Etihad Stadium Gone by 2025?

Remove this Banner Ad

Etihad sucks anyway, cold, sterile, no atmosphere... MCG 4 ever
Yeah, but Etihad is not meant to rival MCG. Its a second stadium ideally positioned, and with a roof. No other stadium boasts that.

I can understand AFL park's demise; it was a shit stadium built smack bang in a rain belt with no public transport other than buses.

Etihad is now oddly positioned with new office towers springing up around it, but IMO it stays

A quick Google found this article and picture from 2013 about starting construction of Western Park. http://www.docklandsnews.com.au/editions/article/western-park-to-start-next-year_8924/

992929_10151711058987052_171549570_n.jpg

I haven't been down that end of Docklands for quite a while - is there anything there yet?

Sounds like a terrible idea. People somehow complain about getting to Etihad when it's got the biggest train station in Melbourne next door. Don't know how they'd cope with walking another 10mins through Docklands.

And look at the facilities! It's barely a local footy oval!

The major issue with Docklands is the appalling town planning and forethought.

They've basically built a hub for adults with no children, with no facilities to accommodate or care for kids or entertain them. So, unsurprisingly - the entire place consists of singles, or couples without kids and it is deserted from 8am to 6 pm (as everyone's at work) - there are no retailers there (as there is no-one to sell anything to) and the entire place is a ghost-town.

If it hadn't simply consisted of high rise apartments, and had a mixed dwelling structure, accommodating for a range of family types, it would have been much more successful. But the almighty dollar and appeasing to construction firms was far more important at the time...

And this continues with nearly every single decision on town planning with a bulls roar of the CBD....
Even putting in a school would have made a massive difference. You can already see the same problems happening in Fisherman's Bend. Bowing down to the developers and $$$. Proper planning and infrastructure is just being ignored

Robert Doyle is a complete ****** and should be the last person to ask about important infrastructure and the like.
Problem is he's not alone in saying Etihad's future is grim. That stadium is sitting on very, very expensive land, and if in a few years someone offers the AFL squillions to sell it, what will happen?

Problem is he's not alone in saying Etihad's future is grim. That stadium is sitting on very, very expensive land, and if in a few years someone offers the AFL squillions to sell it, what will happen?
Its going to be a long time before the residential demand is going to reach that point. Docklands is still pretty empty and theres more towers going up even now.

You could say that about the MCG as well really but we would never think about knocking that down. (Yes i know, owned by the MCC, just saying)

Its going to be a long time before the residential demand is going to reach that point. Docklands is still pretty empty and theres more towers going up even now.

You could say that about the MCG as well really but we would never think about knocking that down. (Yes i know, owned by the MCC, just saying)
MCG is Crown land; it will never be developed.

It was a mistake building Etihad where it is OR allowing apartments, hotels and office towers to be built around it.

I don't think Etihad should go, but if it did I'd understand.

It is also said Etihad was configured wrongly, essentially N-S instead of E-W.

A quick Google found this article and picture from 2013 about starting construction of Western Park. http://www.docklandsnews.com.au/editions/article/western-park-to-start-next-year_8924/

992929_10151711058987052_171549570_n.jpg

I haven't been down that end of Docklands for quite a while - is there anything there yet?

Sounds like a terrible idea. People somehow complain about getting to Etihad when it's got the biggest train station in Melbourne next door. Don't know how they'd cope with walking another 10mins through Docklands.
And people complain about Sydneys new stadium philosophy

Robert Doyle is a nut....everyone built around Etihad Stadium, does he not know that? Development happened all around Etihad and probably because of it being there in the first place. The whole Docklands precinct is a disaster, but the stadium is just fine where it is. The problem Etihad has currently is it does not host enough big Blockbusters.

upload_2015-11-13_12-6-43.jpeg Etihad stadium before they built all around it...Doyle is a nut!

Last edited:
From a town planning sense, it will not be moved.

/endthread.

The issue was building the stadium on the waterfront. Why did they do it in the first place?
It was built as a cornerstone of the docklands development.
Who would foot the bill? The stadium is there.
Stadium does not block of access to the docklands precinct. Sandwiching buildings has. Planning never took into consideration the movement of people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's Sydney getting?
Supposedly there will be an upgrade or new stadium where the SFS is next to the SCG to cover the north, east and south.
ANZ and Spotless to cover the inner west and surrounds.
And a new multi purpose stadium or an upgrade to parra or penrith or Campbelltown to cover the outta west and surrounds.
One of the options is a new multi purpose stadium as part of the 2nd airport.

Government is sick of the dozens of tier 2 stadiums being upgraded every 5 minutes. Cant blame em.

Etihad isn't the reason Docklands isn't the new center of Melbourne, the fact that there's is fat **** all to do in Docklands OTHER than Etihad is the problem.

The stadium is the best attraction there, he's just attempting to garner support for selling off more land to property investors.

It's a sterile design that has aged very quickly. New Perth stadium, Adelaide Oval, even Startrack and Metricon make it look out-dated.

Terrible sight lines. Terrible seats. Not enough food or bar locations. It was supposed to be a centerpiece of Docklands but has ultimately contributed to its downfall.

IMO, the AFL will sell it off and it'll get broken down. That is prime real estate and atm it's just a piece of concrete in an area screaming out for more parkland and better overall development.

The end of the Footscray Markets precinct will see that area grow. That's the key to improving Docklands. Etihad will make way eventually. Bookmark it. Might not be 20 years but by 2050, that Stadium won't exist anymore.

It is quite literally blocking the gateway from the city to Docklands.

Shocking planning. Shocking design.

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd idea to pull down the existing Etihad stadium because it's on "expensive development land on the waterfront" and rebuild it at great expense a few hundred metres further away from Southern Cross station on to another lot of "expensive development land on the waterfront" that is nowhere near public transport?

It's 2015, right?

2015 + 20 = 2035

Not 2025, that would be 10 years.

Let me know if you need some help with your shoelaces :thumbsu:
AFL take over operation 2025 now that is within the 20 year period is it not?
Let me know if you need help comprehending that;):thumbsu:(see this is why Geelong supporters rank number 1 on the Bigfooty intel rankings)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back