Club Focus Essendon 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

You'll have to forgive me for diverting to my club but Collingwood have made the Cox/Cameron combination quite successful since 2022 inclusive without playing either one as a primary forward. The main factor with these two is they're both very competent overhead. Cameron is an outstanding mark, and Cox although not a reliable mark is tall enough to at least get the ball to good spots if he can't clunk them.

Draper knows where the sticks are. I haven't seen enough of Bryan to know for sure if he's the type to take intercept marks in the back half. If he is, I think Essendon should look to use these two in tandem in a similar way for 2025+ if possible. Bryan is your prominent centre bounce and back half ruck, and Draper your forward half and occasional centre bounce ruck.

There is some logic to that comparison.
The main two differences would be:

1) Bryan is not a contested mark at all. He’s mobile around the ground, so he’ll give you another something to maybe kick short to. But he’s not gonna go up and take contested grabs. Draper might, but Bryan won’t.

2) The thing with Cox is him marking the ball over his career has almost been a bonus. His role is to create a contest and at least bring the ball to ground. That’s where Elliott, Hill, Daicos x2, Schultz, McCreery and keep the list going over recent years have thrived.
Our small forwards are non-existent. We’re bringing the ball down to Menzie, Guelfi and alwyn Davey jr, none of whom are a threat to do anything. It’s one of the biggest weaknesses we have.

Still have 14 players out of contract. Luckily a fair chunk are depth, fringe or simply out of favour so the decisions could be simple. The one elephant in the room is Jake Stringer. Obviously a match winner and a guy we dont really have a similar type of but moving him on to get an early-is pick could help the list rebound quickly.

Currently have our first (top 10) a second (currently around 29) and then nothing until the 5th round (which likely comes into the 3rd)

Delist - Kaine Baldwin
Keep - Alwyn Davey Jnr
Rookie - Jayden Davey
Retire - Todd Goldstein
Delist - Matt Guelfi
Retired - Dyson Heppell
Delist - Nick Hind
Keep - Harrison Jones
Delist - Jake Kelly
Delist - Will Setterfield
Trade - Jake Stringer
Delist - Sam Weidemann

Delisted -Jaiden Hunter
50:50 - Tex Wanganeen

That could give us 8 senior list spots (Jye Menzie I believe moves to the senior list).

a first rounder before Kako (I want Sam Lalon)
Isaac Kako
Try to get a reasonable pick for Stringer inside 30 (get a key forward like Sims)
best available

Jayden Nguyễn (Cắt B rookie)

we have had some success with SSP selections so maybe leave another 1 or 2 spots for these and run extra rookies.

Maybe bring in a cheap DFA or bargain trade to pad out the list. Who knows as the list needs a clean out but I have reservations we will do this

He's form this year is the same as Max king. Can't believe when your struggling forward of centre and you've got a guy that kicked 50 two years ago for a bottom side in the reserves.

Wright's gone, parish and either Hobbs or tsasis are trade bait. Bryan goes for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, shiel goes as well.

They should have played finals this year, it will hurt them trying to land a king or petracca in October

No one is trading for parish.

So Shiel for a no pick salary dump to the Saints ;)

Shiels playing great football currently, I would not give him up right now unless a team came with overs. Easily the calmest, best disposal football he's maybe ever played. 5 ineffective disposals total in his last 3 games. Did not think he'd be capable of that kind of football ever.

I'd salary dump Parish though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Working from what we know the club is clear we want to keep our high end picks, we also know we need to have about 900-1000 draft points to match a kako bid around picks 13-15 (if he goes there as projected).

We have a lots of guys in the fringe/depth/role player category at years end, some with trade value, others less so. We're not going to do a clean out of 10 players (but we might get close) so it is probably best to maximise trade for those with a bit of value.

Heppell is being replaced by menzie on the snr list, hunter is gone so we have 1 x rookie spot. Wanganeen prob gets the chop, so that's 2 x rookie spots.

fringe/Depth/role players in question are hind, setterfield, weidermann, shiel, hobbs, kelly, guelfi, goldstein, wright, baldwin, j davey.

Stringer has some trade value but can't identify and obvious suiter so keeping him for the sake of the post..

guelfi back west to the eagles for 59 seems fair, shiel to saints for 44 i'd do. wright to coll has mutual benefits for 33 (the way the move the ball could easily see him kick 40 goals there next year). hobbs to richmond has mutual benefit too with graham likely off to wc, pick 29 fair.

goldstein im keeping in a coaching/depth role. setterfield for big body mid depth, j davey back to the rookie list (has only played 1 year in the last 3 so needs a chance), kelly is kept for depth but moves out of the starting 22. Keeping one of weidermann and baldwin for depth, likely the former as his body seems more reliable. So it's bye bye to baldwin and hinds

Now we have 7 snrs spots and 1 x rookie spot and picks 8, 28, 29, 33, 44, 59

Time to get creative... I'm certain Coll would like to get back into the first round of this years draft. so we flick 29, 33, 44 to brisbane for their first pick (prob 15 or 16) and we move that to coll for their future first and 51.

now we have 8, 28, 51, 59

As it stands richmond look likely to have 7 x top 25 picks this year so i am sure they'll be prepared to put a pick in the teens into next years draft to spread their picks across 2 years so we use a future first to get a 3rd first rounder on draft night before or after a kako bid.

