Essendon's list vs Melbourne's list

Which list promises more for the future?

• Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Essendon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to say anything definitive about Melbourne because a lot of its list is so raw and haven't had enough AFL experience to be judged.

Pretty much a team stacked with kids full of potential.

Essendon on the other hand are a little more advanced as they have more players entering the prime years of their careers (24 yrs - 29 yrs) along with a host of promising kids.

The better list now or what promises more for the future?

It's hard to judge but Melbourne young players are looking very good, and keep in mind we haven't even unleashed our three top twenty picks from last year yet.

Obviously with a great win over Hawthorn, Essendon is the easy answer people will choose.

By the end of this year i firmly believe our list will be infront of Essendons talent-wise, considering we will most likely get picks 1 and 2. And I highly rate Essendon's young kids.

Essendon are 2 years ahead of us rebuilding wise. They havent played finals since 2004, where as we havent since 2006.

They are more advanced in that regard, and that's shown this year. They've played some good footy in patches, and are currently in the top 8. We on the other hand are down the bottom, but have alot of raw young talent that's only just started playing. I'm not sure Essendon will make finals this year, but you can definitely see the improvement and they're getting closer. I expect in two years time we'll be roughly the same.

If Melbourne wind up with picks 1+2 this year, then there is a hell of alot of talent to work with. Whether both sides are able to harness their youngsters talent is still to be seen though.

"Which list promises more for the future?"
Melbourne, without a doubt with draft pick 1+2 next year.
We have really good kids that are underrated but Melbourne are the sleeping giants that will come of age in about 2 years.

I think both lists are quite similar in a way. Both teams are looking to be in a strong position for defensive talls at the moment. Essendon have Pears, Daniher, Hurley and Hooker. Meanwhile Melbourne have Garland, Rivers, Martin and Warnock.

Both teams have greater worries up front with a 50/50 prospect (Newton, Neagle) who both have been dropped during the year in an attempt to round out their games. Also both teams have large investments that have not had the opportunities at AFL level yet (Watts and Gumbleton).

The respective midfields both have very good outside midfielders leading the charge (Morton, Aa Davey, Winderlich, Stanton, Lovett). But a lot depends on how both side's inside midfields improve to offer support to these players.

Both teams have a pretty good month where it is starting to look like the respective gameplans are being put into proper practice.

Obviously I am biased and would prefer Essendons list but their is plenty of hope to be had at Melbourne.

Both teams will be great in 4 or so years when the young guys start building strength and hitting their peak. Looking forward to Melbourne vs Essendon matches, our young defenses are by far and away the best in the league. Will be some good battles.

Melbourne have the "edge" talent wise so far, due to a few higher draft picks and the ones they will get this year... but still their is not much in it.

At this stage you would probably say Essendon however I'm not too dissapointed at where were sitting at the moment.

Both have excellent defences, potentially great offence and ok midfields. If you look at the past couple of premiship sides they have been packed with about 7 or 8 freak midfielders. From a Melbourne perspective that's why its imperative and I hate to say this that anything less than winning 4 games would be a fantastic "longterm" outcome for the club, adding Scully and Butcher to our team gives us much needed solidarity around the ground.

Also just putting it out there is Cale Morton one of the most underrated youngsters in the league? Hardly ever gets mentioned in threads such as "best players under 21 etc". I don't think I've seen a 19 year old get as much as the ball as him ever. Will only get better too when he stops starving himself

i prefer essendons list nows but after melbourne gets pick 1 and 2 [probably scully and butcher] they will be better

Both lists are pretty even, but I think Melbourne are two years behind Essendon. The only thing is Essendon seemed to be hopping on the spot for a while, though their win over Hawthorn showed that they are a lot more advanced than most think. Our Round 13 match is going to be a corker if Melbourne's injuries don't get the better of us.

The main difference is Essendon have a lot more confidence than us, & are willing to take more risks. We seem to have trouble with taking any sort of risks, guys like Brad Miller seem to be out of confidence & scared to take the game on.

Both will meet in the 2013 Grand Final, & we shall extract our revenge for 2000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon now but we can't predict the future, for all we know Scully and Butcher could turn out to be duds.

I doubt it. The very high picks are getting closer and closer to be dead set gaurantees these days - look at the top5 of the last 3 drafts, what a bunch of champions.. heaps of them have been good enough to be picked every week since they started (games played in brackets)

Matthew Kreuzer Carlton 27
Trent Cotchin Richmond 15
Chris Masten West Coast 15
Cale Morton Melbourne 26
Jarrad Grant Western Bulldogs 1
Bryce Gibbs Carlton 50
Scott Gumbleton Essendon 5
Lachlan Hansen North Melbourne 18
Matthew LeuenberBrisbane 22
Travis Boak Port Adelaide 38
Marc Murphy Carlton 64
Dale Thomas Collingwood 69
Xavier Ellis Hawthorn 38
Joshua Kennedy West Coast 30
Scott PendleburyCollingwood 62

Melbourne by a country mile... people dont realise Essendon have a terrible list.

