Everitt/Thornton - I'm confused.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
Just read where Sydney might offer us nothing for Spida in the hope he will slip through to them in the PSD due to his heavy demands. I fear we'll get nothing for him.

Could the same scenario be applied to Thornton?

I'm confused as to an uncontracted player's rights in the PSD.

Does a player have specific demands that have to be met by a club before they can select him? If so, then maybe the clubs before us in the pecking order may not want to sign him for three years at the reported $300.000 per year. Is this possible?

I'm sure CP is much smarter than I, but I also feel there are a lot of his opponents who are out to get him after his previous brilliant manoeuvres at this time of year.

Can someone explain an uncontracted players involvement and rights here?

Thaihawk said:
Just read where Sydney might offer us nothing for Spida in the hope he will slip through to them in the PSD due to his heavy demands. I fear we'll get nothing for him.

Any person who thought Sydney would just lay down and hand over pick 15 or Buchanen or Malceski for a guy who is 33 and a loose cannon are just dreaming.

Be realistic and accept a 3rd round pick or package your 3rd round pick with Spida for the swans 2nd pick or you will end up with nothing.

p.s. You won't get Thornton in the PSD as Essendon or Port will trump you.

Thaihawk said:

Could the same scenario be applied to Thornton?

I'm confused as to an uncontracted player's rights in the PSD.

Does a player have specific demands that have to be met by a club before they can select him? If so, then maybe the clubs before us in the pecking order may not want to sign him for three years at the reported $300.000 per year. Is this possible?

I'm sure CP is much smarter than I, but I also feel there are a lot of his opponents who are out to get him after his previous brilliant manoeuvres at this time of year.

Can someone explain an uncontracted players involvement and rights here?

Basically,

If an uncontracted player isn't traded during Trade Week, then he is entered into the Pre-Season Draft, which has the same draft order as the National Draft (Carlton #1, Essendon #2 ... Hawthorn #6).

When a player enters the Pre-Season draft, however, he puts a price tag on his had which the club who signs him has to agree upon.

In regards to Spida, there is the chance that he could be made to enter the PSD, but with Sydney only having #15 in the PSD, I really, really doubt that he'll last that far, with Collingwood or even the Saints a chance of picking him up.

In regards to Thornton, he could also the PSD, but i'm almost certain that he wouldn't last till us at Pick 6. 22 year old KPP defenders don't grow on trees! Unless he sets an unreassonably large price tag on his head (which i'd disapprove the Hawks signing him on), he wont last till us in the PSD. I suppose our best option in regards to him is to get him to continually reinforce with Carlton that he wont be traded to another club bar Hawthorn (because I believe the players get the right to veto where they are traded to).

It should be an interesting week of trading.

This is Sydney's way of playing hard ball and pushing down the price. According to all media reports, we were looking at Sydney's 1st rounder whilst they were only offering a third rounder. Sydney's leadership group have already agreed to go after Spider. If you really wanted a player, you wouldn't risk 14 clubs getting a PSD crack at him before you. Sydney know their ruck stocks are amongst the worst half a dozen in the league and they'll make a trade happen.

The notion that Sydney will offer nothing and let Spida go to the PSD is just a bluff - and a stupid one if Sydney really did try it on. I very much doubt that there's any substance at all to that rumour.

It wouldn't aid negotiations between Hawthorn and Sydney, and Sydney has to remember that Hawthorn will probably be listening to (at least tentative) enquiries or offers from both Adelaide and St.Kilda for Everitt.

It's possible that someone from Sydney would say it in an attempt to remind Hawthorn to be reasonable, but it's a very amateurish negotiation tactic. I wouldn't have thought there'd be a place for amateurism at AFL trade week (then again, there's always Essendon, and there was the Veale Deal too).

Heropsychodreamer said:
OK, so if both Thornton and Everitt go into the PSD and Carlton pick up Thornton... lets pick up Everitt... if to do nothing else than piss him off

You wouldnt piss him off, he would probably be on a better deal than one he asked for from your club in the first place.

