Essendon 34 named by CAS

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit pedantic, but when you are charged with an offence you are required to prove your innocence just as the prosecution is required to prove your guilt.

That's why you hire a lawyer to represent you against the crown prosecutor. You always present your side of the story in defence.

Although WADA are trying to prosecute the players its in their interest to vigorously defend themselves, until a verdict is reached.

Once you are charged your name is made public, unless in special circumstances, age or judges discretion etc.

Why should it be any different for EFC players, I find the suppression of names a bit of a storm/teacup, meh.
Nope. Innocent until proven guilty. If you were charged with assault for example, you could not say a word in court, and if the prosecutor can't prove it, you walk.

However, with Crowley's positive test, he's guilty until proven innocent.

again, it's CAS's own policy. The issue is not the players identities per se, it's the fact that CAS have broken their own rules and it feeds into the anti-doping blunder narrative, fairly or unfairly

Ah ok, so even if their names have been published its still not protocol for CAS to publicly name them.

What if the players waived their right, not sure if this did or can happen.

Like I said its the worst kept secret in Australia, and I doubt anyone outside of the country know any of the players.

Oh well CAS off to a flyer then, they don't **** about.

Nope. Innocent until proven guilty. If you were charged with assault for example, you could not say a word in court, and if the prosecutor can't prove it, you walk.

That hypothetical individual charged with assault wouldn't have his identity hidden though

Fair enough, not that I agree with that though

DNA might be present at the scene of a crime, but you still have to prove I did it. Innocent until proven guilty.

It obviously doesn't affect me, but everyone should be afforded the same level of discretion until being found guilty, Crowley included.

Crowley doesn't seem too fazed if he has outed himself though.

A bit pedantic, but when you are charged with an offence you are required to prove your innocence just as the prosecution is required to prove your guilt.

That's why you hire a lawyer to represent you against the crown prosecutor. You always present your side of the story in defence.

Although WADA are trying to prosecute the players its in their interest to vigorously defend themselves, until a verdict is reached.

Once you are charged your name is made public, unless in special circumstances, age or judges discretion etc.

Why should it be any different for EFC players, I find the suppression of names a bit of a storm/teacup, meh.

it is mate...any tom, dick or harry could spend ten minutes to nut out who it is...with so much to work with ie. those that played nab this year, people standing up at the celebration with the media a few weeks ago...herald sun article last year and a few more tidbits...too easy for the hirdites to jump all over this nonsense :drunk:

why am i here....bored at work!;)

it is mate...any tom, dick or harry could spend ten minutes to nut out who it is...with so much to work with ie. those that played nab this year, people standing up at the celebration with the media a few weeks ago...herald sun article last year and a few more tidbits...too easy for the hirdites to jump all over this nonsense :drunk:

why am i here....bored at work!;)

I was having a squiz at their board this morning and the list of players was up there also :D

I don't get the outrage either

I don't get the whole suppression of names scenario, its the worst kept secret going around.

When a person is charged for an offence their name is on record for a court hearing, big deal. They were at a pub together getting photographed after the ASADA verdict was handed down, didn't seem to mind then.

Exactly. Gutless effort by the 34 cowards not to waive but to stay like cockroaches in the shadows and to let their "genuinely innocent" teammates be tainted by the whole scandal.

But that's also part of the problem of having a system that operates with tribunals behind closed doors rather than have everything open and transparent. We are not dealing with minors or state security here. Just adult sportsmen who make a truckload of money and in the normal course of events profit handsomely from publicity and their celebrity status.

And don't get me started on that joke of a "Three Strikes" drug policy.

Exactly. Gutless effort by the 34 cowards not to waive but to stay like cockroaches in the shadows and to let their "genuinely innocent" teammates be tainted by the whole scandal.

But that's also part of the problem of having a system that operates with tribunals behind closed doors rather than have everything open and transparent. We are not dealing with minors or state security here. Just adult sportsmen who make a truckload of money and in the normal course of events profit handsomely from publicity and their celebrity status.

You won't get to hear what happens to minors in AFL. It's well covered behind closed doors and no one has the guts to speak up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Says the internet poster LOL

Seems like no one gives a hoot in hell. that CAS made 34 names public, except for the spinners and the sewers.
The HUN named them all the very next day.

IMG_0680.JPG

http://www.tas-cas.org/en/general-information/frequently-asked-questions.html

Are the arbitration proceedings confidential ?
The ordinary arbitration procedure is confidential. The parties, arbitrators and CAS staff are obliged not to disclose any information connected with the dispute.

http://www.tas-cas.org/en/arbitration/code-procedural-rules.html

R43 Confidentiality

Proceedings under these Procedural Rules are confidential. The parties, the arbitrators and CAS undertake not to disclose to any third party any facts or other information relating to the dispute or the proceedings without the permission of CAS. Awards shall not be made public unless all parties agree or the Division President so decides.

Reading that, does that mean the Division President has carte blanche to break confidentiality on a whim?

No not yet. Thought of sending him a mothers day card though, as he is the mother of all *****.
Off topic, would it be worth reporting Alavi to AHPRA for - in the words of the AFL tribunal - compounding medications that he could not be sure of what they were? Potentially posing a risk to public safety if he is compounding substances for patients and not knowing what they are to anyone's "comfortable satisfaction"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon 34 named by CAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back