expansion after 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not Reservoir (Victoria)? They could play at Barling Reserve (opposite Reservoir district college). Sure the ground doesnt have any seats and is more of a park than a football ground, but it can be used when the concrete cricket pitch is removed.

And when that team starts raking it in, expand further in 2030 to East Reservoir and cue the intra-Reservoir rivalry.

Surely the Hunter Valley needs a team.

Seriously, in one of the millions of threads calling for North to be killed that used to appear here, someone genuinely suggested we be replaced by a Hunter Valley team.

Go the Vitners!

Newcastle/Hunter would make more sense than Taree; and Albury-Wodonga would make more sense than Dubbo. But even they wouldn't make much sense.
Anywhere north of the Murrumbidgee River has Australian Football very much in the minority. And unless you've got a major population centre, it's going to be very hard to raise enough public interest and corporate sponsorship. Taree has a population of 20,000, Dubbo has about 35,000, neither has the corporate headquarters of any major companies or significant corporate base, and I doubt there'd be 1,000 Australian Football fans in either city.

And either this division or one of the others surely could manage a Tasmanian team. Tasmania would be more viable than Port Lincoln or Colac.

Can I gently suggest this thread might be a North supporter expressing their frustration at the large amounts of these kind of idiotic suggestions that appear on the main board - generally calling for North and Melbourne to be killed/merged - and replaced with the Cape York Crocidiles and the Wyndham Wizards and stuff like this.

I don't think clogging up the main board with jokes is wise - thems mods is fierce ugly litte buggers when riled - howevere the fact that people are actually replying to this seriously demonstrates that it has transcended humour and into the realm of the truly bizarre.

I mean - Dubbo? Really?

Can I gently suggest this thread might be a North supporter expressing their frustration at the large amounts of these kind of idiotic suggestions that appear on the main board - generally calling for North and Melbourne to be killed/merged - and replaced with the Cape York Crocidiles and the Wyndham Wizards and stuff like this.

I don't think clogging up the main board with jokes is wise - thems mods is fierce ugly litte buggers when riled - howevere the fact that people are actually replying to this seriously demonstrates that it has transcended humour and into the realm of the truly bizarre.

I mean - Dubbo? Really?

Obviously these people haven't read the constructive graphical chart I offered them further up on this topic as a form of helpful advice here SLF ;)

Won't happen and since when has the AFL put the fans first before their precious money?

Exactly. If the AFL were truly putting fans first, Tasmania would have a team now, instead of West Sydney getting one.

Why not Reservoir (Victoria)? They could play at Barling Reserve (opposite Reservoir district college). Sure the ground doesnt have any seats and is more of a park than a football ground, but it can be used when the concrete cricket pitch is removed.

And when that team starts raking it in, expand further in 2030 to East Reservoir and cue the intra-Reservoir rivalry.

I don't think Reservoir would support a team. Yet. But I love the concept of the rivalry. I'd be thinking just outside Melbourne, like Seymour. Perfect opportunity. Seymour would love their own team. Big time.

I'd be keen to see a place like Orange have their own team. Can you imagine the spice when Dubbo play Orange for the right to meet Geraldton in the AFL Grand Final. What a moment that would be.

What about Mt Gambier versus Port Lincoln? Would the Mt Gambierians make the trip? I think so. Huge regional game for the state of S.A.

We could have a team playing on Uranus even!

I nominate Fev to captain them... :p

BAIRNSDALE! WTF...........

Iv'e been to Bairnsdale plenty of times. It's a small town of about 20,000 people FFS with absoloutley nothing in sight but doll bludgers.............I seriously doubt one Rugby fan live's there, LOL.................The entire Gippsland region could never support an AFL team to start with, so how did you pick out Bairnsdale?.....Hell, let's throw Moe and Nar Nar Goon in the mix while we're there. LOL

Buddy, you must have smoked way to much pot or your taking the Piss. So which is it?

ha ha ha ha

Actually RL can have them!

If Melbourne Storm average 10k to games you would expect about 27 people in Bairnsdale to an NRL game. LOL

I think all the towns listed above should have TWO teams.

Its all about the DERBY.

I mean, I despise rugby league, always have. Stupid game.

