Excuses for not going to work

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's see what you'd do in this scenario.

You take your children to daycare and because one of them is coughing and has a runny nose they won't take them in. What would you do next?

Annual leave, in what way are you unfit to attend work? My workplace doesn't allow people to work overtime on weekends if they have used a sick day during the week, somehow carer's day's are not considered sick days so people use it to take a day off and not miss out on overtime. I've seen people take a few weeks off holidays and then phone in with the carers leave when they are due back to get an extra couple of days. Guys phoning in saying they need to look after their wife/gf because they are sick :rolleyes:, secondary school aged kids with the flu apparently needing full time parental care. I'm not saying there are not genuine cases but as you can see, carers leave in general is easily rorted.

Such a weird stigma to using sick days that we have created a whole culture of "pulling a sickie". Why should I need a doctors note for a single day off? In the 8 years Iv worked I think iv taken about 4 to 5 sick days, and all have been legit. One job I had, woke up on a Friday prior to a long weekend with some pretty shocking conjunctivitis. Boss wouldn't have a bar of it as "I sounded too healthy on the phone".

Anyway, gastro or family crisis are excuses that wont have any follow up unless the higher ups are absolute jerks.

Habitual sickie pullers shit me, but the guys I manage don't exploit that, we've got an understanding that if they're going to take a sickie, instead of this fake bullshit on the morning of, they just ask for the day off and I almost always grant it.

Edit - like Gough and his crew of ballers.

Why should you get the day off because you cant take care of your kids?

Maybe i want the day off too.
Said the unemployed bum.

I don't 'get' the day off. I am allocated a certain number of personal days per year to use when sick or required to care for someone in my care. Why would I use annual leave to care for a sick child rejected by the daycare centre when I've got careers leave written into my agreement? It'd be like using your annual leave when you are sick.

It just shits me that it's usually the lazy people that constantly take sickies.

I overheard managers talking about one particular person that takes sickies like clockwork. We accrue sick days on a fortnightly basis, so you get like half a day every two weeks. As soon as this person hits a full day sick leave they chuck a sickie, usually on a Monday. So they're constantly going from 0 - 1 day sick leave.

There is a culture that if you take a sickie you're lazy, so often people will come into work if they're semi-sick, just to show that they're a hard worker. People generally don't want to appear to be lazy. Which is somewhat unfair, if you're sick, the leave entitlements are there so you can look after your health and wellbeing. Besides, it's a pain in the ass trying to do your work while your brain is foggy and you aren't feeling 100%. Nothing better than being able to stay in bed when you're feeling under the weather. However, sometimes I'll have an important meeting, or a stack of work to do that really can't wait until I recover, so I'll go in and get it done, take the rest of the day off and whatever additional days it takes to recover.

Im no bum. Its self funded and i have job offers.

I guess if its in your contract that you can do that then good for you. I was assuming they were separate from sickies.
They are separate but have the same system of "you get X days of carers leave per year."

Have known people who take it when their partner is sick, it's not just a kid thing (though I've no idea why an adult needs a carer unless they're going in for surgery or something else of that magnitude)

Im no bum. Its self funded and i have job offers.
I guess if its in your contract that you can do that then good for you. I was assuming they were separate from sickies.

Nope all in the same barrel so if I milk carer's leave and am then sick for a week I have to use annual leave or take unpaid leave.... same as those who milk 'sickies'. Like I said I only use it when I my only option is to leave a 1 or 4 year old home alone whilst I got to work or take carer's leave. Similar to how most the guys at work use their sickies when they have been to a festival and are still coming down and have to choose between skagging out at work or skagging out at home...

Have known people who take it when their partner is sick, it's not just a kid thing (though I've no idea why an adult needs a carer unless they're going in for surgery or something else of that magnitude)
I took a week when my Wife returned home with our second and was recovering whilst trying to look after a newborn and a three year old. If she is 'ill' she's on her own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reality is you have to make it as financially viable as possible for people to have kids if they want to.

