's of clubs are looking for tall defenders and the cupboard is pretty bare.

I'd take the punt on him. I assume Geelong are pretty tight for list numbers. I really think being a defender at whatever club is going to be his best chance to play regular afl. Lot's of clubs are looking for tall defenders and the cupboard is pretty bare.

We are very tight for list numbers as both close and atkins are best 22 as rookies and have to be elevated (so that takes up 2 senior list spots) and aside from a couple of senior retirements (dahl,higgins, probably selwood)we dont have a lot of obvious delistings. If we trade in a couple of players like hopper or bruhn the list numbers will be super tight. So im expecting a couple of contracted fringe guys to get traded to open up list spots.

I think at some clubs esava would get a gig now as a kpf but i do think playing kpd is probably his most likely route to regular afl games anywhere.

Yeah if I were Ratugolea I would leave if a team offered me a contract. He is going to struggle to break into that side unless say De Koning gets injured. There are plenty of teams that need a tall defender or even a second forward and he would be worth having a punt on. Wouldn't cost much.

I'd love Port to have a punt.

He can be our new Wylie Buzza.

he’s always been pretty good at positioning but glad to hear he finally grabs the intercept marks

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Esava Ratugolea [OOC 2023] - Ended up staying at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back