Rumour Ex AFL star Brian Lake arrested in Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else here been to Asia?

Driving in Surabaya East Java with my missus a couple of years ago had an accident with a motorbike. Making a right turn we were waved through an intersection by a one of these self appointed traffic wardens (very common in Indonesia) and the bike comes flying through hits the front left corner of our car. I lose my shit, get out of the front passenger seat and start abusing the guy on the bike who looks back at us and then rides off as I head towards him. At this stage there's a small crowd of people staring at me like I'm crazy. My missus tells me to get back in the car while I'm sill carrying on saying the motherf****r just did a hit run did anyone get the rego. So apparently things like that aren't a big deal over there but when an Aussie gets out of a car and starts road raging after an accident (which is pretty normal here in Melb) it's gonna create a much bigger scene than the actual accident lol and this is not a tourist spot so most of these people have never seen a westerner. Anyway the missus explained to me that theres no point in chasing the guy up for compensation as most people who ride bikes are poor. It just surprised me the way you have an accident and then just continue on without exchanging details and that's accepted. So different to here.

Sure, re Asia generally, but excluding Japan.

Back in the 2000's I lived in Tokyo/Yokohama for a total of 6 years, learned Japanese, entertained Japanese at business functions, and let me tell you, bud, getting drunk after work for many locals is de rigueur. Part of bonding. Waking up in the cold, dark train at the end of the line, at midnight, having slept thru your stop, is common.

Difference is - the Japanese salarymen drunks are not aggressive like the Brits/Aussies.
Massive drinkers! Guess they don't get aggressive because they pass out before they get to that phase

Back in the 2000's I lived in Tokyo/Yokohama for a total of 6 years, learned Japanese, entertained Japanese at business functions, and let me tell you, bud, getting drunk after work for many locals is de rigueur. Part of bonding. Waking up in the cold, dark train at the end of the line, at midnight, having slept thru your stop, is common.

Difference is - the Japanese salarymen drunks are not aggressive like the Brits/Aussies.

Don’t the Koreans get absolutely blasted, too? I heard a story from a mate’s mate about a job interview that moved into a long dinner and finished in a sauna, drinking the entire time.

It can work in your advantage (you will be forgiven for not knowing the sophisticated etiquette that guides all their interactions in daily life), however you don't want to get involved in physical altercations as you will be immediately be considered at fault in a lot of cases.

Yes, even if you see someone in trouble you shouldn't get involved in any physical altercations as you will be the one blamed. It's not as great as people make out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t the Koreans get absolutely blasted, too? I heard a story from a mate’s mate about a job interview that moved into a long dinner and finished in a sauna, drinking the entire time.
In my experience not as much as the Japanese corporates.

But in both countries part of our KPI's was evening entertainment for US/local cultural bonding whereby I was offered (among other things) as a delicacy, a lot of dog yakitori.

What can you say but Oishi-no [dee-licious].

I could, in the end, taste the difference between Labrador, Poodle, whippet etc.

In my experience not as much as the Japanese corporates.

But in both countries part of our KPI's was evening entertainment for US/local cultural bonding whereby I was offered (among other things) as a delicacy, a lot of dog yakitori.

What can you say but Oishi-no [dee-licious].

I could, in the end, taste the difference between Labrador, Poodle, whippet etc.

Yeah, eating dog is a Korean thing, never heard of it being done in Japan, I joked about it once with Japanese friends and they rather straight-faced said, 'that's Korea'.
Any way, wouldn't it be called Yaki-inu?

Yeah, eating dog is a Korean thing, never heard of it being done in Japan, I joked about it once with Japanese friends and they rather straight-faced said, 'that's Korea'.
Any way, wouldn't it be called Yaki-inu?
Its called Thit-Cho in Vietnam.

Useless information. They eat everything over there.

Yeah the wake-up in the train, or sleep at the station and go straight to work, is pretty common and accepted practice over there from what I understand. There's certainly not the stigma attached to such behavior as there is here, probably because as you mentioned, they aren't generally aggressive, belligerent drunks, and it's seen as a valid and necessary outlet after long, timesome work hours.

Dog yakitori a delicacy? In Japan? Doubt it.
I am reporting my direct experience, bud. I have had senior Japanese executives, in Japanese restaurants, specifically choose dog for me as a delicacy. Which I could't refuse.

But certainly it is a far more common dish in Korea, where I also lived for a while.

I am reporting my direct experience, bud. I have had senior Japanese executives, in Japanese restaurants, specifically choose dog for me as a delicacy. Which I could't refuse.

But certainly it is a far more common dish in Korea, where I also lived for a while.

Okay, I'll take your word for it.

Good news that Lake's been released. Now don't do it again, Brian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Ex AFL star Brian Lake arrested in Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back