Essendon's game style

Remove this Banner Ad

Making widespread statements on the back of one game are great

Who won that game BTW ;)
Haha, it was rather tongue in cheek, but no less true.

I think Franklin had 4 kicks, 0 goals for the game. I doubt anyone else averages keeping him to those kind of figures. :)

Haha! Hilarious call. You are a goose. Didn't watch us spank you the other week? Or watch us play football AT ALL last year?

Is it past your bed time? Geelong have one player with any kind of pace that can clear a line. Watch the game a bit closer next time. Geelong dominated us in the centre not once did they have a chain of 4-5 handballs and run the ball straight through the middle. The game plans are very different but clearly you are too stupid to even notice.

Is it past your bed time? Geelong have one player with any kind of pace that can clear a line. Watch the game a bit closer next time. Geelong dominated us in the centre not once did they have a chain of 4-5 handballs and run the ball straight through the middle. The game plans are very different but clearly you are too stupid to even notice.
Ok so I'll forgive you for turning off your TV after we kicked 3 goals in 3 minutes at the start of the second the other week. Hey, I'll even forgive you for not watching pretty much all 22 of our games last year. But surely you watched the Grand Final?!

Which one player would you be referring to? Ablett? Wojcinski? Stokes? Hunt? In any case, it takes more than 'pace' to 'clear a line'. Players getting the ball to you in open space allows you to run the ball out of the backline through the guts, as Geelong do an uncountable number of times. You don't have to be Asafa Powell, ask Corey Enright.

Geelong's handball-to-kick ratio is also significantly higher than Essendons.

I am trying to locate 'bounces taken' stats, as I'm sure we take more than Essendon.

Ok so I'll forgive you for turning off your TV after we kicked 3 goals in 3 minutes at the start of the second the other week. Hey, I'll even forgive you for not watching pretty much all 22 of our games last year. But surely you watched the Grand Final?!

Which one player would you be referring to? Ablett? Wojcinski? Stokes? Hunt? In any case, it takes more than 'pace' to 'clear a line'. Players getting the ball to you in open space allows you to run the ball out of the backline through the guts, as Geelong do an uncountable number of times. You don't have to be Asafa Powell, ask Corey Enright.

But you said Essendon have copied Geelongs game plan when clearly they havent. Watch an Essendon game, there is a 4-5 quick handballs in the defensive 50 and then a run through the middle. Geelong play the boundary in defence and go central in the forward half. Its very easy to notice.

But you said Essendon have copied Geelongs game plan when clearly they havent. Watch an Essendon game, there is a 4-5 quick handballs in the defensive 50 and then a run through the middle. Geelong play the boundary in defence and go central in the forward half. Its very easy to notice.
I'm just not even going to bother anymore. Bruce and co. wank over Geelong using the corridor almost as much as they say the phrase 'run and carry'.

The Dons are still very much a work in progress - only the most one eyed of Essendon supporters could of expected them to challenge the "power teams" of the competition this year. The flipside with the injuries to the experienced players means we can just blood some more youth (if they can get on the park themselves due to their own injury concerns) - it won't pay dividends this year and we will lose more games than we win, but hopefully the benefits can be felt in the years ahead...

They did well tonight against the odds I guess, but the Bulldogs were just better when it counted... 30 points better though? Flattering to say the least.

Play of the season for me. The Joel Selwood head fake on a player with 10 times his experience is glorious.

Also, that Bombers dude has been going on about '4-5 quick handballs' that he has 'never seen Geelong do', does someone want to count the 5 handballs in that passage for me again please?

Watch this mate, you might learn something:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qQLQEL66U8A

Learn what? You bring up game plans and then show one passage of play and wanna quote Bruce and Co. Even still you cant get it right. Watch any Essendon match from this year. A quick chain of handball and a run from half back through the middle of the ground. It is in every game, even the Geelong one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Learn what? You bring up game plans and then show one passage of play and wanna quote Bruce and Co. Even still you cant get it right. Watch any Essendon match from this year. A quick chain of handball and a run from half back through the middle of the ground. It is in every game, even the Geelong one.
Well I'm sorry that every Geelong game is not on youtube. If you like, go and download all 25 games from last year, and the 3 so far this year and have a closer look. It is the same ____ing thing as Essendon are trying to do this year, albeit less successfully. OK, this is definitely the last time I am replying to you.

I love how a thread on Essendon having a bit of a go and doing things a little differently under a new coach can be hijacked by Geelong supporters wanting to continue their dick measuring contest with everyone else in the AFL...

Yes, guys - don't worry, we know your better than us and probably every other team... we don't need to be reminded in every Bigfooty thread to realise this...

That is beautiful football.

Firstly, no-one does that to Simpson. He always goes hips first and tackles those blokes, but Selwood made him look like a park footballer. Ridiculous.

Secondly, watching that makes me feel slightly better about losing that game by so much. WTF are you supposed to do about play like that?

with Fletcher, Michael, Lloyd and Lucas all to retire in the next season or two the bombers are still to bottom out. they'll be better this year than the next 2-3 seasons.

with Fletcher, Michael, Lloyd and Lucas all to retire in the next season or two the bombers are still to bottom out. they'll be better this year than the next 2-3 seasons.

I'm pretty sure u guys tell us, them guys are too old and no good anyway.
It's funny how they get bagged one minute, then their retirements will be the reason for us bottoming out. Which is it?

We didn't have Lucas or Lloyd tonight. And Fletcher? You only have to read the other thread to realise he is a dud.:rolleyes:

It was disappointing to get run over in the end like that but the signs are great.

And to the Geelong supporters. Yeah we get it. You are currently the best in the league. How dare we have a thread without you being mentioned in it?:eek:

We are re-building, Its gonna take some time for our players to get there skills level to the best it can be and we also need to work on our defensive pressure. Weve only had 1 off-season to work on our new gameplan its gonna take another 2 i'd say.

I dont really care where we finsh this year, as long as we are playing the kids and playing some exciting football ill be happy.

I'd liken their style to basketball's "fast break" type teams. Who get the turnovers and risk having players streaking forward in anticipation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon's game style

Remove this Banner Ad

Back