You clearly do though. Youv'e been beating this drum forever, and have not been proven right ever. :rolleyes:

One thing for sure, both lists will be far superior to West Coast's.

Essendon has the runs on the board while Melbourne probably has more young talent. However this isn't really surprising considering the ladder positions of the clubs over the last couple of years.

I actually think that the bombers list is better than the general view held by bigfooty, they have some very good young talent who will be ready to take over when their older guns retire.

Melbourne's list is largely inexperienced or untried. ie. Grimes, Maric, Morton, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Bennell, Jetta, Spencer, Wonaeamirri, Garland, Frawley & Jurrah all look like serious talent but until it's translated onto the park then all it is is potential. Ok, add Scully and one of Butcher, Lucas, Hutchinson or Morabito then it actually looks pretty scary with how could they could be, but still it's all just potential at this stage.

Personally I am not convinced on the demons young midfield talent. Guys like McLean, Jones, Moloney whilst are all hard at the ball they lack class around the ground. Davey has been a great addition this and Morton would have to be close to the best young player running around in the competition right now. I think it is imperative that if we do end up with picks 1, 2 and 18 this year that we use at least two of them picks on skillful onballers.

Would be interested in how Essendon view their team in five years time. This is how I view Melbourne's with the bolded players the one's I feel most confident of being there. Have only included players currently on the list becasue anything else is too skeptical, but you would think Melbourne would have some draft picks to come in.

B: Garland, Martin, Cheney
HB: Bennell, Frawley, Petterd
C: Morton, Grimes, Davey
HF: Jurrah, Watts, Bate
F: Woneaemiri, Newton, Maric
R: Spencer, Jones, Blease
I: Moloney, Buckley, McLean, Strauss

Depth: Sylvia, Dunn, Jetta, McNamara, Valenti

Personally I am not convinced on the demons young midfield talent. Guys like McLean, Jones, Moloney whilst are all hard at the ball they lack class around the ground. Davey has been a great addition this and Morton would have to be close to the best young player running around in the competition right now. I think it is imperative that if we do end up with picks 1, 2 and 18 this year that we use at least two of them picks on skillful onballers.

Well the talk is that Tom Scully is the skillful midfielder that we've been lacking, as it stands you'd imagine we get him if we have the chance.

However new young players can fly under the radar and then burst out onto the scence. Last year it was Naitanui and Rich as the potential number 1 picks and it wasn't till later that Watts joined them.

Would be interested in how Essendon view their team in five years time. This is how I view Melbourne's with the bolded players the one's I feel most confident of being there. Have only included players currently on the list becasue anything else is too skeptical, but you would think Melbourne would have some draft picks to come in.

Miller could still be in there, he's only about 25/26 so he's still got years left in him.

Rivers, Warnock, and Miller don't figure? Or even a 32-33 yo. Brad Green?

B: Dempsey, Hurley, Hooker
HB: Myers, Pears, Houli
C: Stanton, Winderlich, Prismall
HF: Reimers, Gumbleton, Monfries
F: Davey, Neagle, Jetta
R: Ryder, Watson, Lonergan
I: Daniher, Bellchambers, Hocking, Zaharakis

Depth: T Slattery, Bock, Still,

I'm pretty sure I missed some so go easy on me Bomber fans.

Both teams look like they are going to have a bright future and it would be purely skeptical to predict who has the best list. However both teams still have issues to address on their lists.
Melbourne I feel have the markings of a great backline in the future. If Watts becomes the player he is expected to be that helps the forward line out which is the area they need to improve on. I still think they need one more quality tall up forward (Newton is not even close to quality). They also need one more running outside midfielder. They have the extractors like McLean, Jones and Moloney but other than Davey and hopefully Morton no other quality outside midfielders.
Essendon also have the making of a great backline as well. There midfield has some quality like McVeigh and Stanton who I feel will be an A grade midfielder in the next couple of years. They probably just need one more in and under type midfielder to complement what they already have. The forward line is where I see Essendon needing to improve on. Hopefully for them Gumbelton turns out a star, however I don't think this will happen. Essendon supporters don't bite my head off, I just feel that a player who has missed so much football through injury early on in his career will miss out on alot of developement he would of otherwise got. So when Lloyd retires and Lucas (who should retire) are gone I think thay are also one quality tall away from having a very good forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon's list vs Melbourne's list

Back