Essendon's new coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Choco's record is as good as Roos (1 flag and another GF) and Choco achieved it at a club with a chronically under-resourced footy department. Choco wins over Roos on points, no doubt.
they got mark williams the ex hawk last year, it would be odd having a coach and a player by the name of mark williams.

roos win stats record looks better than mark williams
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/cp-paul-roos--14
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/cp-mark-williams--11

West Coast have supposedly tried this.

going west might not be that enticing as returning to melbourne.

I realy hope they look outside the square, as i would love to see Peter German given the top job at afl level.
The man is an beast of a coach! Having been an assistant at both Hawthorn and West Coast. Moved on to take the top job at Subiaco taking them to the 2004 and 2006 Premierships.
Then got the gig as assistant at Freo.
Last year Being named VFL coach of the year at Casey, and this year coaching Willimstown to the minor premiership and very likley the Premiership.

good luck to who ever gets the job, it wasn't the coach, it was the list, that's as plain as day.

Can't agree with this.

The list isn't as bad as the results they've been getting. It's clearly the coach.

I don't think getting the best coach will necessarily take them to a flag next year but the right guy will get an immediate turn around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My preference would be Williams, with Hird as assistant.

We need to bring somebody fairly fresh (to the club) in in my opinion. Somebody NOT connected to the players; somebody who would be willing to make the hard calls on guys like Winderlich, Stanton, Dyson, and various others who have been there for years and not delivered. Somebody who is able to look at things with a fresh set of eyes.

It would also be fantastic to get Hird back to the club as his assistant. I just think he's a smart guy who knows his shit. Fantastic natural-ability players can also be fantastic coaches; this myth that they can't is just that - a myth. I think Hird is one of the most astute observers of our game that we have. There's no reason he wouldn't be a valuable addition to the club - especially considering his history with it.

Whatever we do, I just hope they don't go for another bland, boring, dumb, unproven coach. We need a character, and somebody who demands respect. Williams (with Hird as assistant) would be perfect.

Um Caraccella is a very experianced assistant and a infinite times better option then Sumich.

Assistant at Collingwood (No.1) and Geelong (No.2). Couldn't ask for much more

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanderson join his best mate at Collingwood in 2012 if he doesn't get a senior job in the interim.

I would be. Sando does not want to be a bridesmaid again. His credentials as a senior coach are better than those of the "mate" set to take over at Collingwood.

Hirdy might lack in certain sublteties of coaching, but one thing is for sure, the players would almost die for him on the field. One of the most well loved person by any one club.

Can Collingwood supporters tell me anything about Mark Neeld? He has been interviewed for the Port job and he has a good reputation. I think Essendon need to go outside the square, just like Melbourne did for Bailey. If Mark Williams is the best person for the job then that is great. But, I hope the board doesn't get seduced by his name.

Can Collingwood supporters tell me anything about Mark Neeld? He has been interviewed for the Port job and he has a good reputation. I think Essendon need to go outside the square, just like Melbourne did for Bailey. If Mark Williams is the best person for the job then that is great. But, I hope the board doesn't get seduced by his name.

For what it's worth, Mick Malthouse named Mark Neeld as his #1 assistant in an interview earlier in the year, even ahead of Nathan Buckley. Caused some mild controversy at the time, and gave some added fuel to those hoping for a Malthouse-Buckley implosion. Might be an idea for the Dons to go low-profile a la Melbourne and see where it takes them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon's new coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back