Everitt for Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
stefoid.....I wouldn't call Walker a tall. More a mid-size.

He is often asked to play on taller opponents so he can run off them. But he is never going to be a Key Position player forward or back.

He played as a defensive forward against Sydney and did well.

I don't think Carlton are going to trade out Walker because he has upside...but Everitt would suit their needs nicely. At his height, he tall enough to play Key Position and can play a utility role as well.

I would say Everitt fits the Blues needs more than Walker fits the Dogs needs. However if Harbrow goes, then Walker can play a back pocket role. However they still have Easton Wood coming through.

Perhaps they could use him more as a half forward with Johnson and Aka gone.

But purely from an outside point of view....trade currency is about even.

Walker perhaps has a bit more experience but has massive injury concerns...whilst Everitt has been given no opportunity so the Dogs can't demand too much. They nearly parted with him for Pick 25 last year.

Everitt is contracted for next year, so its up to his suitors to come up with a deal.

1st round = Wallis 2nd round libba
thar you go... make the most out of your picks by trading the early ones... then use your later ones for the F/S... can't you do that...

eg. trade your 1st and 2nd rounder and get gun players... then when someone nominates to take Wallis and Libba... use your next best pick, which is 3rd and 4th rounder.... I know there's a flaw somewhere in this logic... do you nominate your taking F/S with certain picks before trade week? if so, how can teams outbid the other???

thar you go... make the most out of your picks by trading the early ones... then use your later ones for the F/S... can't you do that...

eg. trade your 1st and 2nd rounder and get gun players... then when someone nominates to take Wallis and Libba... use your next best pick, which is 3rd and 4th rounder.... I know there's a flaw somewhere in this logic... do you nominate your taking F/S with certain picks before trade week? if so, how can teams outbid the other???

Take a few minutes to think about it, then post your conclusion.

Take a few minutes to think about it, then post your conclusion.
ok... Carlton like the look of Wallis... Dogs will try to get him with the latest pick possible... when does the bidding begin? Before trade week?

and now that you have two... Carlton like Wallis with their number 1.... Essendon like Libba with their number 1 pick... what happens???

ok... Carlton like the look of Wallis... Dogs will try to get him with the latest pick possible... when does the bidding begin? Before trade week?

and now that you have two... Carlton like Wallis with their number 1.... Essendon like Libba with their number 1 pick... what happens???

So even though Libba might be say worth top 10 and Essendon are willing to give top 10 for him... you would get him with pick 40 something... well out of all the draft to have F/S... dogs have hit the jackpot

So even though Libba might be say worth top 10 and Essendon are willing to give top 10 for him... you would get him with pick 40 something... well out of all the draft to have F/S... dogs have hit the jackpot

If other teams had a chance to pick up a F/S before that team even had a pick it would be called - 'the draft'.

If other teams had a chance to pick up a F/S before that team even had a pick it would be called - 'the draft'.
with their next pick!!! my mistake

the question relates to two F/S in the one draft... i would've thought that if two teams were prepared to offer first round picks for the players... and the rule is, if the team want to get the player under F/S... then they will need to nominate their next pick... in the example I gave, essendon want libba, carlton want wallis... Bulldogs nominate wallis... so essendon should be able to pick up libba... it's that part I don't understand the rule and hence asking the question.. and hence expect a non-sarcastic/non-ill-toned answer...

with their next pick!!! my mistake

the question relates to two F/S in the one draft... i would've thought that if two teams were prepared to offer first round picks for the players... and the rule is, if the team want to get the player under F/S... then they will need to nominate their next pick... in the example I gave, essendon want libba, carlton want wallis... Bulldogs nominate wallis... so essendon should be able to pick up libba... it's that part I don't understand the rule and hence asking the question.. and hence expect a non-sarcastic/non-ill-toned answer...

1) BEFORE trade week (so teams can't trade away early picks and use later ones for f/s players) the teams come together and discuss f/s players. If another team in interested in a f/s player then

2) The second team nominates a draft pick they would use to draft him with

3) The f/s player's eligable team then has to decide if they are prepared to use their NEXT AVAILABLE PICK to draft the player

So in the Wallis/Liba scenerio, say

Essendon bid #8 for Wallis
Carlton bid #18 for Libba

IF the Bulldogs decide to take both players under the f/s rule then their 1st rd pick will be used to pick up Wallis (Next available after pick #8) and their 2nd rd pick to pick up Libba (Their 1st rd pick is used up on Wallis so their next available will be their 2nd rd pick)

If on the other hand the tables were turned, and Essendon had a f/s player and the Bulldogs said they would draft him with their 1st rd pick (Will be what, in the 20's ???) then Essendon (who finished lower than the Bulldogs) would use their 2nd rd pick to select him (their 1st rd pick is before the Bulldogs 1st rd pick, so their next available would be their 2nd rd pick instead)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would do it but i would prefer giving away betts instead of walker

Wah!!??

