AFL Autopsy Ess 12.9.81 def by NM 14.9.93

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say no fade out this year is a massive positive.
Not sure if it's natural progression or the game style that M.Thompson has/had us playing. I am a massive Hirdy fan but I really want bomber to coach this team to glory.

How do you look at this season and go 'yes, that style is what I want this team playing regularly'?

Gotta say no fade out this year is a massive positive.
Not sure if it's natural progression or the game style that M.Thompson has/had us playing. I am a massive Hirdy fan but I really want bomber to coach this team to glory.
*regression

Not sure how we expect better next year. Fell into the 8 this year and can't see much room for improvement. Dumb footballers still making same mistakes year after year. We are as fit as a country footy side with some players with skills to match.

I really believe Hird can coach but it will be a monumental effort to turn this team around.
We can expect better for several reasons:
1. We did better last year (more wins, better %)
2. Gleeson, Ashby, Daniher, Z Merrett, J Merrett, Fantasia will all be better for their experience this year
3. The only players we may possibly lose in the off-season are Winders and maybe Ryder
4. Tbell will hopefully have a better pre-season and get back to his best
5. We are unlikely to lose our captain for half the season again next year
6. BJ and Chappy look like they can give one more year, same with Winders
7. Hird is a better coach (like seriously.. yes he is)
8. Myers, Zaka and Heppell all look set to explode into true A-graders
9. Hurley will return to the forward line.. and/or play a floating role with Carlisle
10. Carlise will get back to form playing in the backline and go back to being near AA or maybe even AA
11. One way or the other.. we will be finished with the ASADA stuff
12. The media scrutiny has to be less at some point..

So next year is going to be special imho.

We got cut up like butter for about 10 minutes as they blitzed through the midfield. Blame Steinberg all you want for that but he is currently wearing the blame for a lapsed team effort.
agree. lost it in the middle. backline stood up for most the game tonight, but were exposed far too often.

We got cut up like butter for about 10 minutes as they blitzed through the midfield. Blame Steinberg all you want for that but he is currently wearing the blame for a lapsed team effort.

I think the criticism is unfair as he can't help it if all of a sudden North's midfield are free to run across the middle with next to no pressure.

We pressured them really well until half-time then just went flat in the third but credit is due to North for lifting but we should have expected them to lift.

Why is Steinberg getting all the hate? What about Hooker letting Petrie kick the last two goals? and not taking a single mark for the match. Easy to blame the new kid but some of the so called older blokes shouldn't escape the criticism.
He isn't getting all the hate. The hate is on Bomber for not making a move.

S
How do you take a gutsy team on the up, add a ******* phenomenal Norm Smith Medallist and in the process remove its spine?

It's not a ******* secret, we knew about it in rd 2 and it was confirmed by rd 5.
Something went awry this year but can't figure it out....have to remember that draw last year was very soft....only team we beat of any note was Freo early and weren't even close to good teams. Far more competitive against good teams this year...but this inconsistency was always there....maybe it's not Bomber, I suspect we have some players too fragile for the best teams and biggest stages.

Its kinda hard to tell from our last 2 years of footy where last year we were still in the early stages of development where we trained our asses off early and were spent late. Compared to this year where we were trained to finish off the year strong.

My personal oppinion is that Hirdy can get the players up more so than Bomber.
#standbyhird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the events of the previous year, the instability of switching senior coaches, the mental and emotion strain that the previous eighteen months have had on the entirety of the playing group, the fact that we made finals is a wonderful achievement. This was a tremendously frustrating season in that we dropped winnable games against lesser opposition, we managed to blow big leads against quality sides, and now we've put in a two quarter effort in a finals appearance that's been essentially eighteen months in the making. We're all upset, we're all disappointed and we're all hurting equally, but the fact that we got a taste of September is going to be so beneficial for this squad going forward. Let's welcome back Hirdy and attack the 2015 season with confidence and optimism. The consistency will come.

If Stanton is getting heat then where is the same for Zaharakis or Myers?

Both were putrid tonight yet because Stants is the whipping buy, he cops it with these two getting off without question.

Zaka was wearing runners as he went to ground far too easily & Myers does sweet **** all but squeez little 35m kicks out of a pack to no one.

Trade either of these before Stants ...

anyone who blames Steinberg needs a card for a few hours,,
FWIW.. in case I wasn't clear in my anger.. I am not 'blaming' Steinberg.. he is a 3rd game player..

I am blaming the coaches for selecting him, and then blaming the coaches for allowing him to remain on a guy that had him done cold 3 times in 6 minutes for too long.

These are coaching errors.. and also Steinberg wasn't up to finals footy with his shocking disposal and lack of composure, which should have meant he wasn't selected.

S
Something went awry this year but can't figure it out....have to remember that draw last year was very soft....only team we beat of any note was Freo early and weren't even close to good teams. Far more competitive against good teams this year...but this inconsistency was always there....maybe it's not Bomber, I suspect we have some players too fragile for the best teams and biggest stages.

Too many players who havent lost a close final/been in a position to win a final.

anyone who blames Steinberg needs a card for a few hours,,
Was it a coincidence that when Hurley went to him he became irrelevant? I don't think so. Steinberg was poor, I'm not blaming him for the loss but he was definitely one of our worst players tonight. The fact that Hibberd went to Black when Hurley went to Brown says it all.

We can expect better for several reasons:
1. We did better last year (more wins, better %)
2. Gleeson, Ashby, Daniher, Z Merrett, J Merrett, Fantasia will all be better for their experience this year
3. The only players we may possibly lose in the off-season are Winders and maybe Ryder
4. Tbell will hopefully have a better pre-season and get back to his best
5. We are unlikely to lose our captain for half the season again next year
6. BJ and Chappy look like they can give one more year, same with Winders
7. Hird is a better coach (like seriously.. yes he is)
8. Myers, Zaka and Heppell all look set to explode into true A-graders
9. Hurley will return to the forward line.. and/or play a floating role with Carlisle
10. Carlise will get back to form playing in the backline and go back to being near AA or maybe even AA
11. One way or the other.. we will be finished with the ASADA stuff
12. The media scrutiny has to be less at some point..

So next year is going to be special imho.

The commentators seems to believe Licka is thinking of playing on, suggesting that Licka has been talking about it to the club.

Further too missing Ambrose, we missed both Fletch and Jake tonight.

He isn't getting all the hate. The hate is on Bomber for not making a move.

Wouldn't have mattered, North had all the running in that third quarter and created scoring chances, If Brown didn't kick them then someone else would have, just like Petrie did on Hooker at the end.

Jesus Hird Christ. This thread has jumped the shark. Blame the third gamer Steinberg. Blame the guy who does exactly what he is told to do each and every of the last 200 games he has played. blame the AA full back who may have has his hands full tonight. We had a crack and came up short and are better for the finals experience. Get behind us for next year. Don't ****ing turn now you ****ers.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Ess 12.9.81 def by NM 14.9.93

Remove this Banner Ad

Back