Essendon fans and commentators whinge about Jobe being booed yet....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta feel for Jobe, he took those supplements having been told by his club that they were not banned, and now he's being booed and lambasted by everyone. It would make much more sense to boo those that were in charge of administering banned supplements.

Some did. The ones at the game didn't......

Horses**t. I was at that game. The booing was a minority (as oppsed to the btaying mules at Subiaco last night), AND most Essendon fans jumped on them straight away. In my case, I wrote a letter to the club fully supporting Stanton and ridiculing those that booed him.

Thought it was a great team effort by the Westcoast fans.
Consistency, synchronized full four quarter effort.

Essendon fans should man up!

Who gives a f**k if he was boo-ed.

Ask Voss/Buckley/Hird what it was like to be booed for their entire careers by opposition supporters just because they were A grade champions.

If I were at the ground I'd have booed him.

Yeah...me too. The fact that the AFL is allowing this crap to linger on so long is a disgrace. The fact that a player can admit to taking a banned substance and then play on like nothing has happened is also a disgrace.

Bombers-Booing_zps365580c2.gif

Inb4 tl;dr

The Reaper said:
Why I support the booing of Jobe Watson on Thursday Night

I’ll preface this with by stating that I am both a parochial Western Australian and a proud supporter of the West Coast Eagles. Feel free to disregard this as nothing more than sour grapes at this point if you so desire.

Throughout this whole drugs investigation Jobe Watson can stand tall as a man who has conducted himself with dignity. His personal integrity and strong character is beyond reproach. Nothing highlighted this more than his public admission on Monday Night of being injected with AOD9604. To publicly out himself showed both Jobe’s honesty and moral fibre.

And yet, I believe that on the following Tuesday, Jobe Watson should have being stood down immediately for the course of the investigation.

Recently, Pakistani umpire Asad Rauf was alleged to have had inappropriate dealings with bookmakers in regards to his duties in the IPL. Rauf of course is entitled to a presumption of innocence and no allegations were ever raised about his conduct as an umpire in international matches. The ICC acted appropriately by standing Rauf down from officiating in the ICC Champions Trophy. That was the necessary action to ensure that the integrity and the perception of legitimacy of the tournament could be kept intact and not a punishment for Rauf or an assumption on his guilt.

Since February, the AFL has known the identities of the Essendon players injected with substance of questionable legality. A possible response at the time, to ensure the integrity of the AFL as a fair and equal tournament would have being to stand down every player involved. The AFL decided not to take this route and to allow the players to take the field for the course of the investigation. At the time the public was led to believe that the investigation was on whether or not Essendon players had taken drugs and not the legality of the drugs.

However on Monday Jobe Watson admitted publicly that he was injected with AOD9604. In that moment Jobe Watson become the public face of drug cheating in the AFL and in Australia. The presumption of innocence afforded to Watson thus far – that there was no evidence that he had taken any of the drugs in question was gone.

At the moment the AFL had two choices- to stand down Jobe Watson immediately or to make a statement on Tuesday acknowledging Jobe’s admission and clarify that the investigation was not on whether or not Jobe and other players had taken AOD9604 but whether or not they broke the rules in doing so. The AFL and the Essendon Football Club did not do so and hid behind the excuse that they could not say anything whilst the investigation was ongoing.

As far as Joe Public in the Subiaco stands was aware- who did not have the benefit of listening to Brian Taylor bringing up the ACC report questioning whether AOD9604 was prohibited- this was the series of events

1. Jobe Watson admits to taking an illegal performance enhancing drug on Monday
2. AFL does nothing and decides to wait for the investigation on whether or not Jobe Watson takes illegal performance enhancing drugs to finish before making a decision.
3. Jobe Watson is allowed to play despite being a self-confessed drug cheat.

AFL supporters love the idea of a fair and equitable competition which is why we have embraced the concept of a draft and a salary cap. Salary cap breeches and tanking are abhorred by all AFL fans due to taint on the fairness and the integrity of the competition.

This is why Jobe Watson was booed on Thursday night. Unfortunate as it is for man of his undoubted integrity to carry this burden, the possible sins of an entire football club and the ensuring taint on the integrity of the competition is the albatross that hangs from Jobe’s neck. The boos on Thursday night were not an indictment on Jobe Watson- they were an attack on the Essendon Football Club, an attack on the AFL response and more than anything else a protest at the perceived destruction of the AFL as a fair and even playing field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jobe Watson takes PEDs.
Jobe Watson goes on TV and says 'I took PEDs'.
West Coast fans boo Jobe Watson.

Amazing that the third of those things is what is filling vaginas with sand.

The ACC and WADA have BOTH released varied statements that DO NOT describe AOD-9604 as a performance enhancing drug. Possibly a banned substance (we know damn well that Essendon is looking to challenge that), but not a PED.

So of the three things you said, only the booing of Watson is factually correct. The rest is just regurgitated crap from yet another BF member who cant string together an original thought.

You gotta feel for Jobe, he took those supplements having been told by his club that they were not banned, and now he's being booed and lambasted by everyone. It would make much more sense to boo those that were in charge of administering banned supplements.

But they aren't out there on the field playing footy. What else is the crowd gunna do?

Pity they're happy to hide behind Jobe

But they aren't out there on the field playing footy. What else is the crowd gunna do?

They could boo at Hird in the box while he's ordering people to A4 up the windows so that the WCE coaches box can't see their secret supplement business going on.

Bunch of muppets.

Was going to point out would Victorians Boo a WC player under the same circumstance in Melb, then realized this was a foolish comparison. The VFL would of immediatly suspended the WC player after such an admission.:oops:

anyone ever actually had a diet pill? They do sweet eff all... makes this whole thing that much more ridiculous...

Ask Shane Warne about what diet pills can do for your career.

Not really a big deal is it? i've heard booing at just about every football game i've gone to.

The ACC and WADA have BOTH released varied statements that DO NOT describe AOD-9604 as a performance enhancing drug. Possibly a banned substance (we know damn well that Essendon is looking to challenge that), but not a PED.

So of the three things you said, only the booing of Watson is factually correct. The rest is just regurgitated crap from yet another BF member who cant string together an original thought.

Point out where the ACC is the governing body on drugs in sport in this country. They handle crime

ASADA handles drugs and cheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back