But see if the NRL put another team in Melbourne, my lifelong dislike of rugby league would be immediately overcome simply by the chance of seeing two teams playing a game I don't like in my home city.

You know it makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh that's good... Bloody hell, you've got the art of irony DOWN mate! :D That's one that'd make Steve Martin proud. With that kind of mastery, you REALLY ought to be a Demons fan...

"Oh irony! No, we don't get that here. You see, people here ski topless while smoking dope, so irony's not really a high priority. Last time we had any irony round here was back in '93 when I was the sole practitioner of it, and I stopped because I was tired of being stared at!" ;)

I don't think Reservoir would support a team. Yet. But I love the concept of the rivalry. I'd be thinking just outside Melbourne, like Seymour. Perfect opportunity. Seymour would love their own team. Big time.

I'd be keen to see a place like Orange have their own team. Can you imagine the spice when Dubbo play Orange for the right to meet Geraldton in the AFL Grand Final. What a moment that would be.

What about Mt Gambier versus Port Lincoln? Would the Mt Gambierians make the trip? I think so. Huge regional game for the state of S.A.

LOL have you ever been to Seymour before?
If AFL players were based there in that town they would make the West Coast Eagles drug scandal look like nothing :p
Seriously though does Seymour even have a population of 5 000?

Towns like these can't even get VFL sides!
Why the hell would they get AFL sides.

If AFL players were based there in that town they would make the West Coast Eagles drug scandal look like nothing :p

You reckon? Wait until the new AFL bid from Nimbin hits the press old son... :p

Sporting facilities
Ted Summerton Reserve is used for Australian Rules Football and Cricket and is within walking distance of the Moe V/line train station. The town has an Australian Rules football team competing in the West Gippsland Latrobe Football League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe,_Victoria

If this ground was redeveloped for AFL, think of the potential. Right on the V/Line track to Melbourne, great access to other regional cities. It's just a matter of making that initial investment.

Waverely suffered for years by not having a dedicated rail link. Moe would succeed where Waverely failed.

It's all about the infrastructure. Having an AFL team would also grow the town. It would be the centre of Gippsland, and generate huge publicity for AFL and the region.

But it's all about infrastructure. If they already have the station next to the ground, wouldn't it be stupid to waste that? They would dea-set love their own AFL team.

is this a joke? how could teams that play in country towns ever make enough revenue to even break even with its expenses??
and even if somehow they could afford to field a team we can't just keep dilluting the talent pool unless we want to watch a bunch of duds running round every weekend.

Yeah, a team in Moe, sounds like a great idea... it could be run by Moe and fans could indulge in a Flaming Moe at every game... :p

Flaming-Moe-2.jpg

Seriously though does Seymour even have a population of 5 000?

Towns like these can't even get VFL sides!
Why the hell would they get AFL sides.

If you build it, they will come.

I think we should have a team in fast growing Lagos, Nigeria.

Surely the fast-growing region argument isn't just applied to Australia?

Maybe a team in Coober Pedy? They could play underground with lots & lots of torches... it'd be a nice novelty, only danger is the risk of getting singed by the lights every time you get too close to the boundary, or anywhere else on the field for that matter!

Plus there'd be a lot more breaks for relighting, and the constant smoke would be a bit of a bugger too, but nevertheless... oh, now I'm just getting silly! :p

If the AFL were truly putting fans first, Tasmania would have a team now, instead of West Sydney getting one.

Woah, woah, slow down. Tassy's time will come. It's important to shore up the mainland first and some of the Rugby League areas in regional NSW to grow the game.

I know Dubbo might sound strange to some but it is the mid point link. You can go east to Sydney, North to Brisbane, South to Melbourne, and west to Adelaide. And opposition fans can access games helping with Dubbo's revenue streams because of the road network. Anyone can drive to Dubbo.

How can Tassy get oppostion fans to come to Tasmania?? You have to get on a boat or a plane! Think of the lost gate receipts from opposition fans who won't go on a plane to Tassy, but who WOULD get in their cars and go to Dubbo or Bairnsdale. The only people who would go to Tasmanian game would be locals.

Tassy's time will come, but maybe in the next stage of expansion after the ones I am proposing. Crossing the water is a huge inconvenience for a lot of people. Let's crawl before we walk, and their time will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back