Club Focus Essendon 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Did you not learn anything from Melbourne. Playing a ruck permanent fwd doesn't work, for short spurts ok but never full time. Gawn is far more accomplished than draper fwd of centre and he lost form and then so did Grundy.

Not sure we need king, shannon neale is coming along very nicely for us, we need midfield presence, which is improving each game as we watch bruhn and Clark and even Bowes grow.

Melbournes issue is that both Gawn (and Grundy last season) were/are terrible forwards.

Draper isn’t that good of a ruck. But for whatever reason he’s got goal sense and he’s probably a better FF then ruck.

His set shot is an issue but he’s got ground skills and can crumb/create and is pretty good at getting the ball to ground in a pack situation.

As for King to Geelong. I just assumed you’d be interested in a 24 year old Tom Hawkins replacement. I’m not that familiar with your depth just know that you will have a big role to fill when Tom retires at years end

In terms of getting King/Trac/whoever.

They are good players. They’d help if it wasn’t cost prohibitive.

If Parish + Wright was enough to get Trac you’d do it. But Melbourne would want far more than that so it wouldn’t be worth it.

This years first for Ben King straight up (or maybe + future 3rd) would be about all we’d want to pay

Then trade Draper for your good ball using 186+ mature body mid/HB
Throw in Draper for 188 mid/HB type (think Jack crisp but younger).

Thing is other teams would offer far more King/Trac then would be sensible for Essendon to pay. (north, Dees and Geelong could use King badly and have more capital to spend)

I’m also keen to see Draper play another year at FF. If he could improve his set shot he does a lot of good things there and Draper/Caddy/Langford is a working Forward group just needs 3+ pressure players/smalls with them. Especially with Jones/Martin/Dursma adding a goal threat from the wing.
You also can't get guns for nothing. You have a plethora of mids you can use as well. You've shown you play well without parish, Hobbs and tsaris are good trade bait plus your first this year and Bryan

You also can't get guns for nothing. You have a plethora of mids you can use as well. You've shown you play well without parish, Hobbs and tsaris are good trade bait plus your first this year and Bryan

Using Hobbs and Tsatas as trade bait is pure stupidity. They have shown a lot at VFL level and just need AFL opportunities. Would be better to hold onto them and clear their path.

Bryan has established himself as the No1 ruck in the back half of the year. All 3 are required.

We’re getting 2 FRPs this season thanks to NGA match.

Parish, Wright and Stringer are the trade bait as they are all surplus to our needs and even taking unders on that Trio leaving would be more beneficial than throwing away the future on a pipe dream that would still have us worse then Brisbane, Goldcoast, Sydney, GWS (because of academy BS) Melbourne, Cats, Dogs, Pies, North, Hawks have all recently bought in high level talent for cheap via Fs/Academy/smart playerrecycling/tanking.

I get the need to take risks to move up but trading away a bunch of assets to gut our flexibility while building an unbalanced list is what hurt us the last decade. No need to repeat that

He's form this year is the same as Max king. Can't believe when your struggling forward of centre and you've got a guy that kicked 50 two years ago for a bottom side in the reserves.

Wright's gone, parish and either Hobbs or tsasis are trade bait. Bryan goes for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, shiel goes as well.

They should have played finals this year, it will hurt them trying to land a king or petracca in October
Bryan is not going

Man it would be the most Essington thing ever to think that we're just a Max King or a Petracca away from success and throw the draft future away to chase that dream. It hasn't worked for us the last four times but I guess maybe this time might be the ticket.

Man it would be the most Essington thing ever to think that we're just a Max King or a Petracca away from success and throw the draft future away to chase that dream. It hasn't worked for us the last four times but I guess maybe this time might be the ticket.
Now that Dodo is gone, I'd expect more measured decisions from the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We still lack a consistent key forward, a quick, goal kicking small forward and a second key defender
Draper - at least he competes. Bryan has the makings of an excellent long term ruck and looks ready
Kako - get him in round 1. Small forwards can play pretty quickly
Hayes - give him a taste this week and he might just need to be played before he's ready, at least he'll be fast-tracked

Grab a mid with the first selection this year (pre-Kako bid) and it's not all bad news.

Draper - at least he competes. Bryan has the makings of an excellent long term ruck and looks ready
Kako - get him in round 1. Small forwards can play pretty quickly
Hayes - give him a taste this week and he might just need to be played before he's ready, at least he'll be fast-tracked

Grab a mid with the first selection this year (pre-Kako bid) and it's not all bad news.
Draper is rumoured to have a big offer on the table from Adelaide. And is woefully inconsistent still.
Kako could be our guy but we're not 100% sure yet. He hasn't even gotten to the club yet.
Hayes we're bullish on but there are still things that he needs to work on.

We're overflowing with young mids. I'm keen to draft Jobe Shanahan somehow, possibly by bringing in a F1 through trading and then live trading it into this year after a Kako bid. Also keen to explore a potential Shiel for Caleb Daniel straight swap with you guys.

its not the key to the castle, but id throw alot at king tbh.

You'd be top 4 next year with petracca, he's in the top 5 players in the comp

No Chance.

We need to focus on our fwdline proper. Key target + small fwd. makes me sick we missed out on bobby hill. He requested trade to us and GWS said no. Next year he goes to Collingwood.

We have shown we can dominate games but simply cannot score from it as evident from the Swans game (well really, the entire year). Absolutely murdered them in the first half but nothing to show for it.

Petracca would be a great get, but won't fill those holes, especially for what he would cost us.

Mate you've being on prime time for a month I'm.surprised my TV had lasted with some of the dumb football things I've seen and selection calls.

This garbage Brad Scott is the man is garbage, find a Sam Mitchell
cAsEy_18 makes a good point.. Wright was a non entity when the ball hits the deck, was struggling to do anything than mark and kick for goal and even that first skill (marking) has let him down this year.

No one is denying he can play, everyone who knows anything about him knows he has been out of form

I wonder if Setterfield might be useful to a club lower down the table. Seems like a good type to hold the fort until young draft picks can develop their bodies to AFL standard.
Yeah he is pretty surplus to needs for us with Tsatas and Hobbs coming through, but he is definitely a solid AFL calibre midfielder.

The main issue has been getting him on the park though, which may cost him a contract spot.

Shiel for pick 46 will be done early in the trade period you would imagine.

Gives Essendon a chance to on trade that pick into next year so its not eaten up by the Kako bid.

32 year old, probably 2 years left in his career, OOC next year. This will be straight forward.

You'll have to forgive me for diverting to my club but Collingwood have made the Cox/Cameron combination quite successful since 2022 inclusive without playing either one as a primary forward. The main factor with these two is they're both very competent overhead. Cameron is an outstanding mark, and Cox although not a reliable mark is tall enough to at least get the ball to good spots if he can't clunk them.

Draper knows where the sticks are. I haven't seen enough of Bryan to know for sure if he's the type to take intercept marks in the back half. If he is, I think Essendon should look to use these two in tandem in a similar way for 2025+ if possible. Bryan is your prominent centre bounce and back half ruck, and Draper your forward half and occasional centre bounce ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Essendon 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back