Europe advice

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2006
NSW
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester City, Western Sydney W
My mum and sister are treavellign to Europe next year.

Just needed some advice.

How long do u need in the following cities:

Munich
Vienna
Salzburg
Berlin

Also they wanna go to the Swiss Alps - how long does it take to get there from Munich or Salzburg?

ANy travel advice would be appreciated

thye are on a tight time and money buidget

Backpacking

Hey, I want to avoid creating another thread so i figure i'll ask some questions in here.

I have done a search but im still a little unsure. For all those who have been backpacking before I need some advice with keeping track of a budget. I've just finished school and I intend to take a year off and work to try and get enough money to travel europe for about a year. I know the dollar sucks now so im hoping by 2010 it'll be better?

Anyway i'm just curious as to how much money i might need, how much did you spend? I've been on some other forums and it seems that basic hostel accomadations about $40, and food $15 p/day? Is this correct. Are there any suggestions you guys have as to how I can save?

Thanks heaps any feedbacks appreciated

Re: Backpacking

Hey, I want to avoid creating another thread so i figure i'll ask some questions in here.

I have done a search but im still a little unsure. For all those who have been backpacking before I need some advice with keeping track of a budget. I've just finished school and I intend to take a year off and work to try and get enough money to travel europe for about a year. I know the dollar sucks now so im hoping by 2010 it'll be better?

Anyway i'm just curious as to how much money i might need, how much did you spend? I've been on some other forums and it seems that basic hostel accomadations about $40, and food $15 p/day? Is this correct. Are there any suggestions you guys have as to how I can save?

I have actually been backpacking in Europe. my OP was becuase simply i have forgotten a lot of how i travelled to places adn stuff simply because i did so much...

In regards to ur question, its hard to put a figure on the cost.

U can certainly cut costs. WHen ur travellign bwetween countries u will find that u can get relatively cheap flights. another optin is the eurail pass, if ur under 26 u can get some really cheap deals. Also hostels are a great option, u can really cut ur accomodation bills.

Www.hostelworld.com is a good site for hostels and www.expedia.com is a good website for cheap flights. Ezyjet is another good cheap flight site.

u said ur going for a year so it is a bit different to going for 6 weeks or whatever...

My suggestion is taht u save up a bit. In 2010 the aussie dollar will hopefull have improved significantly

Hope this helps

i was over in europe a couple of years ago to visit some family. we hired a car to travel from france to munich and then onto salzburg, i cant exactly remember how long it took by car, maybe a couple of hours. but to take in and see the sights in salzburg you need at least 3 or 4 days. i was on a tight budget so i stayed out of the city at a hotel near the airport (cant remember the name)

when i was in munich i spent 3 days there and didnt get to see everything in the main city, so you prob want to stay there a little longer to trully appreciate the city. A must in munich is heading out to the Dachau concentration camp its about half an hour out of the city and you can get a bus out there from munich

i cant remember much else but there was some cheap hotels that we stayed at which they can just google.

Re: Backpacking

Munich to Salburg would be about 500km so assuming your on a freeway most of the way should take about 4 hours by car. if they don't have a car you can cheap and good buses with eurolines. i'm not 100% sure but i'm sure they'd do a munich to salzburg route.... hell i managed to get from brussels to dublin with them so i'm sure they would.

budget about 80 euros a day and you'll be fine man.

east is cheaper, west (except spain and portugal) is more expensive, and ireland, UK, Scandanavia are horrendous (never been scan but have been told)...

you'll probably end up spending 60-70 euros a day but if you budget for 80 you won't have any stress at the end of your trip when money is getting a bit short.

if your a drinker then you'll also have to factor in unforeseen drinking costs such as cabbies taking you for a ride, buying expensive drinks for some chick your trying to pick up (by the way don't do that in eastern europe), breaking things, losing clothes, etc,. etc,. this particular list can get very long....

www.hostelworld.com is your best friend when it comes to cheap accomodation. stay in hostels, they are good fun and you'll meet far more people than if you stay in your own room (which will also be more expensive)....

as i said above the cheapest way to get around is with eurolines, but by bus can be pretty time consuming and seriously draining.

probably the best way in terms of quick and still cheap to get around is by train... get a eurail pass though. ryanair and easyjet give cheap flights but charge a shitload for baggage above 15kg's and most backpackers have more than 15kg's of luggage. trains and buses you can take as much as you want (within reason)....

Anyone know if Lucern or Montreux is better to see in Switzerland? Which is closer to Munich Germany??

thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Europe advice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back