Mr.Likeable said:
The notion that Sydney will offer nothing and let Spida go to the PSD is just a bluff - and a stupid one if Sydney really did try it on. I very much doubt that there's any substance at all to that rumour.

It wouldn't aid negotiations between Hawthorn and Sydney, and Sydney has to remember that Hawthorn will probably be listening to (at least tentative) enquiries or offers from both Adelaide and St.Kilda for Everitt.

It's possible that someone from Sydney would say it in an attempt to remind Hawthorn to be reasonable, but it's a very amateurish negotiation tactic. I wouldn't have thought there'd be a place for amateurism at AFL trade week (then again, there's always Essendon, and there was the Veale Deal too).

You have no idea mate. If Everitt says he wants to go to Sydney (and by all reports that is his desired club) you can shop him around to Adelaide or St. Kilda all you like - you wont get anything for him as Everitt has to agree to the trade.

If you don't do the trade with Sydney, Everitt automatically goes into the PSD. Sydney has offered $1M for a 2 year deal and they are pretty confident that price won't be matched. So your option is to basically accept the deal or get nothing for him.

Hows does last years premier and this years runner up have 500k free to throw at players?
Have to agree to some extent - trade week is not going to go all our way - the tactics we try on other clubs will be used on us as well.

Sydney had space in the salary cap last year and that was before two highly paid players retired: Maxfield and Jason Ball. This year Williams retired and Oloughlin and Leo Barry eligible for the vetrans list. Lots of free space for the Everitt deal.

Pelchen has had a good run. This time around he's gonna get screwed over. ;)

burner1 said:
Hows does last years premier and this years runner up have 500k free to throw at players?
Have to agree to some extent - trade week is not going to go all our way - the tactics we try on other clubs will be used on us as well.

I believe they've got a couple of players entering the Veterans list. (O'Loughlin and ...?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jokiKan said:
Pelchen has had a good run. This time around he's gonna get screwed over. ;)

Not really.

Thornton doesn't go to the Hawks? Oh well, at least we tried, but i'm pretty sure we wont be losing any sleep afterwards.

Spida doesn't go to the 'club of his choice?' Again, Oh well, but i'm absolutely certain that no-one on the coaching staff will be losing any sleep over that.

philhawk said:
Spida doesn't go to the 'club of his choice?' Again, Oh well, but i'm absolutely certain that no-one on the coaching staff will be losing any sleep over that.

You can believe that all you like, fact remains you could have got something for him and you got nothing.

Sydney will get Spida in the PSD if you don't do the deal.

With the Thornton deal you are being cute with as well. You wanted 2 first round picks for Hay and will only give Carlton a 2nd rounder for Thorton:D Good luck.

jokiKan said:
You can believe that all you like, fact remains you could have got something for him and you got nothing.

Perhaps, but after all the disrepute and chaos he has brought to the club during his time with us, letting him loose into the PSD to a team who will most likely not win a flag in the next 2-3 season will be ever so sweet. :)

jokiKan said:
With the Thornton deal you are being cute with as well. You wanted 2 first round picks for Hay and will only give Carlton a 2nd rounder for Thorton:D Good luck.

Sure, we'll see who's laughing by the end of Trade Week.

kolchak said:
Spider will be laughing all the way to the bank!

I think so but good luck to him and the Swans need a player like Everitt. Paying 100K more or less to the Swans means nothing. Spida will get 800K plus bonuses which could see a salary of $1M for 2 years. Plus Ch.7 has offered him a salary ~ $60K per year if he moves to Sydney to do media activities there. The guy wants to come to Sydney that's clear and the Hawks are just pissing up the wind, they will get nothing if they don't do the deal.

What I really want to see though is that you guys miss out on Thornton. (and in the PSD) :D

jokiKan said:

Sydney will get Spida in the PSD if you don't do the deal.

