Recommitted Esava Ratugolea [OOC 2023] - Ended up staying at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Port desperately needs a key defender with Ratugolea's attributes. I havent seen him play in defence, but can't see him getting much gametime if he plays forward/ ruck.
Would have thought Port were after more a lockdown type of defender... to free up Aliir Aliir.

Would have thought Port were after more a lockdown type of defender... to free up Aliir Aliir.
Bit early to say what kind of defender Sav will be but I would have thought lockdown would be his go. Not sure he reads the play particularly well so it helps if the oppo forward reads it for him

Bit early to say what kind of defender Sav will be but I would have thought lockdown would be his go. Not sure he reads the play particularly well so it helps if the oppo forward reads it for him
Imo, there are plenty of clubs in need of a forward/ruckman & Sav would be better off targeting one of these. Port already have 2 of these types.

Port need a lockdown key defender & there are better options around who have played defence most of their career.

Can't see where he'd fit in Suns best 22?

Guess the thinking was Caleb Graham who is a whipping boy played 15 games this year.
Thompson is done
VFL key defenders Murtagh almost certainly to get delisted.

Leaves Collins. Ballard, Graham, Brock, Andrew as tall defenders on the list - most the gangly, skinny types.
Esava could add a stronger body to the mix.

Imo, there are plenty of clubs in need of a forward/ruckman & Sav would be better off targeting one of these. Port already have 2 of these types.

Port need a lockdown key defender & there are better options around who have played defence most of their career.

I agree Port needs a big lockdown key defender. Who are the better options? I really can't think of many options. I dont think Sav is instinctive enough to be a good forwardc/ ruck at afl level. He definitely has the physical tools to be a defender.

I agree Port needs a big lockdown key defender. Who are the better options? I really can't think of many options. I dont think Sav is instinctive enough to be a good forwardc/ ruck at afl level. He definitely has the physical tools to be a defender.
Melican or Logue?

Athlete more than footballer. Didn't have the footy smarts to be an effective forward. Maybe it will be better from him following someone down back

Agree and i think thats why we are playing him there.

Gees I hope the Saints are talking to him?
I've always thought Saints would be a very good fit, given they arguably need coverage at KPF, KPD and ruck.

Just having another big body to take the focus off Max King would be a big bonus, considering you'd get him for minimum chips.

Have Geelong ever let a player go that's gone on to a decent career elsewhere?

My thoughts are that if Geelong are trading out, walk away
Lincoln McCarthy has hardly missed a game in 4 seasons since coming to the Lions and played some bloody good footy along the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always thought Saints would be a very good fit, given they arguably need coverage at KPF, KPD and ruck.

Just having another big body to take the focus off Max King would be a big bonus, considering you'd get him for minimum chips.

I agree with that for a late R3/r4 he would be an ok depth option for them.

No footy smarts. Over hyped, not much chop. He can't play well in a good team, won't do much anywhere else.

He was really good in a game against Richmond a few years ago. A final from memory. Has good hands. Can kick a goal. Haven’t really seen much of him since.

He was really good in a game against Richmond a few years ago. A final from memory. Has good hands. Can kick a goal. Haven’t really seen much of him since.
That was his best game, if you go check footy tables you'll see it was an outlier. I don’t trust him as a forward but he's good to absorb a defender. If you just need someone to take a defender off Lynch then play him deep and try make sure he's left 1:1. May just be a fresh start

I reckon it was the game we won during 2019. From memory you were all over us early and he took a few big marks and kicked 2 to turn the game. He went off injured when I reckon he was close to BOG at that point. Story of his career. Showed glimpses of massive talent but injury means he's never really got continuity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Esava Ratugolea [OOC 2023] - Ended up staying at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back