Media Ex-Royal returns to where it all began

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
The Gold City Royals are pleased to continue to be the team of the moment and announce the return of a legend of our game. Known as an uncompromising antagonist and with a renewed thirst for Qooty success, chasing that ever illusive maiden premiership, it gives me great pleasure to welcome Uncle_Leo back to the Golden Throne where it all began.

1718942727079.png 1718941565865.png 1718942739668.png

Cads: G'day Uncle, welcome back mate! It's been 7 seasons you've been absent from the league, what motivates you and brings you back to the League?

UL: Hey Cads, I have had a lot of stuff going on, new jobs, raising a young family and I think right now is the perfect time for me to come back. to come back to the team where I started who I always felt was my home and to be here to help it get to where it should be at the top.

I have said (jokingly) in the past this league needs me but I feel more than ever it needs me. I'm looking forward to doing the media pieces in The Den and also my much loved (depending who you ask) overrated and underrated lists.

I know at my very best I can be a force to be reckoned with and want to be with the Royals when that happens

Cads: You mentioned you started your career at the Royals, but after a 12 season, 7 club career, you seem more like a gun for hire so far. was there ever a pull to return to the Royals sooner? and if so, any reason why it didn't happen?

UL: Look to be honest I was lost for a while and made some mistakes. I stand by my decision to leave the Royals after season 1. The offer from the Furies was great and I loved my time there, so no regrets, my only one would be leaving the Furies and going elsewhere, I should have gone back to the Royals once I left them as thats where my heart was. The rest of the clubs were a mess and they had no idea how to manage me and I felt out of place. The Royals are my home, its where I was at my best and I'm ready to get back to there

Cads: you returned for a short stint at the Wolves/Gumbies, then someone had a cry that you were going too hard, so you left for the dragons. What was that all about?

UL: I think that was after the Dragons stint, I dunno its all such a blur with everyone not handling it well, including me.

i was brought across as the Gumbies changed their name from that to the Wolves, they wanted a harder edge and wanted me, I saw it as a leap to become a leader with the change they had, it lasted all of one pre season game after A Bit High pulled me into line after I suggested the team the previous season was no good (which was correct). I challenged him for the leadership and lost out and that was the end of that. I have learnt from that and in the end really it was a mistake going to either the Dragons or the Gumbwolves, both were beneath me and my heart just wasn't in it at all

FP32: You were part of a powerhouse S16 rookie intake including Myself, The Filth Wizard & fitzroybowiedog and you won the the EKA that season. As a former EKA winner, what advice would you give rookies just joining the league on how to embrace the league and make an impact in their first season?

UL: I'd suggest just embrace it, earn your stripes and don't be intimidated by others that have been here for too long and have fun. Don't take offense and enjoy the SFA for what it is.

Also do some MEDIA!

Cads: you used to run a media thread called "The Den" where you would interview players throughout the season and then give your top 10 most overrated and underrated players at the end. Is this something you're considering bringing back?

UL: Absolutely , would love to bring back The Den and interview the newer talent in the league. I felt it was great to talk to people from other clubs and delve deeper into what’s going on. I was very fortunate I had so many so yes to doing it who were legends of the league

As for the overrated and underrated lists, well they are a certainty. Just for the meltdowns that happened

Cads: what is it that you will bring to the Royals next season and beyond?

UL: Presence, reliability, experience and a hard edge. Something I have always had, look it may have mellowed a bit as I get older but I think I can still go with the best of them.

I'd love to lead this club, that doesn't mean a title, I'm not here to take anyones jobs, but I want to be seen as a leader and help out where I can. The Royals gave me a chance long ago, they are giving me another one now, its time to repay the faith and show what I can do posting and on the Qooty field

FP32: What's your favourite biscuit?

UL: Ginger snaps

Cads: And who's your favourite Spice Girl?

UL: Ginger Spice!

Cads: Thanks Uncle_Leo. Were excited to have you back and looking forward to what you're going to bring to the Royals next season.​

A S16 rookie hey?

Doesn’t help lower the average age of the Royals, it is still somewhere between retirement and Nursing Home.

Welcome back Uncle_Leo, this place needs some more … * insert whatever you are offering here *.

Wow you are in the Hall of Fame and a Wonder
Season 17 What GIF by America's Got Talent

Wow you are in the Hall of Fame and a Wonder, some good and bad there

Next you'll be telling me ClarkeM is the admin LOL

Ha, no, I'm a Warrior. Those Wonders cheques never cleared in time.

Welcome back @Uncle_Leo, this place needs some more … * insert whatever you are offering here *.
Leo was the Bombers before the Bombers were the Bombers. And he did it perfectly.

Uncle_Leo you probably won’t remember me because we’ve never met. Unfortunately you won’t forget me either so I’m really sorry for your loss! But welcome back??

No I don't remember you, strange that.

Bombers hey? is that loser iBeng still there? The Whyalla w***er

Doesn’t help lower the average age of the Royals, it is still somewhere between retirement and Nursing Home.

*Watch this space ______

I'm serious.

A S16 rookie hey?

Welcome back Uncle_Leo, this place needs some more … * insert whatever you are offering here *.

Rather confusing reading about nursing homes and then realising the aged jokes are not about me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WELCOME HOME! Uncle Leo.

On the ginger thing, my wife and I once had a massive argument over whether we should put ginger in a curry. She thought you should, I wasn't so sure. Anyway. After a while I acquiesced and let her put ginger in a curry. But I was still upset, I mean, I LOVED that cat.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Ex-Royal returns to where it all began

Remove this Banner Ad

Back