EU Cup 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

just like to say that I am looking forward to the real European Championships next year in Denmark/Sweden. It will hopefully be a great tournament and an exciting event.

I appreciate the work that EU Cup has done over the last few years and the organisers of next years European Championships (18-a-side, international cup rules) should consult with them on how to run a successful tournament. It will be interesting to see how the international teams prepare and compete in next years comp..

Can't wait - bring it on!

Why even post this? The EU Cup is the recognised European Championship. It might not be recognised as such by you blokes in Ireland, but the 15 teams that competed had a different point of view.

Also, great to see an Irish team compete at this year's EU Cup for the first time. Great bunch of bokes - no whingeing about AFL affiliation, 18 v 9 a side etc., they were just there to play.

errr recognised by who???

The EU cup is a great entity in itself and is an outlet for all the developing countries to compete in a meaningful competition but don't delude yourself with notions that it is a competition that represents the best teams and players in Europe.

To be considered the premier European competition it at the very least needs to:
1. Play on full sized ovals
2. Play 18-a-side games
3. Play 4 quarters
4. Have IC eligibility criteria
5. The lead goal scorer in the comp is not: ‘Handicap

I believe the competition that is being held in Denmark/Sweden next year will have all these criteria and therefore can call itself the European Cup.

I'm not trying to provoke an argument here and I acknowledge that the EU cup is a great comp and stories I've heard from the lads that have played in it are all positive. Long may it last but I'm personally looking forward to the one being held by Denmark next year!

Recognised by the vast majority of Australian football playing nations in Europe. Does that answer your question?

And if the ARFLI had bothered to attend the AFL Europe conference in Zagreb, you would be aware that the proposed comp in Denmark/Sweden is 16, not 18-per-side. So it can't be considered 'the premier European competition' under your smug criteria.

Wake up Dingo, it's no longer 2002 and footy in Europe is no longer Ireland, Denmark & Great Britain. You're the delusional one mate.

so you read what I wrote - took it, that I was being offensive to you and decided to be aggressive in your response... If you can find one line that shows I was being in anyway derogatory I'll take it all back!! Otherwise be civil in your responses and engage in a gentlemanly discussion, lest you become what you most despise: a troll!

The EU Cup has been held 4 times and has been a great success. To respond to an article on the AFL website, stating that you can't wait for a real European Championships, was inflammatory. Your post was offensive and aggressive and disrespectful to all the teams who attended the event.

I am entitled to my ophinion, same as the next man! I have expressed nothing but praise towards the organisers and competitors of the EU cup!! It is a stellar tournament that can only increase in popularity as aussie rules spreads to newer countries. It will give these countries a tournament to compete in against players and teams of comparable ability. However, I dont believe it is a tournament that will cater for teams and countries that aspire to play in the international cup in 2011.

Fair enough.

But in regards to the ability you mention, I am quite looking forward to the first England v Ireland match. :)

Clarkey, are there any plans in place yet for the EU Cup 2010? Dates/venues etc?

Also Dingo, the tournament you mention to be held in Denmark/Sweden, any dates for this one?

Thanks, we will have fun. London, Frankfurt, Prague and Samobor were all fantastic and the standard continues to improve each year.

Looks the EU Cup will be in Spain next year (early October), although yet to be confirmed.

Who is Ken Sheens? I have never heard of him.

i hope the aussie rules becomes more popular across the world its a great sport.
well done england, keep it up next year. well done to all the other teams that played.
keep it up, and keep spreading the sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

EU Cup 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back