expansion after 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No the Coober Pedy Opals playing underground is a great idea.

I for one am looking forward to rugging up for when North play the Heard Island Orcas.

Footy is a winter game after all.

I know Dubbo might sound strange to some but it is the mid point link. You can go east to Sydney, North to Brisbane, South to Melbourne, and west to Adelaide. And opposition fans can access games helping with Dubbo's revenue streams because of the road network. Anyone can drive to Dubbo.

How can Tassy get oppostion fans to come to Tasmania?? You have to get on a boat or a plane! Think of the lost gate receipts from opposition fans who won't go on a plane to Tassy, but who WOULD get in their cars and go to Dubbo or Bairnsdale.

Settle Kanga... have yourself a Flaming Moe & calm down son... :p

No the Coober Pedy Opals playing underground is a great idea.

I for one am looking forward to rugging up for when North play the Heard Island Orcas.

Footy is a winter game after all.

Exceptional idea SLF! And as for Orca supporters- well, they'd be more articulate than some Collingwood fans, that's for sure... ;)

If anything, the AFL should have far less clubs. Ideally, Melbourne wouldn't have more than two or three. Plus Geelong and the interstate clubs, that's an even twelve.

If anything, the AFL should have far less clubs. Ideally, Melbourne wouldn't have more than two or three. Plus Geelong and the interstate clubs, that's an even twelve.

Well, we can ditch Carlton for a start.

Still owe the AFL loads and now Mr Pratt has gone to the great Competition Commission hearing in the sky, their sugardaddy is gone.

Who is next?

Heard Island Orcas could use Free Willy as an inspiration. That was a good movie.

Don't be ridiculous. There is no way that Heard Island could support an AFL team. :rolleyes: Its half-way between Antarctica and Madagascar. Where would their fan base come from?

Apart from Tasmania, the only Island that could support a proper AFL team would be King Island.

Even Fraser Island would be pushing it, although they would be able to generate fans from nearby Maryborough, Bundaberg, and even Rockhampton. But they'd need a ground and infrastructure first. Big ask.

King Islsand has a ground, so maybe in the next phase of expansion after 2030, they could be an option for an AFL franchise.

But Heard Island, no way. You can't be serious. :rolleyes:

Even Fraser Island would be pushing it, although they would be able to generate fans from nearby Maryborough, Bundaberg, and even Rockhampton. But they'd need a ground and infrastructure first. Big ask.

It was a foolish man who built his stadium upon the sand... :p

Heard Island would draw significant support from people on Antarctic research stations and Japanese whaling fleets.

Think of the TV rights if we could crack the Japanese market.

Worth the investment IMO.

Ditch North, Melbourne, the Dogs, Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood should be wound up to fund this.

The investment will pay off ciirca 2100.

(St Kilda will be relocated to the Solomon Islands for those wondering)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be ridiculous. There is no way that Heard Island could support an AFL team. :rolleyes: Its half-way between Antarctica and Madagascar. Where would their fan base come from?

Apart from Tasmania, the only Island that could support a proper AFL team would be King Island.

King Islsand has a ground, so maybe in the next phase of expansion after 2030, they could be an option for an AFL franchise.

But Heard Island, no way. You can't be serious. :rolleyes:

Yes clearly I was being serious. Using Free Willy as inspiration for the name of the sporting club would clearly show the seriousness of my statement. Clearly............I am taking the piss.
I didn't even come up with the team name. If you read the whole thread you will see I was taking the piss with someone else. :rolleyes:

Yes clearly I was being serious. Using Free Willy as inspiration for the name of the sporting club would clearly show the seriousness of my statement. Clearly............I am taking the piss.
I didn't even come up with the team name. If you read the whole thread you will see I was taking the piss with someone else. :rolleyes:

I'm not nostradamus. I can't read what you are thinking. Heard Island, you've gotta be kidding me. As if. Never gonna happen pal. Heard Island will not be in the AFL's plans in the next 30 years.

Getting back on topic, now what would the Colac team be called? Would it be lifted straight from the Colac league (a la Port Magpies, became Port Power) or would it be a brand new franchise?

Imagine the rivalry when the Geelong Cats play the Colac Wildcats.

Oh my God... Kanga didn't realise we were all taking the piss? Really? If true, that makes this a utterly classic moment... I know I've been taking the piss in all but one of my posts since this topic started! Been making it VERY obvious too :D

Take my advice Kanga... even if you weren't taking the piss as well, just act as though you were, it may be all that saves you!

Now I'm going off to finish drinking my Flaming Moe... :p

Lots of kids in their late teens call Mt. Gambier "Mount get me out of here". Good luck getting an 18 year old draftee to move there. Especially with the rockin night life and abundance of beautiful women.

Only 25,000 people live there too. Good luck filling an oval. Only real redeeming feature is the fact that it's pretty much halfway between Adelaide and Melbourne.

Same with Alice Springs. Smallish population and in the middle of nowhere. Mount Gambier and Alice Springs definatley should get teams before Hobart or Darwin.

Nah Ross, it's GOT to be Coober Pedy first- followed closely by Heard Island- sheer Aussie ingenuity dictates it! I mean, SURELY we can teach seals to play Aussie Rules can't we? ;)

Nah Ross, it's GOT to be Coober Pedy first- followed closely by Heard Island- sheer Aussie ingenuity dictates it! I mean, SURELY we can teach seals to play Aussie Rules can't we? ;)

Why not chuck a team up at Keith, SA. If they ever make a grand final they could set up a few hey bales wishing the team luck, just like they did for Modra a couple of years ago.:D

No, let's go to the logical extreme & lobby for a new AFL club in Snowtown! The mascot would certainly be an obvious choice. For the sake of comedy, it demands at least some consideration.. :p

PS- Logical extreme, who am I kidding, we got to that point and went right on past it hours ago :D

If we could just get back on topic for a moment. In all seriousness, with the explosion of people living in the South-East Queensland area, a Tweed Heads AFL team could be next cab off the rank if we are talking expansion.

It would generate a natural rivalry with The Gold Coast. I mean, would there BE a better local derby? It would be massive.

And it also plays on the NSW versus Qld rivarly. Tweed Heads is actually part of NSW, so you'd have two teams playing each other 20 km's apart, one from Queensland and the other from NSW. Can you imagine how much they would want to beat each other! Money wouldn't be an issue. The locals would get behind it. Rivarly creates competition which helps business.

Nah, this would be my ideal national competition for the AFL in the long-term future.

Victorian division

Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Fitzroy
Geelong
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Richmond
St Kilda
South Melbourne
Western Bulldogs

Non-Victorian division

Adelaide
Alice Springs
Brisbane
Canberra
Darwin
Fremantle
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Tasmania
West Coast
West Sydney

Or you could have a West/East or North/South division, with 12 teams in each division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back