It's an economic issue. All the planning and policies in the world won't make a difference if we don't have people coming into the workforce. Our population is already ageing.
Not to mention that in this economic environment and certainly in various industries such as Govt, Local Govt and NGOs, sometimes the only carrot to keep or attract good employees you have to offer is generous work conditions.

They are separate but have the same system of "you get X days of carers leave per year."

Do people without kids or a partner get allocated these separate days too?

Reality is you have to make it as financially viable as possible for people to have kids if they want to.

It's an economic issue. All the planning and policies in the world won't make a difference if we don't have people coming into the workforce. Our population is already ageing.

No, you dont. If people choose to have kids they should do so at their own expense. We are not talking about welfare for the unemployed and starving here.

Lifes not all about work. Planning and policies should not be relied on to make a difference in this world.

It sickens me that because i am childless and single i get disadvantaged.

Maybe i should have rorted centrelink whilst im unemployed instead of, you know, paying for things myself. Thats your logic i used there.

No, you dont. If people choose to have kids they should do so at their own expense. We are not talking about welfare for the unemployed and starving here.

It sickens me that because i am childless and single i get disadvantaged.
Wow you appear to have a proper chip on your shoulder there petal.
First of all carers leave costs the employer not you so Centrelink has nothing to do with it. Second of all I can guarantee I take less legitimate carers days per year (1-2) than my childless and single colleagues take dodgy sickies after festivals or mid week nights out.
Not sure how much life advice I should be taking from someone that can't hold down a job in any case.

Im not giving life advice, just an opinion.

And i can hold down a job just fine. It was my choice.
So your 'opinion' included:
Claiming you were financially disadvantaged (even though you are unemployed) because employers extend sick leave to carers leave under the same scheme
A person is 'unable to look after their children' if they need to take a day off work when they are rejected by daycare for being sick even though it's taken from the same stream as sick leave

Did I miss anything ********?

Last edited:
Why should you get the day off because you cant take care of your kids?

Maybe i want the day off too.

???

Not taking care of your kids apparently now = your kid got sick (flu/gastro) and not allowed to go to daycare (for pretty obvious reasons).

I understand your point. But there is no point whinging about it because no fair solution. Do you honestly think that say a three year old with gastro should be left alone at home for an entire day because the parent had to work??? Really? Wow if so...

And parents are not special, they get sick/rundown too, just like the unemployed. So combine that with the fact that you can't leave a ****ing child at home when it's spewing from both ends and you get carers leave :thumbsu:

Taking care of your kids = being responsible for them. Cant you just take a day off unpaid, if you dont know anybody else that will mind them?

My dual income family seemed to grow up just fine without "day care". Why can't you?

I also got left at home when I was sick. Mum would hire me some videos. Are your kids that irresponsible that you cant do this?

All employees get minimum of 10 days personal leave which encompasses sick leave, carers leave and compassionate leave.

It's not like parents are entitled to extra leave if their child is sick, they are taking it from their own sick leave entitlement.

Parents don't have a choice on whether they come in or not if their child is sick.

Taking care of your kids = being responsible for them. Cant you just take a day off unpaid, if you dont know anybody else that will mind them?

Why would I take a pay hit when there is a specific pay stream for the exact type of leave I am taking in my agreement?

My dual income family seemed to grow up just fine without "day care". Why can't you?

Don't know how much financial advice I should take from someone in a no income family with no property but it's because the housing price to income ratio has gone from 2 to over 5 since 1980. If you chose to purchase a house in this day and age you must also chose to be prepared to fund it with two working parents unless you are earning over $130k
ScreenHunter_01-Aug.-13-19.00-294x300.gif

I could say my dad grew up without the internet or a mobile phone. Why can't you? ...but I'd probably sound like an idiot with no idea that things change over time.

I also got left at home when I was sick. Mum would hire me some videos. Are your kids that irresponsible that you cant do this?
Your mum left you home alone with videos when you were a one year old? That might actually explain your inability to find a partner, a job, buy a house or see past your own selfish Gen Y circumstances in life

Remove this Banner Ad

Excuses for not going to work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back