Ideally on draft night we nab armstrong along with kako, maybe cooper hynes following the pick swap. If we miss armstrong then grab lalor, kako and shanahan with the pick swap. (? blue sky thinking....) take a couple late picks and a rookie then leave some space for a train on player over summer.

Sure, it would be nice to grab a FA somewhere but there is not an obvious suiter in this years crop.

Best 23 round 1 next year injuries permitting

Mcgrath, reid, redmond
Ridley, mckay, roberts
duursma, Durham, martin
perkins, caddy, caldwell
kako, langford, draper
bryan, merrett, parish
gresham, stringer, laverde, jones
sub tsatas

emg setterfied, cox, kelly

developing in the magoos davey's, visintini, hayes, lual, draftees

depth in the magoos menzie, el hawli, goldstein, weidermann

bryan, merrett, parish
Glad I'm not the only one who sees this. Bryan looks fantastic and should be R1 in round 1 next year.

You may consider handing a rookie list spot to Goldstein a la Hudson/Martin at other clubs where they offer injury depth and a virtual coaching role as well (outside the soft cap as they are earning a rookie salary)

Working from what we know the club is clear we want to keep our high end picks, we also know we need to have about 900-1000 draft points to match a kako bid around picks 13-15 (if he goes there as projected).

We have a lots of guys in the fringe/depth/role player category at years end, some with trade value, others less so. We're not going to do a clean out of 10 players (but we might get close) so it is probably best to maximise trade for those with a bit of value.

Heppell is being replaced by menzie on the snr list, hunter is gone so we have 1 x rookie spot. Wanganeen prob gets the chop, so that's 2 x rookie spots.

fringe/Depth/role players in question are hind, setterfield, weidermann, shiel, hobbs, kelly, guelfi, goldstein, wright, baldwin, j davey.

Stringer has some trade value but can't identify and obvious suiter so keeping him for the sake of the post..

guelfi back west to the eagles for 59 seems fair, shiel to saints for 44 i'd do. wright to coll has mutual benefits for 33 (the way the move the ball could easily see him kick 40 goals there next year). hobbs to richmond has mutual benefit too with graham likely off to wc, pick 29 fair.

goldstein im keeping in a coaching/depth role. setterfield for big body mid depth, j davey back to the rookie list (has only played 1 year in the last 3 so needs a chance), kelly is kept for depth but moves out of the starting 22. Keeping one of weidermann and baldwin for depth, likely the former as his body seems more reliable. So it's bye bye to baldwin and hinds

Now we have 7 snrs spots and 1 x rookie spot and picks 8, 28, 29, 33, 44, 59

Time to get creative... I'm certain Coll would like to get back into the first round of this years draft. so we flick 29, 33, 44 to brisbane for their first pick (prob 15 or 16) and we move that to coll for their future first and 51.

now we have 8, 28, 51, 59

As it stands richmond look likely to have 7 x top 25 picks this year so i am sure they'll be prepared to put a pick in the teens into next years draft to spread their picks across 2 years so we use a future first to get a 3rd first rounder on draft night before or after a kako bid.

Ideally on draft night we nab armstrong along with kako, maybe cooper hynes following the pick swap. If we miss armstrong then grab lalor, kako and shanahan with the pick swap. (? blue sky thinking....) take a couple late picks and a rookie then leave some space for a train on player over summer.

Sure, it would be nice to grab a FA somewhere but there is not an obvious suiter in this years crop.

Best 23 round 1 next year injuries permitting

Mcgrath, reid, redmond
Ridley, mckay, roberts
duursma, Durham, martin
perkins, caddy, caldwell
kako, langford, draper
bryan, merrett, parish
gresham, stringer, laverde, jones
sub tsatas

emg setterfied, cox, kelly

developing in the magoos davey's, visintini, hayes, lual, draftees

depth in the magoos menzie, el hawli, goldstein, weidermann
Downvote for trading Hobbs.

That’s just silly. Was a pick around top 10 and has progressed well as an inside mid. Pick 29 is nowhere close to fair value

Yeah would be silly to trade Hobbs now when his currency is low, if he plays a full season and takes the leap next year he'll have more value while being ooc.....

I'll like to see Jones tried down back, think he has good traits for it and at least he can get on the park.

Don't really want to see the dual 200cm wingers again.... when you have Duursma, Martin, Durham and potentially El Hawli why even bother.

McButcher McKay Redman
Jones Ridley Merrett
Duursma Durham El Hawli
Martin Caddy Stringer
Kako Langford Gresham
Bryan Parish Caldwell
Tsatas Draper Roberts Hobbs 2024 Pick 8

Yeah would be silly to trade Hobbs now when his currency is low, if he plays a full season and takes the leap next year he'll have more value while being ooc.....

I'll like to see Jones tried down back, think he has good traits for it and at least he can get on the park.

Don't really want to see the dual 200cm wingers again.... when you have Duursma, Martin, Durham and potentially El Hawli why even bother.

McButcher McKay Redman
Jones Ridley Merrett
Duursma Durham El Hawli
Martin Caddy Stringer
Kako Langford Gresham
Bryan Parish Caldwell
Tsatas Draper Roberts Hobbs 2024 Pick 8

Wright in over Draper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Essendon 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back