Fifteenth in AFL for goals, first in AFL for goal assists. Top shelf forward defensive skills.

I don't think we should carry three small forwards into any matches, and I'll entertain trade scenarios, but let's not sell the farm hey.

Why?. He was touted as an All-Australian near round 16. A few bad games happens to everyone, especially playing the position Betts does. Supporters need a memory span that lasts beyond a few games.

Who we get so carried away with trading players. We've 2 in many years both in exceptional circumstances....Fev and Kennedy. Rest of our trades we use picks.

Not a good idea. I fell into the same trap of thinking he was shit because his last month/ 6 weeks but look at the stats, they don't lie. He was one of our best players this season as a whole and as another poster said around round 16 was in AA contention. Its easy to forget all that when he did so very little in the last little bit of the season. he'll come back strong and he's still young. Worth more than Everitt.

You want small forwards? Would you part with your first pick for Eddie Betts?
First live pick? Yes we would - it'll be close to pick 60 though.

I think it would be a pretty fair deal ..........

Walker could be played as a quick midfielder, but hasn't been able to break in there at Carlton and instead has been played as a flanker either end of the field.

Everitt seems to be in limbo himself, not quite a backman, not quite a forward, so at Carlton he would benefit from having a settled position.

There would be some posturing over draft picks (Upgrade my 4th rd pick to a 3rd rd pick kinda stuff) on either side but I could see this kinda deal going through IF both CONTRACTED players decided they wanted a new start

After 1 game? Everitt is useless he should be only swapped with the Dowler's and Newton's. Walker for Jones?

My prefered position for Walker this year would have been across the HFF line, but he has been played more in defence as a rebounding defender, running off a all. He also looked good across the HFF line against Collingwood in rd 18, scoring 2 goals in a quater IIRC. Not saying it stellar form, but there is merrit to him playing up forward .............

Keep Walker.
He still has upside.
Played great in Elimination Final.
Flew for marks, was good on the lead, good at ground level.
Should have had a few extra free kicks and shots on goal for being held/impeded by Mattner.
Kicked 3, should've kicked 5.
Another pre-season and increased strength, I think we still have a very high-quality player.

I like Andrejs Everitt and would like him at Carlton, but he is far less proven.
Not for Walker.

I've heard from another family member that he wants out but Carlton won't let him go.
Carlton were rumoured to want to trade Walker last year.

I believe we couldn't find a buyer for the player who hadn't shown that his body was sound.

It is now.

I believe Ratten wants to trade Walker like he wanted to trade Fevola.

Different reasons though.

Clearly isn't in our plans with Houlihan, Mclean, Lucas and Yarran missing from the side that played Sydney in the finals.
I don't think Carlton are going to trade out Walker because he has upside...but Everitt would suit their needs nicely. At his height, he tall enough to play Key Position and can play a utility role as well.

I would say Everitt fits the Blues needs more than Walker fits the Dogs needs. However if Harbrow goes, then Walker can play a back pocket role. However they still have Easton Wood coming through.

Perhaps they could use him more as a half forward with Johnson and Aka gone.

But purely from an outside point of view....trade currency is about even.

Walker perhaps has a bit more experience but has massive injury concerns...whilst Everitt has been given no opportunity so the Dogs can't demand too much. They nearly parted with him for Pick 25 last year.
I doubt that Everitt will develop into a KPP like Reid, Frawley, Pears and Brown. Even Waite isn't a genuine power KPP at his height and size. I see Everitt playing more the Gilbert, Goldsack and Bower role as a rebounding tall. Or possibly like Sam Fisher if he lives up to his draff position and talent. If Everitt wasn't a first round, you would be questioning why he hasn't cemented a spot in their best 22 in his fourth season.

I doubt that Everitt has Waite's intensity.

Walker would be better served played as a forward/wingman if the Dogs lose Stack and Hill on top of Aker and Johnson. Was dropped for his lack of hardness against the Pies, but showed a bit as a defensive forward in the finals.

If Walker is traded, I'd prefer a pick in the range of pick 26 to 33 than Everitt.

New blood that we can develop.

We've got a few defenders who are a similar type to Everitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back