Very doubtful. Little to no chance IMO of Spida lasting to pick 15 in the PSD if it came to that, even with that seemingly exorbitant $1mill/2yr price tag on his head. Saints would snap him up quick smart I would think, given he can go on their veterans list.

The only way Spida will go to Sydney is if Hawthorn and Sydney agree to terms this week. Roos is just attempting to play hardball, as he should be I guess.

jokiKan said:
I think so but good luck to him and the Swans need a player like Everitt. Paying 100K more or less to the Swans means nothing. Spida will get 800K plus bonuses which could see a salary of $1M for 2 years. Plus Ch.7 has offered him a salary ~ $60K per year if he moves to Sydney to do media activities there. The guy wants to come to Sydney that's clear and the Hawks are just pissing up the wind, they will get nothing if they don't do the deal.

What I really want to see though is that you guys miss out on Thornton. (and in the PSD) :D

Fine, not really a big supporter of the Thornton trade, and for spida, wish he was still playing for us but otherwise, cant wait to see the back of him now. We either push hard and try to get a great deal or we lose him for nothing. Pelchen nows exactly how it will go down. We dont really care if we screw up Sydneys or Spidas plans in the process.

OneEyedHawk said:
Very doubtful. Little to no chance IMO of Spida lasting to pick 15 in the PSD if it came to that, even with that seemingly exorbitant $1mill/2yr price tag on his head. Saints would snap him up quick smart I would think, given he can go on their veterans list.

Be realistic. WOuld the Saints really match Sydney's price for a player that wants to go to Sydney? They don't have that money anyway plus they want to get Johnstone from Essendon. Sydney's window of opportunity is the next 2 years -about what Spida can offer in terms of playing at a top level. I'm sure the thinking at St.Kilda is that their time is still to come.

What I really find amusing is that you guys wanted to scam a 1st rounder for Everitt (talk on this board) but were only willing to offer the same player a 1 year deal. :D What's up with that?

Its not Sydney playing hard ball its you guys.

Have a little faith in our trading. It's day one of a long week.

Spider will be traded.

Thornton is a great deal trickier. Carlton would be psycho to let him go to the PSD. If they redrafted him there they'ed be a laughing stock... more so.

There are other fish in the sea.

Pelchen plays a mean game of poker!

Day one pretty much went as you would expect. Carton have painted themselves into a corner based on the personality of Pagan.

The swannies pretty much hanging out for the best deal.

I hope we dont play games with dodgy PSD contracts. What goes around comes around.

jokiKan said:
Be realistic. WOuld the Saints really match Sydney's price for a player that wants to go to Sydney? They don't have that money anyway plus they want to get Johnstone from Essendon.
I don't recall him saying he only wants to play with Sydney. I'm sure he said on MMM not long ago that he was open to discussions with the Saints, or words to that effect. In any case, I'd think Spida would be far more attractive to St Kilda than Johnson. Most of the footy world seems to think a quality ruckman (and maybe a half-decent run with injuries) is what stands between them and a premiership.
I don't think it's Jason Johnson that's the missing link.

jokiKan said:
Sydney's window of opportunity is the next 2 years -about what Spida can offer in terms of playing at a top level. I'm sure the thinking at St.Kilda is that their time is still to come.
Huh? St Kilda's time is now, just like the Swans.

jokiKan said:
What I really find amusing is that you guys wanted to scam a 1st rounder for Everitt (talk on this board) but were only willing to offer the same player a 1 year deal. :D What's up with that?
Why would we take a gamble with a 32yo Ruckman who won't be around when we're ready to challenge for a flag? If he was what stood between us and a flag, then he probably would've got his 2yrs.

jokiKan said:

You're happy to pay him 1million over two years. Probably because you believe he could deliver you another flag, but apparently he's not worth a first round pick.

How does that work?

Remove this Banner Ad

Everitt/Thornton - I'm confused.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back